Thread: The ONLY thing I don't love about my Bernie...

The ONLY thing I don't love about my Bernie...

...is the lack of a second tone control. Literally the only thing I'm not crazy about. I love the look, the feel, the binding, the neck, the neck...and did I mention the NECK?

For the sounds, I love the neck pup with the tone all the way up, but I really like the tone rolled off a bit on the bridge. Any other Bernie owners feel the same?

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    One Life

Don't have a Bernie, but the control layout shape is the thing that kinda throws me at a glance. Don't mind one tone control on a guitar, but a DGT style layout would be cool (in the sense of all the knobs not in a straight line).
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

Yeah, I thought briefly about a push/pull pot, or would that be a stacked pot? Not sure that I know the difference.

Thanks for the suggestion. Any particular specs I should look for?
    Last edited by guitargeezer; 06-20-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Correction

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    A push-pull pot incorporates a switch. Pull up on the knob and it activates whatever the switch controls--usually a coil split, but sometimes a bridge (or neck) pickup on switch for a trhee-pickup guitar, enabling that pickup to be added to whatever's selected by the regular pickup selector. Or an out-of-phase switch--basically, anything that can be switched is fair game. A stacked pot, on the other hand, is actually two pots in one, with concentric knobs for each function. Early Fender Jazz Basses used a concentric pot for each pickup, volume and tone mounted in one hole. They can be a little fiddly, as sometimes the knobs will catch and turn together--they're not supposed to.

None of my guitars have tone controls.... so I got a few spare ones for ya!

Hmm. I never use tone knobs
    (513 / P22 / McShootout / DC 245 Ted / DGT / DC22 / Santana / Cu22 Rosewood / 408 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Sig LTD / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom / SE Mushok) >> {Archon, C, H, Dallas, Original Sewell}

Thanks for your feedback, ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! and jfine. This may turn out to be more of a project than I anticipated. The concentric stacked pots are fine and would probably accomplish what I wanted, but in researching them, I've not been able to find any knobs for the stacked pots that even remotely look like the bell knobs like I've got on the Bernie...yukkk...not into metal knobs like on a Tele. Guess that I'll just have to learn to find my tonal "happy place" with the current configuration and live with it.

I haven't been able to try an SE 245 which does have the two tone/two volume configuration. It's got a wide fat neck like the Bernie but, from what I've read, it's not as fat nor is it bound like the Bernie. Paul, if you're listening, geezer would love a Bernie with four knobs...

Quote Originally Posted by guitargeezer View Post

For the sounds, I love the neck pup with the tone all the way up, but I really like the tone rolled off a bit on the bridge. Any other Bernie owners feel the same?
    Connect the tone control to the bridge pickup only. Simple to wire up. Look at an LP diagram and just omit the neck tone pot.
    Last edited by _pete_; 06-21-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _pete_ View Post
    Connect the tone control to the bridge pickup only. Simple to wire up. Look at at LP diagram and just omit the neck tone pot.
    I'm such a dummy :-( and Pete, you're a genius! What a simple, beautiful solution. Many thanks, I'm sure my tech can make the change.

Glad to help!!

The 3 controls in line really attracted me to the Bernie. I love it.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe