Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Keith Richards PRS?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    3

    Keith Richards PRS?

    Hello. I ran across this on Facebook and was wondering if anyone has seen Keith play this guitar? Wow! What a great looking axe.

  2. #2
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    5,167
    YOWZAH!

  3. #3
    chief Shawn@PRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    3,429
    This guitar made a brief and stealth-like appearance in the PS Friday thread a few weeks back

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	85

  4. #4
    chief Shawn@PRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    3,429
    I had to play "Angie" on it, since it's the only Stones song I know.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	86

  5. #5
    Auth. PRS Dealer Brian G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hamden, CT
    Posts
    459
    I thought I heard the name Keith being thrown around in the vault last month - but I pretended I didnt hear anything!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    3
    Wow! you got to play it? What king of pickups does it have?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Aeetus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    268
    Wow, that's a stunner and I'd love to own it.

  8. #8
    Loving Life Spikedog007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati OH
    Posts
    146
    The OP's pic looks just like one from Rumbleseat music. Wonder if they helped him get it...

    Cool guitar BTW.
    Custom 24, 5909, 305, Al Di Meola Prism, Paul's Guitar, SE Angelus
    Mesa Lonestar Special w/4x10 Mesa cab

  9. #9
    Well at least now there's a retort to the old saw, "If a Tele is good enough for Keef, it's good enough for me!"

    I guess Keef must've gone to law school or dental school while none of us were watching...
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

  10. #10
    Senior Member Rango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The FAR SIDE of the Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    I had to play "Angie" on it, since it's the only Stones song I know.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	86
    Details man DETAILS!!

    Which Pickups, what's setup - volume volume - master tone/volume - push pull pot to split - which neck carve?????
    If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!

  11. #11
    Member dmatthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    146
    What wut???
    Coolio.
    2001 PRS McRosie Violin Amber Sunburst Abalone birdies
    2008 PRS Mira Vintage Orange with old MOP birdies
    2009 PRS 305 Tri Colour Burst
    2009 PRS SE ONE autographed by Dweezil Zappa
    2011 PRS H combo amp

  12. #12
    Senior Member Daniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    562
    What's the inlay at the 11-13th fret?

  13. #13
    chief Shawn@PRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    3,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    What's the inlay at the 11-13th fret?
    It's a waning moon

  14. #14
    DEEPER STRIATIONS markie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,362
    Why so many strings?
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

  15. #15
    Senior Member yankeebulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    Why so many strings?
    Another question:

    Will a non adjustable stoptail intonate to open G?
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, Ted SC245 Willcutt's WL Limited, Paul's Guitar
    PRS Amps - Archon

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeebulldog View Post
    Another question:

    Will a non adjustable stoptail intonate to open G?
    Why wouldn't it? Assuming you use string gauges that are within the general tolerance for those bridges (and you remove the low E ) , only the high E and A strings are different from standard tuning, and only by a whole step in each case. That's not enough to significantly throw off the intonation.

    Oh, and the B string, to sound *right* in open G, should be detuned by about 14 cents so you get a more in tune third in the "home base" root chord. Also not enough to impact the intonation of that string overall, although unless you make some accomodations with your left hand some notes might be a little flatter than you want them to be on account of the string being tunes a bit flat compared to 12-tone equal-division octave tuning. One of the secret tricks when doing the "Keith move" (hitting the partial IV chord with two notes -- up 2 frets on the D string and up 1 fret on the B string -- i.e., the second chord on "Start Me Up" or the fourth-of-the fourth that works off the C (IV) which is the signature lick in "Honky Tonk Women") is to push the B string a little sharp to compensate for the slightly flat tuning that sweetens the third in the root chord.

    BTW, Keith Richards doesn't ALWAYS play 5-string guitars in open G tuning.

  17. #17
    Senior Member yankeebulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsleyd View Post
    Why wouldn't it? Assuming you use string gauges that are within the general tolerance for those bridges (and you remove the low E ) , only the high E and A strings are different from standard tuning, and only by a whole step in each case. That's not enough to significantly throw off the intonation.

    Oh, and the B string, to sound *right* in open G, should be detuned by about 14 cents so you get a more in tune third in the "home base" root chord. Also not enough to impact the intonation of that string overall, although unless you make some accomodations with your left hand some notes might be a little flatter than you want them to be on account of the string being tunes a bit flat compared to 12-tone equal-division octave tuning. One of the secret tricks when doing the "Keith move" (hitting the partial IV chord with two notes -- up 2 frets on the D string and up 1 fret on the B string -- i.e., the second chord on "Start Me Up" or the fourth-of-the fourth that works off the C (IV) which is the signature lick in "Honky Tonk Women") is to push the B string a little sharp to compensate for the slightly flat tuning that sweetens the third in the root chord.

    BTW, Keith Richards doesn't ALWAYS play 5-string guitars in open G tuning.
    Thanks for the tips. I'd never tried it with a PRS but what you're saying about the B string makes sense as to why it never sounds quite right on any other guitar I've tried like my acoustic.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, Ted SC245 Willcutt's WL Limited, Paul's Guitar
    PRS Amps - Archon

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    391
    Keith still plays a lot in standard tuning. If you see him with a Tele, it's almost definitely open-G though.
    You're never too old for tater tots.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    391
    BTW, I play in a Stones tribute band and I do play most of the open G stuff on a Tele but I do use one of my piezo equipped PRSs at every gig in open G for Wild Horses and You Can't Always Get What You want (and whatever is right before/after them to avoid switching guitars).
    You're never too old for tater tots.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by hippietim View Post
    Keith still plays a lot in standard tuning. If you see him with a Tele, it's almost definitely open-G though.
    Yeah, I meant to say, Keith doesn't always play 5-string guitars in open G tuning, i.e., sometimes he plays 6-string guitars in standard tuning!

    Anyway, at least one of his Telecasters is usually in open E, as some of the songs are in that tuning.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •