Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have SE Santana, and want to buy a strat type, what do you recomend me?

Thanks for the advice. The guy is has come to an agreement for an exchange of the EG for another guitar, so seems I arrived too late to decide. I donīt play Hard Rock at all. Hell, maybe I have loosed a good choice with the unit the guy was selling.
    Next time Iīll go and try the guitar to realize y I like or not.
    SE Custom 24 2012 model I think will be difficult I can find it on a store where I live.
    Do you know if is there any other SE model as versatile as the SE Custom 24? I assume not. Let me know if you know any of the other models could be another option to find out (considering the SE Custom 24 price, 720 euro or so).
    Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by lagoausente View Post
    Thanks for the advice. The guy is has come to an agreement for an exchange of the EG for another guitar, so seems I arrived too late to decide. I donīt play Hard Rock at all. Hell, maybe I have loosed a good choice with the unit the guy was selling.
    Next time Iīll go and try the guitar to realize y I like or not.
    SE Custom 24 2012 model I think will be difficult I can find it on a store where I live.
    Do you know if is there any other SE model as versatile as the SE Custom 24? I assume not. Let me know if you know any of the other models could be another option to find out (considering the SE Custom 24 price, 720 euro or so).
    Thanks a lot.
    I'm sorry to hear that. If it helps, I have found that it is almost always better to wait if you don't know for sure what you want, even if you lose an opportunity to buy. There will be others.

In my opinion, the SE Custom 24 is the most versatile of the current SE lineup.

What kind of music do you play? What exactly are you doing that you'd like to have a single-coil sound for? If you're looking for a sound like the rhythm parts of "Sultans of Swing" then my opinion is that the Custom 24 can pull that off. That's the bridge+middle "Strat quack" sound I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. If it helps, I have found that it is almost always better to wait if you don't know for sure what you want, even if you lose an opportunity to buy. There will be others.

In my opinion, the SE Custom 24 is the most versatile of the current SE lineup.

What kind of music do you play? What exactly are you doing that you'd like to have a single-coil sound for? If you're looking for a sound like the rhythm parts of "Sultans of Swing" then my opinion is that the Custom 24 can pull that off. That's the bridge+middle "Strat quack" sound I was talking about.
    Yes, you have reason. Today I listened better on a EG video and like the sound color, so I thought for the price it was worth maybe the EG now and the Se Custom 24 latter. It should be around 1000 what is no much money for two PRS guitars. Perhaps Iīm suffering GAS this moment.
    For sure that Se Custom 24 is enough versatile for me. I play most pop-rock music, still have much to learn really.
    I was not refering to rhythm parts of "Sultans of Swing", I was referring rhythm parts in general. Or Sultans of swing solo maybe the Santana is a bit fat for this Song, not too much really. I agree and think that Se Custom 24 will fine for most things I can play, so I thought just getting the EG as a plus, but as told a little GAS, or not, depends, I see a lot of people with 4 or more guitars more expensive each than this two SE together.
    But as you say, Itīs an opportunity, I can test other strats with calm and buy really if I like it, not just because is PRS and is "always on tune" (what is a good thing of course).
    From single coil of the SE Custom 24, then humbucker on it (6 combinations), to Se Santana sweet sound I think Iīll have plenty posibilies for the music I like. Still have a Peavey around that can experiment with it maybe in some cases.
    I appreciate a lot the help you gived me here.
    Thanks very much.

the coil splits will only suffice for "stratty" voices, not true strat voices for traditionalists. Personally i find PRS SE Customs to be the kind of guitar that you can use as the base of the sound of a record if you're recording. The humbuckers give a really big sound. Strats are normally okay for lighter stuff and at it's heaviest, punk rock. However, for heavy, sustaining-chord, big-sounding rock tone, strats only serve the purpose for "decorations", much suited to leads and maybe enhancing the brightness of the tone to neutralize the relatively darker tone that your humbuckers give. But we can't ignore the fact that strats can still sound fat with eq-ing, adding one or more distortion pedals in the line, or the more popular choice would be pickup swap or get an HSS one.

Since you had the SE Santana already, I'd suggest you to get yourself a Strat, unless you're wanting a backup guitar that sounds similar to your current one. Don't take my words for it, go on and try both kinds of guitars, you won't go wrong with either but you'd be surprised at your own choice later on. You just never know haha, strange things happen when guitar voodoo's at work

Quote Originally Posted by maxtuna26 View Post
    the coil splits will only suffice for "stratty" voices, not true strat voices for traditionalists.
    I've got a swamp ash special with 53/10's in it that would make you reconsider that opinion very quickly. Now I'm hearing stories of Paul putting the Brent Mason guitar up against any Strat in music stores he visits - with a live audience that gets to pick the Strat.
    One Life

Iīm finally going to buy a new SE EG that is still on stock on some store here. Itīs 630 euro. I know I could get an used Fender for something more but.., I really donīt like very much how it sounds (Fenders), two much "thin" sound to my like.
    Maybe on the future can consider a Custom Se 24, donīt know, but just now after have been considering it a lot and hearing a lot, I feel that the Custom 24 is more for hard music, metal. Itīs sounds very nice but for my like it sounds cold. The cleans sounds ok both single coil or humbucker but both too neutral, nothing warm there. Thatīs why I liked the Santana, just because hi-gain amps still sounds warm, not heavy, nor cold.
    I liked the sound of some videos, specially this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MnKyGa8sMU
    The guy plays clean and soft and the first part and the final of the video. It changed the bridge pickup, but still like how sounds the neck stock pickup, on that soft playing moments. It has the strato harmonics but with a nice warm color. It remember me the Santana tone but on a "strato mode". Iīll can experiment maybe with other pups maybe on the future. Itīs a bit more money than the one the guy here was selling but I get a the guitar "new" what itīs always a good thing.
    I consider that the tuning and well-made of this guitars itīs worth the money, I think itīs a little absurd to get obsessed with a "american strato". The sound I can get from the EG will depend much more on the pups I could change than any other thing, so important thing (I think) is to get a well-tuning well-constructed guitar, and I think this one is.
    The 5 position combination with the 3 single coil pups is a diferent thing that I can get with a Custom Se 24. Position between neck and middle pickup or between middel and bridge pickup is something that I cannot get with a tap coil.
    As Maxtuna 26 say, a Custom 24 should be near a backup guitar since I have already the Santana.
    So my final decision is going for a new EG, no obsesion to imitate "american traditional exactly sound", there are a lot of pups around to try the probably should give me a color I should like better, so Iīm going to the EG and customize it in the future.
    Thanks to all for your opinions.
    Last edited by lagoausente; 06-08-2013 at 02:39 PM.

DO IT!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    DO IT!!!!!!
    Double do it!
    Plank Owner

There is another guy who sells a EG with Kinman Avn blues pups, it doesnīt keep the original pups. The Kinman cost new 300, the price it sells the guitar is like a new one because of the Kinman pickups,The guitar is in mint condition. what do you think about this combination? Or should I better buy it new and then try pickups by myself? Are really so bad the ones it comes with the guitar?
    Thanks in advance.

I have to decide: (have already lost a second hand offer some weeks ago)
    1- New stoptail
    2- New Tremolo
    3- Second hand mint with improved electronics, jack, fender knobs and Kinman Avn pups.
    The used one is the most expensive.
    Iīm thinking about stoptail/tremolo. I donīt use the tremolo much really. I guess if the tremolo could suffer a little more in tuning since donīt have locking nut?
    whatīs your vote for?
    Thanks in advance.

The stoptail should sound a bit fatter and sustain a bit better, but the trem might get you closer to the traditional strat sound. From browsing the thread, it doesn't sound like you need to exactly replicate strat tone, so if I were you, I would go for the stoptail. But try them both out in the store if you can, just to see what you like best.

Also, going back in the thread a bit, you can mod your current pickups in the Santana for coil splitting. I did it on my older SE CU24, and it works great. All you need is a soldering iron, a push pull pot, some extra wire, and some heat shrink tubing. Very nice, cheap project, and your Santana would rival the new SE CU24 for versatility! I would be happy to give you the details if you're interested.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    The stoptail should sound a bit fatter and sustain a bit better, but the trem might get you closer to the traditional strat sound. From browsing the thread, it doesn't sound like you need to exactly replicate strat tone, so if I were you, I would go for the stoptail. But try them both out in the store if you can, just to see what you like best.

Also, going back in the thread a bit, you can mod your current pickups in the Santana for coil splitting. I did it on my older SE CU24, and it works great. All you need is a soldering iron, a push pull pot, some extra wire, and some heat shrink tubing. Very nice, cheap project, and your Santana would rival the new SE CU24 for versatility! I would be happy to give you the details if you're interested.
    Mmmm, curious modding the Santana, but I think today I have less reasons to do it. Today I have received my brand new PRS SE EG, trem version. I have no store around with it in stock so after a lot of searching I found that there was 50% of guys who prefer one or the other. Since still have the Tremol-no option for blocking it decide and trusted on the quality of the PRS tremolo and tuning, and after have been playing all afternoon and evening I think I selected the right guitar for me.
    I adjusted intonation of all strings, and even using tremolo. Tuning was slightly unstable at first just normally because strings were fitting. After sometime playing tuning was pretty tight, and after some hours even using tremolo there was only a little noticecable detuning on the 3rd string, when I left the guitar at night to go to work it was pretty stable even using tremolo. Nice!!

Sound of the EG with stock pups is warm, I like it, it sounded little "hot" like the Seymour Duncan Hot rails pickup I used in my cheap Peavy guitar, something intermediate between strat sound and hot sound.
    I trying a trick a guy told on a review on Youtube, decresasing the Volume knob to half the guitar outs a more crystaline strat sound, as increasing the volume the guitar sounds warmer, hotter, thatīs and interesting thing, donīt know if itīs a defect of the knob or itīs intentional, but anyway itīs very useful, it works, it changes the warm/strat sound a bit enough. Itīs not as thin as a traditional strat at no moment, but since I use a POD, I realized that changing the amp changed totally the sound. I just now use an Pod 2.0 and I got very diferent sound-like from one amps to others, I will receive a X3 Pro in next days so seems Iīll have better wide range to play with the sound and even can reamp the dry signal after recording.

Playing the guitar was very nice, confortable, just plug-and-play my guitar to my body and spent some hours playing and enjoying. Seems PRS is always a good choice whatever guitar you select.

From now, Iīm not planning to change the pups, probably I could change it for a more straty sound, but I should loose the "hot rails"-like sound it has. I donīt care if pups a ceramic or made by whatever material, it sounded very very nice for being stock ones. I think, maybe will be better choice to get a Squier or something like that for a more straty sound the replacing actual pickups.
    There is a guy who spent 300 Eur on Kinman blues pickups, maybe could be an option for thin, straty,blues sound, maybe not, mahogany may have a diferent effect on it.
    The Santana sounds warm, whatever rectifier overdriven amp I use it still sounds sweet, a sweet overdrive, nice, the EG sounds warm strat sound, it has itīs own character, itīs sound has "body", and itīs warm varies with the volume pot.
    Itīs a very good guitar and very equilibrated, PRS sounding, I like it.
    Maybe if I found second hand pups for a try, I could give a try, but from now I think I can get any sound just with the X3 and the EG.

Anyway any of you have any good suggestion about pickups at decent price I will study it, the guitar itself is really very good for the price, confortable, good tuning even with tremolo. Very nice really!,

Congrats on the new PRS! Pics???
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Quote Originally Posted by dogrocketp View Post
    I would get the SE EG. First of all it should have the routed body, similar to a strat. The scale length is closer to a strat, so the pickup spacing will be more like a strat in sound. I believe that PRS guitars are more inherently in tune than any other brand, and I'm an endorser for a product that makes F & G guitars play more in tune. I'm an old guy who has more guitars than fingers, and I think that an EG with a good Boss multiband equalizer would get you anything you wanted. I also like the neck shapes of PRS, and have only found 1 strat that was as comfortable, and that's a custom put together for my by a former PRS employee. It's also easy to change pickups if you don't like the stock ones. I would change the volume and tone pots first, if it comes to that. As others have said, modifying an SE is a breeze and can get you something really special.

Well, as I have advanced in my election I found more interesting details from previous replies. You mention the Boss multiband equalizer. I have realized that since I use the Pod 2.0 now (X3 pro very soon) I notice that can change much more the sound changing the pod settings and amps that probably changing pickups. Upgrade pickups may be a good choice, but I guess it should be very dificult to select the perfect ones, (ones sounds smother, fatter, others sound more puch, thing, others thing and hot, some with more attack). I guess you maybe was refering that using the Boss multiband equalizer could do the job of getting the frequency response I like on each case, maybe in the end most differences on pups are probably frequency response (also atack, transients of course).
    So my cuestión is, should you use an analog foot Booss EQ before the X3 pro, or just using the X3 should be enough there to EQ? I ask it because I have no experience at all with analog pedals, but could do a try. If so, should you recomend a concrete Boss multiband EQ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Iīm considering also, trying the split coils on the Santana, who knows, I cant get 3 extra positions. The Santana sound is totally diferent itself, very sweet, and even if split coils should be still diferento the EG.
    I have just asked fot this details also.
    Awesome forum for awesome guitars brand really.

Nice guitar, congratulations.

I noticed while skimming through this thread that you seemed a bit wary of modifying a guitar and said that you felt the Custom 24 was really a Metal guitar but to my mind, you needn't be wary of the former and the latter is just wrong For a start, most of your tone comes from your amp anyway so it's that which largely drives the sound but even if you focus on the guitar, there's a lot you can do to drastically change its nature. Consider my current SE Custom 24 and my plans for my next one.

My current guitar is the 25th Anniversary SE Cu24 and it's awesome but while the stock pickups were very decent indeed, they're not that great. I play in a Rock covers band so I wanted it to be reasonably versatile but certainly focused on Rock, perhaps ranging from clean to 80s Metal. Anything beyond that I can cover with my Jackson although the PRS will also do it. The pickups can make a big difference so i eventually installed a Bare Knuckle Holydiver in the bridge and Bare Knuckle Emerald in the neck. There's not much this guitar can't do now but it could still be improved. The electrics were ripped out with the exception of toggle and I installed Bare Knuckle Jensen caps and Bare Knuckle 550k pots. You wouldn't believe the difference this made. Highs were less shrill and the bass was so much more defined.

I now plan on buying another SE Cu24 with the bevelled top etc. but although it's the same guitar, I want it to sound different. The new one will be my main guitar so first thing will be to transfer the Holydiver and Emerald pickups over to the new guitar and fit new caps and pots. The BKP 550k pot doesn't come push/pull so I'll either lose that option of coil splitting or I'll change the 3-way blade switch to a 5-way. Either way I'll change the switch even if it's to another 3-way. I'll then need different pickups in my existing Cu24 so to give it a different feel, I'll load that with BKP Abraxas pickups as that will give it a softer bass response and a more rounded and sweet tone. The point is, there's endless things you can do to affect your tone while still playing the guitar you love. In my Jackson I've used a Seymour Duncan JB, BKP Holydiver, BKP Nailbomb and BKP Miracle Man in the bridge at one time or another and you wouldn't think it was the same guitar so drastically diffent was the tone. Now, in fairness, if you want a Strat sound, you simply have to buy a Strat but there's still a lot you can do to tweak your tone so don't be afraid to try.

I should point out that the HFS and VB pickups that came standard on my Cu24 are probably the best stock pickups I've ever tried. They were so good I kept them in the guitar for about 8 months before changing to Bare Knuckle and that's absolutely unheard of for me. It's a credit to PRS and just how good the SE range is that these stock pups lasted so long when the JB that came in my Jackson didn't even last a week!
    PRS SE Custom 24 in purple quilt with Bare Knuckle Holydiver and Emerald
    PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary in Vintage Yellow with Bare Knuckle Crawlers
    Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
    Carl Martin Quattro
    Mark Tremonti Wah

Thanks Slartibartfarst42 for your point of view. Iīm wary just because shouldnīt know what pickups should buy. Each pickup will sound diferent so select one, or ones should be a dificult decision like selecting a new guitar, in the end itīs just a matter o money. I should like to can have a buch of pickups to solder and try, hear and compare.
    I donīt think itīs just buy a pickups brand and just that is "better sounding". I have around a Seymour Duncan hot rails on my Peavy but I will not try it on the EG just because itīs sounds quite similar "warm and hot" as the pickups the EG comes with, so I should need a diferent pickups. What ones? If I select more straty pups I will get thiner sound, brighter, but will loose the warm, so I should like a middle point. Something that sounds clear but not cold, crystalline but no shrill, but there are a lot strat pickups out there, I think itīs dificult to select, even have to consider that they will sound diferent on my guitar than on other guitar I could hear on any review.
    As told before, there is a guy here in Spain that was selling one EG upgraded with Kinman blues pups. The set is 300 eur, whatīs half the price of the guitar, and I still donīt know how it sounds.
    I not disard try another pickups in the future but I will have to do a good research before to not waste money on something the really doesnīt give me something I like.
    I really donīt like the total strat Fender sound, so thatīs why I didnt buy a second hand one. Maybe the EG like it is sounds a bit dark, so I maybe should swap the pups for other more crystalline but not as thin sound a typical Fender ones. Some of them sound too cold for me. I will do some research about this, if you have any suggestions I will appreciate them.
    Thanks very much.

Have to contradict myself, from now the ones the I liked most are the Fender Texas Special pickups from web listenings.

Pickups can be a minefield and it's easy to get it wrong. When I started to buy Bare Knuckle pickups I did a lot of research as it was a lot of money to spend and I wanted to be sure they were actually that much better than Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio. Eventually however, you have to take the plunge. I did and I've never looked back. My knowledge of pickups has grown steadily over the years so I pretty much know what will give me the sound I'm after, especially if the pickups are Bare Knuckle, which are now the only ones I'll use. There are LOTS of factors to consider when you're thinking of a pickup change:

Body wood
    Neck wood
    Fingerboard wood
    Bridge type
    Construction
    Amp
    Magnets
    Wire gauge
    Winding style
    Passive or active
    Covered or open
    etc. etc. etc.

A good place to start might be this extract below where Tim Mills (MD of Bare Knuckle) talks about the characteristics of different magnets in a pickup:

‘Magnets do add to the character of a pickup but it must be understood that although a magnet doesn't have a sound on its own, it contributes to the sound by the way it accentuates certain frequencies as current that are produced by the coil windings.

‘Alnico II
    This is the softest and generally has a smooth bass and treble although this is more pronounced the hotter the windings get.

Alnico III
    This type of magnet is very transparent, with low output and clean sounds. It’s great for rounded, fat jazz applications and they’re typical of '50s tone.

Alnico IV
    This type of magnet is probably the best vintage tone for humbuckers in my opinion and along with II and III was used in the earliest PAFs. This is a fact and not myth as we've had them analysed and a colleague of mine has also seen original Gibson purchase orders that clearly state Alnico IV bar stock being purchased. The tone of Alnico IV is balanced and extremely organic. It produces the most authentic vintage tone and sits better in slightly hotter vintage winds than Alnico II, which tends to get very soft in the bass and highs if used incorrectly.

Alnico V
    This is the hottest Alnico magnet available, producing more highs and lows. It’s great for Rock applications or where power and cut are important.

Ceramic magnets
    Contemporary pickups often use ceramic magnets, specifically the Ceramic 8, a choice common to most pickup manufacturers. It’s more powerful than an Alnico magnet and essentially more efficient so the resulting tone usually has a very fast tracking bass response with a distinct cut in the highs. Some players find them cold/hard when run clean and they can cause a lot of compression from their relatively hot output but again, this depends on how you use them. They are capable of good clean tones too but the general consensus is that Alnicos are sweeter run clean.’
    PRS SE Custom 24 in purple quilt with Bare Knuckle Holydiver and Emerald
    PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary in Vintage Yellow with Bare Knuckle Crawlers
    Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
    Carl Martin Quattro
    Mark Tremonti Wah

Thanks for that info,
    Fender Texas Special pups are Alnico V, maybe Iīll give a try, seems not extremely expensive. Maybe I can get one second hand to try. I liked the sweet highs, seems a totallly diferent sound that the EG stock ones, but to get a warm sound, why should I spend money? Thatīs what I already have, of course there are lots of pups with intermediate sound between Texas and stock ones, but probably mahogany will warm a bit the guitar sound, so maybe seems not a bad try I think.