Thread: Noisy Tremolo Springs... What do you do?

Noisy Tremolo Springs... What do you do?

I'm wondering what everyone here does for Noisy Tremolo Springs. I know we're working with guitars that are a few grand and all, but what do you do to fix the Ringing?

Here's what I do. I know it's extremely cheap, but, it works! I use some electrical tape and put it over 2 of the springs on both sides. Stops the ring and lasts quite a while! You'll also notice that I leave the back open incase I want to make some adjustments for the trem arm (I only do it when I first buy the guitar, so kind of pointless... I guess!)

Here is a CE 22 in Whale Blue with... Electrical Tape

Here is a Custom 24 in Autumn Sky (bought it 2 days ago...) with Electrical Tape

Here is a Custom 24 in Fire Red with Electrical Tape

and finally... Here is a CE 22 VIntage Yellow with... You guessed it!! ELECTRICAL TAPE!!

so again... what do you guys use?
    Custom 22 Brazilian Limited (Emerald Green/Artist Package Quilt)| Custom 24 (Red Fire Burst/Quilted 10 Top)| Custom 24 (Autumn Sky) | P22 (Solana Burst)| Standard 22 (TriColor Burst)| McCarty Soapbar (Seafoam Green)| CE 22 (Vintage Yellow/3 piece 10 Top)| CE 22 (Whale Blue)| Mesa Dual Rectifier Half Stack| Fender Blues DeVille 410 (USA Made)| Fender Evil Twin (Snakeskin)| Peavey Classic 50 410| Gibson Northern Jumbo Limited

I noticed that my guitar has a bit of this as well. Would love to hear peoples' opinions on this

I like 'em.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Quite brilliant, my friend! If I left the cover on... I would do this for sure!!
    Custom 22 Brazilian Limited (Emerald Green/Artist Package Quilt)| Custom 24 (Red Fire Burst/Quilted 10 Top)| Custom 24 (Autumn Sky) | P22 (Solana Burst)| Standard 22 (TriColor Burst)| McCarty Soapbar (Seafoam Green)| CE 22 (Vintage Yellow/3 piece 10 Top)| CE 22 (Whale Blue)| Mesa Dual Rectifier Half Stack| Fender Blues DeVille 410 (USA Made)| Fender Evil Twin (Snakeskin)| Peavey Classic 50 410| Gibson Northern Jumbo Limited

I bought some SpringNO Tremolo Spring Silencers from Allparts to try them out in my #1, which also happens to have a Tremol-no installed.

I put them in, played for about two minutes, and immediately took them back out. Turns out I like what the springs contribute to my guitar's tone. Makes it sound livelier.

Block the 'trem!

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    I bought some SpringNO Tremolo Spring Silencers from Allparts to try them out in my #1, which also happens to have a Tremol-no installed.

I put them in, played for about two minutes, and immediately took them back out. Turns out I like what the springs contribute to my guitar's tone. Makes it sound livelier.
    I always just hated the Ringing when I was playing without an amp... on my CE's it seemed like something was wrong. The tape just stops them from vibrating it not on tight or anything haha.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw32 View Post
    Block the 'trem!
    I've noticed lots of people blocking out the tremolos over my last almost 20 years of playing... it's a preference... but doesn't that stop you from pulling the bar up?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibson67v View Post
    I've noticed lots of people blocking out the tremolos over my last almost 20 years of playing... it's a preference... but doesn't that stop you from pulling the bar up?
    It does. Works well for me though as I don't use trems and play in alternate tunings sometimes. I also prefer the feel/tone when blocked. Not to derail your thread...

Quote Originally Posted by jrw32 View Post
    It does. Works well for me though as I don't use trems and play in alternate tunings sometimes. I also prefer the feel/tone when blocked. Not to derail your thread...
    no derailment at all! We're talkin' guitars... it's all good!

I used to slip a thick rubber band over the strings (it required removing them from the claw), but then decided to remove them as I believe the spring vibration has a positive effect on tone and sustain.

I realised the noise only bothered me when I was palm muting, then completely stopping playing and listening for the noise. In a normal band situation I didn't notice the noise, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    I used to slip a thick rubber band over the strings (it required removing them from the claw), but then decided to remove them as I believe the spring vibration has a positive effect on tone and sustain.

I realised the noise only bothered me when I was palm muting, then completely stopping playing and listening for the noise. In a normal band situation I didn't notice the noise, ever.
    Exactly! I could only hear it when I was playing without an amp. I'm currently in an apartment (which is painful!!) so I play mostly without an amp as I don't usually get home from work until 6 (only a few amplifier hours available)... I usually take the tape off when I'm recording (not for tonal reasons... I just do it instinctively hahaha). I know a lot of players that will tape off the High E and B strings when they're recording (if they aren't using those strings...) I just never understood that because I always thought that it was kind of cheating yourself.