Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened to the faux binding?

Congrats on the new guitar

What I find a little disturbing in some of the posts above are the references to the shoddy condition of supposedly new guitars. Surely they can't be PRS dealers can they? The place I bought my Studio from last month had a fantastic array of both SE and Maryland guitars and each one I picked up looked like it had just been cleaned and pretty much in tune.

Quote Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
    Congrats on the new guitar

What I find a little disturbing in some of the posts above are the references to the shoddy condition of supposedly new guitars. Surely they can't be PRS dealers can they? The place I bought my Studio from last month had a fantastic array of both SE and Maryland guitars and each one I picked up looked like it had just been cleaned and pretty much in tune.
    We have one major chain store here in NZ and I think they're the only official supplier of PRS though a few drip through elsewhere. I'd emphasise that the staff were just the nicest bunch of people and the most grubby PRS I tried had been shipped down from another store for me to try. That said, some of the other models already in stock were pretty bad. A Mark Tremonti I tried was just filthy. Gunged-up, dry fretboard and strings that were black with rust and dirt. This is a $4,000 (discounted...) guitar here in NZ. One Studio I tried was very dusty (indicating that it hadn't been played in ages and that there might be a deal to be had on that one?). I asked. There wasn't.

To recalibrate my brain I kept trying known quantities like a CBS Strat and a Tele. I picked up an EVH that was nearly $2,000. The fret ends were so sharp! Every one of them. Bloody thing was borderline dangerous. Another guitar that needed attention.

On the whole, I think the large chain stores that sell everything musical just unpack a guitar, hang it up and wait for someone to part with a month's salary for it. Staff don't know a huge amount about the guitars (if anything) and, as nice as they are, might just as well be working in the hardware store next door. To get a well cared for and prepared PRS I suspect I'd have to find a small independent.