Thread: Original Guitar Player review of the PRS Custom

Original Guitar Player review of the PRS Custom

When I bought my 1985 Custom last year, I was happy to find a copy of the Guitar Player magazine that had their first review of the PRS Custom. I thought you all might enjoy seeing it.

Oh yeah...here's another excuse to post my guitar.

Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Very, very nice stuff. Love that '85.
    Plank Owner

You never need an excuse to post that beauty.

I remember when that issue came out. What's especially cool is the review is done by Rick Turner -- one of the most experienced and knowledgeable guitar builders out there then, now, and ever.

(and a damn nice guy too!)

Kinda sad how much the editorial quality of magazines (and most everything else) has declined in the past 30-ish years...

Ain't that the truth! I remember a fairly recent issue where half of the products reviewed got an Editor'a Pick or Gold award. Lame...

Quote Originally Posted by kingsleyd View Post
    Kinda sad how much the editorial quality of magazines (and most everything else) has declined in the past 30-ish years...
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing this, Brad! Interesting that Paul also preferred the tone of the PRS Guitar (what we not call a pre-standard).

If you don't mind, I am going to 'attach' those images to this thread so they are on permanent record.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PRSReview1_zpscb1b3dfb.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	144

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PRSReview2_zps7e755fa4.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	145
    One Life

The great thing is that Rick Turner's praise and observations about PRS are every bit as true today:

"I have not played an electric guitar I've liked better, and very few I've liked as much..."
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Quote Originally Posted by Brad737 View Post
    Ain't that the truth! I remember a fairly recent issue where half of the products reviewed got an Editor'a Pick or Gold award. Lame...
    Well, I will say this: Guitar Player has an Artist feature on my brother, Jon, in this month's (July) issue. And Jon, unlike his older brother, plays PRS guitars pretty much exclusively! He just released a duo CD with Colin Edwin (of Porcupine Tree) that seems to be getting a lot of press. Good -- it's a really nice record!

Of course, the article is way shorter than it would have been 30 years ago. And, unlike other more modern guitar periodicals, the article may or may not ever appear online unless you're a print subscriber (which I haven't been for 15 years) -- it certainly isn't there now.
    Last edited by kingsleyd; 06-16-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Another gratuitous early Custom photo! Funny, brother Jon had a late-80s pre-Standard back in the day and I always thought it sounded better than the Custom I had in those days, which was an '89. This one (an '86), which I acquired about 6 years ago, is a great ​sounding guitar.

SWEET!!!!!
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets/signed by PRS
    2012 FBJB 10 top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti
    2012 Tremonti CustomSE Grey/Black heavily modded, DGT frets and nut at PTC
    2014 ARCHON

Quote Originally Posted by Brad737 View Post
    I think either editors don't realize how their reviews are perceived, or they're being rather disingenuous.

I've read editors' explanations when they're challenged about how their reviews are overwhelmingly positive (I don't remember the last negative review I saw in GP). They explain it away as a matter of so much product available (agree), not enough time and space to review everything (agree), and that they would rather recommend something useful and quality than spend time and space on a negative review. This is where I have a problem with their logic - I fully accept that they can't get to everything, but because the reviews are all positive and they don't want to spend time on the negative, I have to wonder if they've seen a piece they haven't reviewed. If I hear about the new Distorto-Fab pedal and a magazine gives it a positive review, I have some basis to act on. If they don't review, I'm left wondering - did they not try it out? If they did, was it okay? Did it suck? They're not helping at all.

Plus, as their reader feedback shows, a steady diet of positive reviews leads one to believe that they're becoming industry pollyannas. I'd think that would not be a benefit to a company who has a product review - if the motives of the reviewer are questioned, their results are questioned as well.

That doesn't mean they have to rip a product to shreds, but it sure doesn't hurt to have a review that says a product has potential but needs refinement. Premiere Guitar has actually been pretty good with that - every now and then a review will basically say "good idea, but the execution's not quite there yet".

Older getting younger
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing. I first heard of PRS in '87 and bought my first one, a used '87 Std., in '88. I still have it. I have been through many PRS's since and still have 2 basses and 11 electric guitars, all PRS.
    PRS electrics and bass, Taylor BTO GS Cocobolo, K26e Koa, 2012 FLTD 412ce-N and GS mini mahogany acoustic guitars; Bad Cat Cub IIR, Carr Rambler, Fender Supersonic 22, Univox, Fishman Loudbox 100, Loudbox Mini and Mark Bass amps
    In music, one must think with his heart and feel with his brain.
    I was joeprs on BAM