Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey PRS Dealers...

Copied this from another thread as I thought it might be of interest to dealers. It's just my experience of trying to buy my first PRS. I eventually bought it from a private seller. Have a second one arriving today. Also from a private seller.

Quote Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
    Congrats on the new guitar

What I find a little disturbing in some of the posts above are the references to the shoddy condition of supposedly new guitars. Surely they can't be PRS dealers can they? The place I bought my Studio from last month had a fantastic array of both SE and Maryland guitars and each one I picked up looked like it had just been cleaned and pretty much in tune.
    We have one major chain store here in NZ and I think they're the only official supplier of PRS though a few drip through elsewhere. I'd emphasise that the staff were just the nicest bunch of people and the most grubby PRS I tried had been shipped down from another store for me to try. That said, some of the other models already in stock were pretty bad. A Mark Tremonti I tried was just filthy. Gunged-up, dry fretboard and strings that were black with rust and dirt. This is a $4,000 (discounted...) guitar here in NZ. One Studio I tried was very dusty (indicating that it hadn't been played in ages and that there might be a deal to be had on that one?). I asked. There wasn't.

To recalibrate my brain I kept trying known quantities like a CBS Strat and a Tele. I picked up an EVH that was nearly $2,000. The fret ends were so sharp! Every one of them. Bloody thing was borderline dangerous. Another guitar that needed attention.

On the whole, I think the large chain stores that sell everything musical just unpack a guitar, hang it up and wait for someone to part with a month's salary for it. Staff don't know a huge amount about the guitars (if anything) and, as nice as they are, might just as well be working in the hardware store next door. To get a well cared for and prepared PRS I suspect I'd have to find a small independent.

I do watch the forums more than I post. I guess after having taken some abuse for being a dealer on other forums such as TGP I am a bit shy even here. I think it is great that PRS understands dealers are an important part of the information chain. I learn more from my customers that I could ever learn from listening to myself. I also like to talk about guitars, sci fi, metals, college football and forums give me a place to do so.

So... I got an email from a dealer about a week ago apologizing for the many guitar photos he posted on this site. He asked me to take them down and promised not to be so "heavy handed" in the future. He also promised to be more active here (as a member) than he had been in the past.

I was obviously taken aback by this email because I had no idea what the problem was - or why he felt like he had to delete his photos. I forwarded the email to all of the other mods asking for some background info. No one had a clue what was up.

I called that dealer today. Apparently another dealer told him that the official PRS forum moderators (naming me, specifically) were pissed off about all the photos he was posting. That really surprised me. It isn't true at all. He went on to say some things that made me believe this thread had something to do with it.

So let me clear this up in case my opening post (which was intended to be provocative) was misinterpreted...

No one (and specifically me) ever said a word to anyone else about any of the dealers posting too many of their PRS photos. We want the dealers to post PRS photos here. Lots of them. All of them.We want the dealers to interact with this community - which is what this entire thread is about. Any person who might suggest otherwise is sorely mistaken.
    One Life

Hi Hans and all,

Thanks to Hans to pointing out this thread regarding dealers that I had missed.

I certainly do my best to take a look at the forums as often as possible, but admittedly these days it is more just a scanning of the general threads than anything to see what kinds of things are being discussed. I think in a lot of ways having the discussion be a bit more free form between customers is actually better than having the dealers be too deeply involved, as obviously our opinions will always be a bit biased by our relationship with the factory and the fact that we're of course in the business to sell gear.

The reality for me is this, between updating:

our store web site
    our eBay store
    our Gbase store
    our Reverb.com listings
    our Craigslist postings

as well as keeping our Facebook page current, keeping up with emails, etc. and then doing the normal everyday daily tasks that stores face (ordering inventory, replacing stock, taking care of invoicing, etc.) and then the #1 Priority of waiting on customers, I just simply don't have a ton of time anymore to hang out on the various guitar forums (PRSGuitars.com, Vintage Rocker, TGP, etc.).

The beauty of the new PRS Guitars official forum is that the factory has official input and can disseminate official information, which used to be the role of the PRS dealers back to the days of the PRS Forum, Birds and Moons, etc.

I do certainly stay aware of what things customers are talking about, both online and offline. Fortunately for me and our staff, we're big PRS fans and players, so we're as anxious to see what is coming new from PRS as any customer is....
    Brian Meader
    The Guitar Sanctuary
    Brian@TheGuitarSanctuary.com
    http://www.TheGuitarSanctuary.com
    (972)540-6420

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    So... I got an email from a dealer about a week ago apologizing for the many guitar photos he posted on this site. He asked me to take them down and promised not to be so "heavy handed" in the future. He also promised to be more active here (as a member) than he had been in the past.

I was obviously taken aback by this email because I had no idea what the problem was - or why he felt like he had to delete his photos. I forwarded the email to all of the other mods asking for some background info. No one had a clue what was up.

I called that dealer today. Apparently another dealer told him that the official PRS forum moderators (naming me, specifically) were pissed off about all the photos he was posting. That really surprised me. It isn't true at all. He went on to say some things that made me believe this thread had something to do with it.

So let me clear this up in case my opening post (which was intended to be provocative) was misinterpreted...

No one (and specifically me) ever said a word to anyone else about any of the dealers posting too many of their PRS photos. We want the dealers to post PRS photos here. Lots of them. All of them.We want the dealers to interact with this community - which is what this entire thread is about. Any person who might suggest otherwise is sorely mistaken.
    Well said man.... I am sure that there are a lot of us that consider pics of guitars a big part of why we long on each day... whetehr they are dealers or owners makes no difference to me!!

When this thread was originally started I was happy to see it. I have been quite shocked that more dealers haven't responded. Thanks to everyone who did. I, Like others really like to see dealer participation. I like the idea of community and sharing. I'm also appreciative to PRS and the mods for allowing dealers to post...wish there was more...I want to hear their insights and their thoughts...I think....no....I know that many of the dealers have a tremendous amount of PRS knowledge and institutional memory that really should be contributed and archived for the benefit of the PRS community.

I know you all have businesses to run and you have established clientele...HOWEVER I think it would go a long way with both helping out the general community and building good rapport with potential future customers...from those who are searching for their first PRS...to others who are reaching for the upper echelons of guitardom in limited run and PS land...I'm sure this can be a two edged sword...especially as you balance on the knife edge of friendships and business...I see the risk but I see the opportunity....as long as everyone follows general rules of civility I have high hopes that the benefits far outweigh the potential downside.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 07-24-2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Typos
    -Bob

This is a great topic. For me I already had one established dealer connection and was doing regular business with him. I build, buy, sell and trade guitars as a hobby and this helps with my advanced case of G.A.S.

Due to dealer interaction here on the PRS forum I found another great dealer connection. Big shock to those who've been here awhile it was Brian from Brian's Guitars. If not for this forum I might not have ever connected with Brian and missed out on some really sweet guitars and a really good guitar buddy too.

I think dealers who don't utilize this forum as a valuble resource are missing out.

My 2 cents...
    '11 SC250,'12 Tremonti one-off, 2007/13 McCarty Korina,'11 Custom24 Quilted 10Top,'12 DGT w/BK Miracle Man pups,'12 Studio w/BK Cold Sweat,'07/13 Navarro w/BK Cold Sweat pups,'12 NF3, EVH 5150 Half stack, Randall Half Stack, Hughs & Kettner TubeMeister, other fiddles; Mayones, Suhr, Skervesen, Gibson, Fender, Charvel, Jackson, ESP, Dean, EVH, Taylor, GJ2, Ibanez, Carvin, Kramer, Agile & Spawn

Hey guys,

This truly is an awesome thread. We're a younger dealership, and are moving a lot of guitars, but also learning a lot at the same time. We assume we will be forever learning. We started up in 2010, and have had a great couple of years. I've done everything from sales and shipping to repair work and photography here at MusicStoreLive.com, but now am the Marketing Manager and, thus, have had a chance to start spending some time in forums, chats, and interacting with people in platforms like YouTube, etc. This forum is of course an awesome place for us to learn what's trending, and what our customers want as far as specific products, but it's also an incredible place for us to learn who you guys are, what you're into, and who we're working with on a personal level. We really appreciate getting to know you all with each post and response, and personally connecting with our customers who obviously keep us afloat! Thanks to PRS for supporting and founding this awesome venue in which we can all connect, and thanks to all you fellow dealers for you insights, and willingness to share your opinion or expertise. Of course, again, thanks a million to all of you (myself included) consumers out there, on here, on stage, or wherever you may be. It's really a cool cycle.

All in all, this forum is relatively invaluable for a dealer like us, and we can't thank everyone enough for that. Thanks for having us, and please feel free to reach out for anything at all!

All the best,
    Zach Nugent
    zach@musicstorelive.com
    www.musicstorelive.com

Quote Originally Posted by MusicStoreLive.com View Post
    Hey guys,

This truly is an awesome thread. We're a younger dealership, and are moving a lot of guitars, but also learning a lot at the same time. We assume we will be forever learning. We started up in 2010, and have had a great couple of years. I've done everything from sales and shipping to repair work and photography here at MusicStoreLive.com, but now am the Marketing Manager and, thus, have had a chance to start spending some time in forums, chats, and interacting with people in platforms like YouTube, etc. This forum is of course an awesome place for us to learn what's trending, and what our customers want as far as specific products, but it's also an incredible place for us to learn who you guys are, what you're into, and who we're working with on a personal level. We really appreciate getting to know you all with each post and response, and personally connecting with our customers who obviously keep us afloat! Thanks to PRS for supporting and founding this awesome venue in which we can all connect, and thanks to all you fellow dealers for you insights, and willingness to share your opinion or expertise. Of course, again, thanks a million to all of you (myself included) consumers out there, on here, on stage, or wherever you may be. It's really a cool cycle.

All in all, this forum is relatively invaluable for a dealer like us, and we can't thank everyone enough for that. Thanks for having us, and please feel free to reach out for anything at all!

All the best,
    Zach Nugent
    zach@musicstorelive.com
    www.musicstorelive.com
    I have done business with Musicstorelive.com and was very pleased. I bought my NOS Navarro from Andy and have just closed a deal on an Artist Tremonti that is flat out sick! If you haven't checked them out you should they offer great customer service and will work a deal for you on a pretty impressive PRS inventory.
    '11 SC250,'12 Tremonti one-off, 2007/13 McCarty Korina,'11 Custom24 Quilted 10Top,'12 DGT w/BK Miracle Man pups,'12 Studio w/BK Cold Sweat,'07/13 Navarro w/BK Cold Sweat pups,'12 NF3, EVH 5150 Half stack, Randall Half Stack, Hughs & Kettner TubeMeister, other fiddles; Mayones, Suhr, Skervesen, Gibson, Fender, Charvel, Jackson, ESP, Dean, EVH, Taylor, GJ2, Ibanez, Carvin, Kramer, Agile & Spawn

Quote Originally Posted by Raven17 View Post
    I have done business with Musicstorelive.com and was very pleased. I bought my NOS Navarro from Andy and have just closed a deal on an Artist Tremonti that is flat out sick! If you haven't checked them out you should they offer great customer service and will work a deal for you on a pretty impressive PRS inventory.
    They seem like fun dudes. Their videos are certainly a good time.
    Plank Owner

Thank you so much for the kind words, dudes! We try to have a good time while getting a lot of work done. I have to tell you...I was doing audio on that Gold Rush video (and that's me you hear doing the flat picking in the background too), and we had a BLAST making it. It's really great to hear some feedback on it too. Again, thanks a bunch for your comments, guys. We really appreciate it!

-Zach

You guys are just killing it Zach. You're doing everything right - great photos, great website, amazing and frequent videos and now interacting on the messageboards. Keep it up!
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

"Forum guys" can be a... ermm... unique bunch to deal with. But for every hard-core blogger there are dozens more people who just pop in to get info, share info, and get back to reality. There are literally hundreds more on top of that who never post - but come here to get info. In my opinion, forums like this (being a free place to advertise) afford dealers direct access to the market while providing valuable feedback on products and demographics.

Businesses who ignore the internet as a powerful tool - and forums comprised of the most dedicated fans - need relevant leadership.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Businesses who ignore the internet as a powerful tool - and forums comprised of the most dedicated fans - need relevant leadership.
    In my line of work this is the phrase that pays.

Well said Hans.
    Plank Owner

Auth. PRS Dealer
    I'm a new addition to an existing PRS dealer, which I guess makes me, personally, a new PRS dealer. I'm just getting the webshop up and running, but I know that we can have the best website in the world, but if no one knows we are there or why we exist, it won't do much good to anyone. I have a ton of experience in this business, having worked retail for the first 8 years of my career, then as a manufacturer's rep and national sales manager for two different companies for the last 14 years. I am a working guitarist and have also been a hardcore gear head and am very tech-friendly, which means my participation in online guitar discussions dates back to Prodigy, AOL chat rooms, DejaNews, Yahoo groups, Harmony Central and all the major forums that have been around since the start of the milennium. I am as sick with GAS as anybody here, and if I was doing anything else, I would still be crawling on the forums every single day. For me adding the task of sharing inventory is no big deal. I will be less of a lurker, as well, since my participation in the forums is, I feel, the least I can do in appreciation for the warm welcome I've already received.

Welcome, Jon!
    One Life

I really like seeing what dealers have been getting in, even if they are almost always blue.

I spend hours on websites surfing PRS guitars and it's great to see them here on the forum. The PRS Dealers page is a little "clunky". Having to pick a state from the drop down menu 1st to get a list of dealers and see who has a web link is much less fun than seeing a great guitar pic and following the link. And now most of the dealers I've learned about on the forum are etched in my memory, and browser histories.