Thread: P22 Trem VS Santana... am I crazy?

P22 Trem VS Santana... am I crazy?

I've been contemplating getting a Santana instead of the P22 Trem... I'm sure I'll change my mind and get the P22 Trem just because I'm more familiar with the shape.

I've never owned a Santana Shape, which makes me a little hesitant, and I would also be losing the Piezo option...

Am I crazy? (I think so!)
    Custom 22 Brazilian Limited (Emerald Green/Artist Package Quilt)| Custom 24 (Red Fire Burst/Quilted 10 Top)| Custom 24 (Autumn Sky) | P22 (Solana Burst)| Standard 22 (TriColor Burst)| McCarty Soapbar (Seafoam Green)| CE 22 (Vintage Yellow/3 piece 10 Top)| CE 22 (Whale Blue)| Mesa Dual Rectifier Half Stack| Fender Blues DeVille 410 (USA Made)| Fender Evil Twin (Snakeskin)| Peavey Classic 50 410| Gibson Northern Jumbo Limited

I've had a love/hate with the Santana over the years. Currently, I love the one I have now. It's the least versatile guitar I own as far as the pickup tones, but it excels at what it does. I love the slightly hotter compressed tones for hard rock/metal. The extra frets and the smaller scale length and ergonomics while standing took a while to bond with but now I love it. It's like a hot rodded stunt double version of my PS Ted. The 2013 models have the new birds and a pattern neck so I like them a lot over the past versions. Never played the P22 but the Pattern Regular neck would be a deal breaker for me.

Last edited by yankeebulldog; 06-13-2013 at 09:42 PM.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, PS #4858 McCarty Singlecut, Floyd Custom 24
    Powered by Friedman

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebulldog View Post
    I've had a love/hate with the Santana over the years. Currently, I love the one I have now. It's the least versatile guitar I own as far as the pickup tones, but it excels at what it does. I love the slightly hotter compressed tones for hard rock/metal. The extra frets and the smaller scale length and ergonomics while standing took a while to bond with but now I love it. It's like a hot rodded stunt double version of my PS Ted. The 2013 models have the new birds and a pattern neck so I like them a lot over the past versions. Never played the P22 but the Pattern Regular neck would be a deal breaker for me.

is that Makena Blue?
    Custom 22 Brazilian Limited (Emerald Green/Artist Package Quilt)| Custom 24 (Red Fire Burst/Quilted 10 Top)| Custom 24 (Autumn Sky) | P22 (Solana Burst)| Standard 22 (TriColor Burst)| McCarty Soapbar (Seafoam Green)| CE 22 (Vintage Yellow/3 piece 10 Top)| CE 22 (Whale Blue)| Mesa Dual Rectifier Half Stack| Fender Blues DeVille 410 (USA Made)| Fender Evil Twin (Snakeskin)| Peavey Classic 50 410| Gibson Northern Jumbo Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Gibson67v View Post
    is that Makena Blue?
    Yep. Also a non ten top. I need to take some better pics. I'm going to gig with it next week so maybe I'll have some action shots.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, PS #4858 McCarty Singlecut, Floyd Custom 24
    Powered by Friedman

GO PRIVATE STOCK SANTANA WITH PIEZO TREM!!!! Done.

Quote Originally Posted by CHARISMAFIRE View Post
    Or you could just buy one of each and pocket some change.
    Powered by Friedman

Quote Originally Posted by CHARISMAFIRE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeebulldog View Post
    Or you could just buy one of each and pocket some change.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^

If you give up the Piezo, you are really missing out - IMHO
    If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^

If you give up the Piezo, you are really missing out - IMHO
    I keep thinking that I'll use the piezo for the first 3 months and then it will just be like a gimmick... but... I keep forgetting that even if it does turn out to be gimmicky then I still have a Custom 22 with a trem system... and quite frankly I love the Custom models. And Paul's said in quite a fee interviews that's what the P22 is a Custom 22 with a Piezo system.

When in doubt, get both.

I keep thinking that I'll use the piezo for the first 3 months and then it will just be like a gimmick..
    From what I've seen/heard the PRS piezo system is one of, if not the best around but...... it's still a piezo. If you are totally sure you really need "acoustic-y" tones I could see getting a P22, otherwise any PRS with a Santana/Westie shape is the sexiest guitar in the world. You're not crazy at all.

Anybody ready to talk about a Forum guitar with the Santana shape, 408 pickups, and piezo trem?

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    From what I've seen/heard the PRS piezo system is one of, if not the best around but...... it's still a piezo. If you are totally sure you really need "acoustic-y" tones I could see getting a P22, otherwise any PRS with a Santana/Westie shape is the sexiest guitar in the world. You're not crazy at all.
    Without a doubt it's the best available!!

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Anybody ready to talk about a Forum guitar with the Santana shape, 408 pickups, and piezo trem?
    I've got to try a 408... or maybe just Paul's Guitar...

I keep thinking that I'll use the piezo for the first 3 months and then it will just be like a gimmick... but... I keep forgetting that even if it does turn out to be gimmicky then I still have a Custom 22 with a trem system... and quite frankly I love the Custom models. And Paul's said in quite a fee interviews that's what the P22 is a Custom 22 with a Piezo system.
    FWIW - I've had mine almost a year and I use the Piezo constantly. With the mix of the mag and Piezo you can get some hollow body type tones - It's like having 3 guitars hanging around your neck at the same time.
    If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!