Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fat Guy Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    If I tried that I'd smash my face.
    I wouldn't.

Somebody would have to pick my arms up off the floor, but I'd at least miss my face - it does tend to repel things!
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

I need some cardio. Who's with me?!
    Plank Owner

Not me! I am "bulking" now

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    I need some cardio. Who's with me?!
    Picking up an elliptical machine tomorrow night.
    One Life

Nice!

We have a treadmill. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.
    Plank Owner

Walking is the best exercise for losing weight - walking away from the refrigerator

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Walking is the best exercise for losing weight - walking away from the refrigerator

Yes............... Easier said than done........... Aargh!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Not if it's stocked with clean eating.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    Especially when you have a spare in the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    Especially when you have a spare in the basement.

Zackly
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Rescheduled the Elliptical machine for Friday. Still holding at 253.

My diet is good (though it could be better) but I must get some cardio going ASAP.
    One Life

Rescheduled the Elliptical machine for Friday. Still holding at 253.

My diet is good (though it could be better) but I must get some cardio going ASAP.
    Two months. A lot can happen.

Here's my latest...down from 254.2

Last edited by jfb; 07-31-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    Tell me about it! I have a sugar addiction and it has taken me a long time to finally get on top of it. I wouldn't say I've conquered it though, it’s still a daily struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Two months. A lot can happen. :highfive:

Here's my latest...down from 254.2

Kick ass Jesse, keep up the good work!

Start:

today

record low so far: 189.6
    max loss -10.9 lbs. (5.44%)

today: 189.6
    new low... total: -10.9 lbs. (5.44%)
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Tell me about it! I have a sugar addiction and it has taken me a long time to finally get on top of it. I wouldn't say I've conquered it though, it’s still a daily struggle.

Kick ass Jesse, keep up the good work!
    Thanks man. I really need to start cardio. FAIL!

These pictures are for my man Hans. You can do it dude!

Some of today's food prep. I was tired of lettuce and needed some veggies.

A reasonably clean fridge. Preparation is key. Notice the individual serving meals and bulk items like chicken tenderloins, lettuce, berries. More importantly notice the lack of Guinness.
    Plank Owner

I don't think that's how you're supposed to use those!

I ride a stationary bike, usually six days a week. Occasional walks as well. Not always full-fledged hard cardio, but at the beginning of each soccer season, I think about how much harder it would be if I wasn't riding the bike.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Start:

today

record low so far: 189.6
    max loss -10.9 lbs. (5.44%)

today: 190.3
    slipped a bit... total: -10.2 lbs. (5.09%)
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Late to the thread (crazy busy and haven't participated much here lately) but here's my experience for what it's worth...

I love getting in shape, and love getting out of shape....but staying in shape, not so much. My control mechanism is that once I go over 200 lbs, I start back down to my weight in High School (165lbs). This is usually about a 1.5 to 2 year cycle getting out of shape and a 2 month cycle getting back in shape. Been doing this since my early thirties and I'm in my late 40's now.

Having just reached 165 in my latest slim-down cycle, the techniques are top of mind. I know that everybody is different, but this works for me like clockwork... I'm 6' tall by the way, so numbers adjust up or down depending on your height.

1. 1300 calories max every day. No cheat days, no excuses (including alchohol...if you want a drink, that's 100 to 200 calories less food that day depending on the drink.)
    2. So far as actual weight loss is concerned, what I eat (or drink) isn't relevant. It's strictly calories. There are health and nutrition reasons for paying attention to what you eat, but for me, it's a calories in / calories out equation.
    3. "cardio" in most of the ways that I'd do them just doesn't contribute one way or the other to weight loss. Sure, running for 45 minutes is supposed to burn 450 calories (depending on how fast you're running) but it just doesn't seem to impact things and takes a ton of time.
    4. anaerobic cardio such as 10 hundred yard wind sprints running flat out with 60 second recovery intervals pays dividends way beyond the calories consumed during the activity. I do it three times a week.
    5. Weight training is crucial (for me at least) in that my body would just lower its resting metabolic rate if I didn't push it every day with some form of resistance training. The rebuild process associated with that evidently doesn't let your body slow down like it normally would. I do a 6 day split routine and cycle back on the 7th day without rest. It's designed so that any particular body part doesn't get hit more than 2 times per week, so rest days aren't needed. The advantage to this is that workouts can be done in 30 minutes.
    6. I weigh myself every day. This is probably very individual as some people would probably respond better to weekly weigh-ins, but I find that it imposes motivation during the day to know that I'm going to see my weight the next morning.

You body screams at you for a week or so, but after that, you get very used to it. After a month into it, you don't even notice it and it's just a part of the daily routine.

Of course it would be better to just stay in shape (for me, probably about 180 would be a good target to hold at...) but that's only 1800 calories per day. As a forever thing, that's just no fun.

I find that the biggest challenge in sticking to something like this is external. Buddies, wives/girlfriends, etc., are used to going out and eating / drinking / staying out late / whatever with you, and it's no fun to be the party pooper and either stay home or order no more than 300 calories at whatever pub-grub restaurant that everybody is meeting up at. And if you're used to drinking alcohol regularly, it's a bit of a drag to curtail that back. The good news is that less alcohol has more of an effect, if that's what you're goin' for.

Fresh out of the shower and hair still dripping wet I am at my lowest now in a few years.
    210.8, and 28.3 BF.

Lunch at work the past few days were salads, and dinner yesternight was a Greek yogurt smothering a cut up SugerTree nectarine.
    Even had a Klondike bar for desert, and a few Chips Ahoy cookies
    Combo of cutting back and the exercise walking at work has been paying out.

I eat a very light dinner during the work week, weekends are different.
    Barbecue season, so I have been doing kabobs every weekend for the past few months.
    Old pic, but you get the idea.