Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRS 9.5 strings compared to 10's

PRS 9.5 strings compared to 10's

Just changed from PRS 9.5 gauge strings to 10's, Very surprised in the difference the guitar played so much better with the 9.5's on which at first I found to light.
    Should I perceiver with the 10's which does have its bonuses when down tuning?

Only had my PRS custom 24 few months so still experimenting as I am a les paul man :-)

I use 9.5's on my CU24 and love them.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    Yea think I am going to swap back tbh, the trem was also much better. I cant win 9.5 a little bit too light and 10's to heavy lol

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    I keep meaning to try 9.5's on my SE C24...

Welcome to the forum BTW Ianslash!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Never tried them. Perhaps I should look at them more closely.
    Plank Owner

I always used 10's until i owned prs's. then i switched to ghs 9.5's, and i'll never go back.

I have 9.5 on one guitar. It sounded so perfect with them when I got it that I'm keeping them on that guitar.
    I usually use 10s, but have started using 11s on a few.

I always use a minimum of 10's on the bottom. They work well with drop d or when I tune down a half step.

If I don't use 10's throughout I used to go a hybrid set with a light top 9, 11, 13. More recently I started using a 9.5, 11.5, 13.5 on the top. Feels just right with a stoptail guitar, tuned down a half step.

Someone told me the PRS 9.5 strings are rebranded D'Addario 9.5s. Anyone know if this is true? The D'Addarios are 2 dollars less per pack.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
    Someone told me the PRS 9.5 strings are rebranded D'Addario 9.5s. Anyone know if this is true? The D'Addarios are 2 dollars less per pack.
    To my knowledge this is correct. They have the same different color ball ends.

1987 Cherry Red Striped Custom 24 with Birds; 2000 Dark Cherry Sunburst McCarty w/IRW Neck
    2011 HXDA 50 and Big Mouth 2x12 Cabinet w/Stock V30's; 2014 Cherry Red MM Baritone

"That's not a 'wrong note', I'm just using it as a 'passing tone'.

To consider is that 9.0 gauge strings on a 25.5 scale length guitar (Stratocaster) produce about the same string tension as 9.5 gauge on a 24.5 scale length guitar (newer PRS single cuts)
    (or theoretical 9.25 gauge strings on a 25.0 scale (CU24)

I like 9.0' on strat scale guitar and 10.0' on PRS 24.5 Singlecuts.
    Last edited by zz_marcello; 07-03-2014 at 12:49 PM.
    Let the good times roll

Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    +1
    I like surprises!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ianslash View Post
    Just changed from PRS 9.5 gauge strings to 10's, Very surprised in the difference the guitar played so much better with the 9.5's on which at first I found to light.
    Should I perceiver with the 10's which does have its bonuses when down tuning?

Only had my PRS custom 24 few months so still experimenting as I am a les paul man :-)
    I, too, enjoy 9.5 gauge strings on my PRS. Closer in feel to the 9-46 gauge I use on my 25.5" scale guitars.

When you change gauges, you really need to tweak the guitar's setup. The 10's will pull on the neck a little more so you may need to tighten the truss rod a little bit to straighten it back out and get the action back down. 10's do play great (as do 11's), but they fatigue my left hand faster when it comes to bending.
    --Garrett--

I use them on 25" scale guitars and love them. I understand that they are made by D'Addario, but they are definitely NOT the same strings that D'A' markets under their own name. They are pure nickels but the D'Addario pure nickels are a different gauge and feel/sound different (to me at least). The PRS are definitely worth the extra money and the 9.5 is a perfect fit for their guitars. I use the PRS 10's on my 24.5" scale guitar.

Side note: every set I have had came with plain brass ball ends for each string, not the multi-color ones like D'Addario's.

10's on everything for me, 25.5, 25 or 24.75 just never had a problem playing and bending with 10s.

Guitar Geezer
    Use 9.5's on all my PRSi. Order them from Jack Gretz at

http://www.nemusiccenter.com/

Jim
    PRS HBS
    PRS SE EG 'Snowy'

I USE 9.5'S ON MY MCCARTY'S AND SINGLECUT AND WOULDN'T EVER USE ANYTHING ELSE AGAIN ON THEM.. I USE TO USE 10'S FOR YEARS ON OTHER GUITARS. IT'S AMAZING WHAT A 1/2 GAUGE DIFFERANCE MAKES

I'm a professional string breaker could never get away with anything less than 10s

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ray View Post
    To my knowledge this is correct. They have the same different color ball ends.
    Actually I just bought 3 sets from
    Use 9.5's on all my PRSi. Order them from Jack Gretz at

http://www.nemusiccenter.com/

Jim
    and they just have the plain brass ball ends on them, not colored. Plus the price was a couple of dollars per set less than they are on the PRS site. Sorry, Paul.

I haven't put a set on yet because I have a set of M-steel 9's that I just put on not long ago, and they are playing pretty good. But I may just have to try a set soon to ease my curiosity. If they work out, I may never go back to 9's.

Mark
    Last edited by markintime; 08-19-2014 at 11:07 PM.
    "Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

2013 Paul's Guitar - Mahogany body, IRW/BRW neck, 2013 SE Custom 24 - gray black, 2003 Tacoma D9, Peavey Studio Pro 112, Ibanez 15 Tone Blaster