Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Picks - What are you using? Why?

currently using tortex .73 or 88, depending on which one i grab first! I've always been a fan of the ultex sharps, but the shop at my place doesn't stock on them anymore, yikes. however, I do notice the "virtually indestructible" statement that dunlop made wasn't that convincing at all

Joe Beasley
    ...Vinni Smith's V-Picks - well worth the price - I use nothing else.

I want to try a Red Bear. I might order a few.
    Plank Owner

Tortex Orange for Rythm

...and blue for lead

...but from the looks of this thread, I need to open my eyes to some other options.

I've been using dunlop hot licks copper picks for about 20 yrs. love the feel and sound of them. they haven't beem made in several years, much to my dismay!

I use the black nylon Dunlop Jazz IIIs. I've been using these for at least the past decade. I use them for bass too.

I use Intune's white jazzIII's with custom printing on them. Amazing picks

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    I use the black nylon Dunlop Jazz IIIs. I've been using these for at least the past decade. I use them for bass too.
    I use to use those, but switched to red because they were easier to find when I dropped them.
    Plank Owner

tried a black nylon 1mm one which the shop's worker (good friend of mine) handed me. It looks to be one of those jazz picks, or at least that's what i thought it is. when i'm playing with the rounded edge, not the sharp tip, I love the feel of it. the sound was super crisp, very nice, might be looking into getting one as a keeper pick :haha: but i've got like 20 different picks at home still unused!

Seems like Jazz III usage is pretty high. I wonder what pick Paul uses. I wonder if I can get a Jazz III PRS branded pick. I love the PS logo picks so that with a Jazz III shape slaughter!!
    Plank Owner

I just gave Jazz III's a try myself. I found that they allowed for a lot faster picking of single lines than the traditional pick shape. I found them a bit off putting for rhythm work, but I am working on getting used to that.

I went from yellow tortex (.73) for many years, to green tortex (.88) for many years, and then settled on the size right in between.

The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Frog View Post
    I just gave Jazz III's a try myself. I found that they allowed for a lot faster picking of single lines than the traditional pick shape. I found them a bit off putting for rhythm work, but I am working on getting used to that.
    I'm a Jazz III user, too; I switch them up depending on the guitar. For rhythm work, I use the Ultex larger pick with the Jazz III tip, that has enough give to make rhythm work faster, but the same precise point.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I use the same ones Jeff Beck uses
    Sometimes in life you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Dave

Banned
    I mostly use a thumbpick and my nails for electric and acoustic guitar. Jim Dunlop, plain old white plastic. I like 'em tight so I use the smallest ones I can find. They give me a lot of flexibility, I can use the TP as a flatpick or as I usually do in a kind of flatpick/fingerstyle hybrid. If I break a nail, I have some "press-on" nails that work pretty well. On the rare occasion that I use a flatpick, just a JD USA Nylon, grey, .73. Really simple and boring. I also use a TP and metal fingerpicks when I play banjo. I "cut my teeth" playing Merle Travis, Doc Watson, Dave Van Ronk and various old country blues. Along with playing the banjo, it just simplified everything to use a thumbpick.

Lots of cool options here though.
    Last edited by WishICouldPlay; 08-14-2013 at 04:33 PM.

I'm strictly a Dunlop Speedpick user, .91 or whatever the heaviest is. It's all I've used since they were first introduced. When playing big band, the object is to get the arch top to bark with a quick percussive attack. These do that better than anything I've ever used. I also find that there is less of the pick scraping sound than any other pick. Just to complete it, the tone of the pick matches my fingernails when i use them both at the same time. It's a great pick for Rock and Roll and blues also. Then there's acoustic...........

After this thread started, I went out and got a bunch of different picks. So far I'm really digging the Dava picks. I bought a pack of various colors but for the most part I can't tell them apart.
    (DC 245 Ted / DGT / 513 / Santana / McShootout / Cu22 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Sig LTD / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom) >> {C, H, Dallas, Original Sewell}

PRS picks and Graphtech Picks.
    Current Herd: PRS P22 Eriza Verde / PRS Singlecut Hollowbody II Trampas Green / PRS SE 30 1x12
    Future additions to herd : Pauls Guitar / Angelus Custom / SE Korina One / Archon and 2x12 and if they ever release a SE or S2 Bass

InTune's XJJ (GrippX Jumbo Jazz) 2.0mm personalized with my "signature"... Jazz III shaped, but a bit larger. I find that the majority of the time, I actually use one of the top "shoulders" of the pick, only switching to the tip for fast, intricate picking.
    Paul's Guitar - Charcoal || DGT Std. - Frost Blue Metallic ||DGT 10 Top - Yellow Tiger || DGT Artist - Faded Blue Jean Tobacco Burst || C.A.D. Custom 50 2-Channel - Slate || 2x12 Pine Cabinet - Charcoal

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Seems like Jazz III usage is pretty high. I wonder what pick Paul uses. I wonder if I can get a Jazz III PRS branded pick. I love the PS logo picks so that with a Jazz III shape slaughter!!
    I love the PS eagle too! But I don't really like celluloid picks...hope they will at least offer the PS or 12th fret inlay logo on a delrin/tortex one, I'll definitely bring the whole lot of it home haha