Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom 24 Stoptail: Do I really have to go PS???

Custom 24 Stoptail: Do I really have to go PS???

GAS strikes again and I'm dreaming about a Custom 24 Artist Package WITH a one-piece stoptail, because that's my prefered PRS bridge of all.

I know that PRS on very rare occasions makes an exception, because a very limited number of non-PS Cu24 Stoptails exists, but what would it take?
    Which of the famous PRS dealer (wood library and so on) would be the most likely to convince them?
    2002 McRosie Amber
    2009 SCF IRW McCarty Sunburst
    2012 P22 Faded Blue Jean
    with DiMarzio Illuminators

Yeah, there are a few around, but as you said, they're few and far between. Try calling Eric (or Brandon) at Willcutt. They're a very big and well informed PRS dealer and are close with the company.

Look for a KL1812. They only made about 100 but they seem to pop up secondhand often enough. It's more like a standard than a custom but damn if it isn't a wondrous guitar.

Hey, go P24. Piezo's are awesome.

EDIT: Unless those only come with trems? I thought they were originally stoptailed like a p22

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCst22 View Post
    Hey, go P24. Piezo's are awesome.

EDIT: Unless those only come with trems? I thought they were originally stoptailed like a p22
    They are not currently in production but there are a handful available from the 2012 PRS Experience (IIRC) in some dealers

Remember, The original Mira came 24 frets. The flame top version edges into your territory.

I think you should go PS to get a stoptail CU24 the same way I had to go PS to get a maple bodied Tonare Grand.

The silver lining, of course, is that PS guitars are wonderful and worth it!
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

If its just the floating trem that bothers you, you can always fit a tremel-no, works great, easy to fit, easy to pull out

Well, is it a specific type of stoptail you want, or any non-trem bridge? Because the new Mark Holcomb has a string-through-body fixed bridge. Comes set-up and tuned to Drop C, but I'm sure you can tweak it back up to Standard E. Pickups are not standard issue PRS, but they look pretty intense!

It does have a 25.5" scale, vs the 25" scale of a "normal" CU24.

Quote Originally Posted by shinksma View Post
    Well, is it a specific type of stoptail you want, or any non-trem bridge? Because the new Mark Holcomb has a string-through-body fixed bridge. Comes set-up and tuned to Drop C, but I'm sure you can tweak it back up to Standard E. Pickups are not standard issue PRS, but they look pretty intense!

It does have a 25.5" scale, vs the 25" scale of a "normal" CU24.
    The new Mark Holcomb signature is an interesting offer for sure, especially as I'm into heavier stuff, too.
    But for my (smaller) hands the 25" scale seems ideal and I really prefer the super smooth surface of the one-piece stoptail over every other bridge available.

I really hope PRS will add the stoptail option for their 24-fretters to the Artist Package in the future.
    2002 McRosie Amber
    2009 SCF IRW McCarty Sunburst
    2012 P22 Faded Blue Jean
    with DiMarzio Illuminators

I love the PRS trem....it feels awesome to play and stays in tune! For me, it is a tone thing. I was spoiled, as the very first Custom 24 I played was a stop tail and it sounded amazing. Subsequent experiences with the Custom 24 were good, but none had that fullness and punch that the stop tail model had. The mid range and low end don't seem have as much presence. I have noticed this when comparing the Custom 22 models as well. This is actually the main reason I have never pulled the trigger on a Custom 24. It is also one of the many reasons I am so stoked on the Holcomb model!!

I doubt we will ever see that option added to the regular core version....but I will keep my fingers crossed that it finds its way to artist package for you. They added it back to the Tremonti model.....so you never know!

Something like this?

2014Private Stock Modern Eagle Brazzy,'06 Tremonti Tribal #75,'13 SC245 Artist,'15 CU24 Artist,'12 Custom 22 Artist,'15 Waring Sig 10Top, '12 Tremonti one-off,2007/13 McCarty Korina,'13 408 10Top, '11 Custom24 10Top,'12 DGT w/BK Miracle Man pups,'07/13 Navarro w/BK Cold Sweat pups,'13 Tremonti SE with \m/ pups and lots of upgrades ,EVH 5150 combo, Randall Half Stack, Hughs & Kettner TubeMeister, other fiddles beyond counting

Quote Originally Posted by Raven17 View Post
    Something like this?

It's nice to see you're taking such good care of my old guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefade View Post
    It's nice to see you're taking such good care of my old guitar.

Hell yeah.....she's a monster!
    2014Private Stock Modern Eagle Brazzy,'06 Tremonti Tribal #75,'13 SC245 Artist,'15 CU24 Artist,'12 Custom 22 Artist,'15 Waring Sig 10Top, '12 Tremonti one-off,2007/13 McCarty Korina,'13 408 10Top, '11 Custom24 10Top,'12 DGT w/BK Miracle Man pups,'07/13 Navarro w/BK Cold Sweat pups,'13 Tremonti SE with \m/ pups and lots of upgrades ,EVH 5150 combo, Randall Half Stack, Hughs & Kettner TubeMeister, other fiddles beyond counting

Something like this?
    My name is Matt and I'm a guitarholic

1994 McCarty; 2010 Charcoal Burst Modern Eagle Quatro; 2012 Fire Red Burst Signature Limited;2012 Charcoal Buster Siggy ( PTC Modified ); 2012 Vintage Burst Stripper; 2012 Charcoal 408 Standard w/ Crackwood; 2012 NOS ME1 Tiger Eye

Quote Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
    Look for a KL1812. They only made about 100 but they seem to pop up secondhand often enough.
    Yup...just need to look around; found one very quickly doing a GBase search: http://www.gbase.com/gear/prs-kl1812-2008-natural

You'll be able to find a stoptail cu24 made around 2000-2002, they were making them then regularly. Just a matter of finding someone dumb enough to sell theirs. :lol:

I have a 2002 cu24 stoptail that I might be willing to trade, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by south89 View Post

Something like this?
    Damn Skippy! With the dual mini coil taps? What IS this? Not a 408 or a PG, what model IS this? I love it!

Sorry, can't be one of those. No narrow field pickups. So what is it? (Showing too much ignorance here) And that is one killer bridge. I need one!
    Last edited by markintime; 01-20-2015 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Re-thought question
    Guitars: Tacoma D9, PRS's: Paul's Guitar, Angelus A10E, SE 30th Anniversary Custom 24 w/ 59/09's, S2 Vela Vintage Mahogany
    Amps: Ibanez 15 Tone Blaster, Blackstar Fly, Blackstar HT Club 50
    Cabs: Blackstar HTV 2x12 160w

Here's your chance for a CU24 Stoptail Private Stock for the price of an Artist Package:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho....php?t=1529432