Thread: DGT Bird difference!

DGT Bird difference!

Hi guys, not sure if there's a thread already on this but I have a 2009 10 Top DGT with birds and recently got a Goldtop DGT number 3 of 5 aged ones especially made for Peach Guitars 5th anniversary in London, England.
    The 2009 has just outline birds where the other has full birds if you know what I mean. I just wondered if anyone could tell me the history or what not?

Thanks
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by samldr1984 View Post
    Hi guys, not sure if there's a thread already on this but I have a 2009 10 Top DGT with birds and recently got a Goldtop DGT number 3 of 5 aged ones especially made for Peach Guitars 5th anniversary in London, England.
    The 2009 has just outline birds where the other has full birds if you know what I mean. I just wondered if anyone could tell me the history or what not?

Thanks
    Sam
    In 2008 PRS changed from the standard birds they had all along to more of a outline bird with the neck's rosewood in the center. It didn't last more than a year or two and they changed again to a bird that could be seen better at a distance (my words not theirs). They have a number of bird constructions now. All of them more defined than the ones in 2008-2009. Those may become collector items as they get more rare, who knows. Now the originals are called "old birds". Personally I like the old birds and the newest rimmed birds with a MOP of some kind outlining the birds and a darker type of inlay in the center. They look pretty cool. I really like the 2008's with a rosewood center too, but they are just harder to see.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2008 Mira, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2012 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

The outline birds went from 2008 to early 2010. I personally love them, they're a little more understated than the old birds. But AP515 is right that they're harder to see from a distance.

Thanks chaps, that clears that up. I must say I like both of them. I'm glad I have a few different ones.

Would love to see some pictures of your DGT's. That aged one sounds stellar.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Will get some uploaded

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Can't understand why someone would do that to a new guitar?????
    PRS Guitars Endorsee....White and Relic'd Ones !

The earliest DGT's in 2007 had birds of green abalone. That was something specific to the model.