Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are they thinking?

And on another front, I was doing a little research on the Stradivarius and ran across this 19th Century painting of the Master at work in his shop. Oh wait...what's he wearing on his head...

And for sure a man posed as a woman in the dress - check out the face, and neck muscles!

No wonder old Antonio needed a skull bag. I think this needs to be reproduced with a painting of Paul Smith looking at one of his guitars.

Last edited by LSchefman; 05-29-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    I think this needs to be reproduced with a painting of Paul Smith looking at one of his guitars.

That would be great. I don't paint that well. What's your brother up to?
    Plank Owner

And on another front, I was doing a little research on the Stradivarius and ran across this 19th Century painting of the Master at work in his shop.

"Oh Man! is that a white wash backed Stradivarius? I wish we could see if it had the flamed maple or quilted maple top!"

Private Stock Friday - May 16th, 1710

I was severely impressed Herr Squid's Avatar
    No wonder old Antonio needed a skull bag. I think this needs to be reproduced with a painting of Paul Smith looking at one of his guitars.

That'd go reeeeal nice with the black velvet portrait of Paul as Elvis!

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    "Oh Man! is that a white wash backed Stradivarius? I wish we could see if it had the flamed maple or quilted maple top!"

Private Stock Friday - May 16th, 1710
    Violins have spruce tops.

A few, mostly made in the 19th century to look older, had cedar mainly for the color, but most violin makers wouldn't use it.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 05-30-2013 at 12:29 AM.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    Hair's not the problem--that is what it is. It's easier to change your clothes than your hair anyway, and I'm thankful that I've still got most of mine! Although it's all gray now...
    Hair story #1--1968; I'd come home on a break from my first semester at college. I'd been growing my hair for about three months, and my dad took one look at me and sent me off to the barber. I came out of there looking like Moe from the Three Stooges, and my dad actually apologized! "It'll grow, son..." he said, and it did, but I had to put up with looking like a shorn sheep for a couple more months.
    Hair story #2--1970, junior year at college. My hair was getting pretty long by that time--I thought I was pretty hip-looking until I saw the photo on my student ID card. I looked like an outlaw biker, and that wasn't what I intended at all. I've still got it--if I can get it scanned, I'll try to figure out how to post it. It's good for at least a few laughs...
    Hair story #3--1976. I was a professional musician by this time, and I took a road gig with a country band. I'd been hearing horror stories for a few years about how California hippies playing in certain parts of the country had been dragged out behind the club, beaten up and sheep-sheared by cowboys. I didn't want that to happen to me, so I shaved my beard and cut my hair--I looked like Bun E. Carlos from Cheap Trick, and he was trying to look like a nerd! Anyway, the first time I played in Montana, much to my amazement, all the cowboys, who had probably been shearing longhairs a year or two before, now had long hair and beards--Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings had come along and made it OK. It was right about that time that all the rock guys started wearing short hair. I can't win--I was hip for about five minutes in 1969!

Quote Originally Posted by jfine View Post
    Hair's not the problem--that is what it is. It's easier to change your clothes than your hair anyway, and I'm thankful that I've still got most of mine! Although it's all gray now...
    Hair story #1--1968; I'd come home on a break from my first semester at college. I'd been growing my hair for about three months, and my dad took one look at me and sent me off to the barber. I came out of there looking like Moe from the Three Stooges, and my dad actually apologized! "It'll grow, son..." he said, and it did, but I had to put up with looking like a shorn sheep for a couple more months.
    Hair story #2--1970, junior year at college. My hair was getting pretty long by that time--I thought I was pretty hip-looking until I saw the photo on my student ID card. I looked like an outlaw biker, and that wasn't what I intended at all. I've still got it--if I can get it scanned, I'll try to figure out how to post it. It's good for at least a few laughs...
    Hair story #3--1976. I was a professional musician by this time, and I took a road gig with a country band. I'd been hearing horror stories for a few years about how California hippies playing in certain parts of the country had been dragged out behind the club, beaten up and sheep-sheared by cowboys. I didn't want that to happen to me, so I shaved my beard and cut my hair--I looked like Bun E. Carlos from Cheap Trick, and he was trying to look like a nerd! Anyway, the first time I played in Montana, much to my amazement, all the cowboys, who had probably been shearing longhairs a year or two before, now had long hair and beards--Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings had come along and made it OK. It was right about that time that all the rock guys started wearing short hair. I can't win--I was hip for about five minutes in 1969!
    Funny stories!
    -- Homer J. Simpson