Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the greatest guitar solo ever?

Quote Originally Posted by ADD View Post
    So many to pick from- if I had to pick one I would go with Larry Carlton on "Kid Charlemagne"
    Oooh, that's a really good one.

Junior Member Chitarrista scarso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
    Which is 'THE Greatest' is impossible to answer.
    I agree, too much guitarists and solos to make a choice; but i remember when i was 14 years old, i've heard the guitar solo by David Gilmour in "Time" and i decided to learn to play the electric guitar.

Feast like a sultan, I do QueenCityGuitars's Avatar
    'Eruption' inspired me to start playing the guitar.
    'Mr. Crowley' inspired me to hone my guitar skills.
    'Shine on You Crazy Diamond' taught me you don't have to play fast to play well.

the 2 solo's george kooymans plays in the "vanilla queen" on the 1977 golden earring live album. after listening to it thousands of times in the last 36 years, it still blows what's left of my mind like the very first time i heard it!

Quote Originally Posted by helmi View Post
    the 2 solo's george kooymans plays in the "vanilla queen" on the 1977 golden earring live album. after listening to it thousands of times in the last 36 years, it still blows what's left of my mind like the very first time i heard it!

I think we all have those 'hit you in the face' moments. For me it was the Bohemian Rhapsody video and solo when I was 10 years old (that started me playing), Van Halen's Hang em High intro (loved Eddie's playing but loved the schooled precision of Randy Rhoads more). Oh, and the Crazy Train opening riff. I also loved Floyd's Wish You Were Here album. Later it was Stevie Ray Vaughan's Soul To Soul album. Took me in a whole new direction.

God, guitars are wonderful...

I don't know about greatest, but this is my favorite. I don't even need to listen to it anymore - it's etched into my brain. I can sing it if you'd like.....

Listen to what Charlie Christian was laying down in 1941.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce9Jtl9D6FQ
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Funkadelic "Maggot Brain"
    PRS DGT Solana Burst, PRS Paul's Dirty 100 #33, Gibson ES-333 w/PRS 59/09's, Ibanez S1520 w/P90's & a Kemper.

I have many that I like including Slash's on Sweet Child Of Mine, but one of my faves is Angus Youngs on AC/DCs Live Wire.
    Solo starts at 3:08.
    I use to have that song programmed into several PC games I use to play a few years back.

Angus's solo is not that long, but just sounds so full of energy.
    The live recording of his solo here is good, but I prefer the studio version of it.

That's good quality AC/DC footage considering its age!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    I can't tell you which is the "greatest solo ever", but I do know Mark Knopfler played it.
    This my friends, is a man with good tastes

Quote Originally Posted by prsrocker1988 View Post
    It's a personal choice but for me it's Hotel California. The very reason I picked up a guitar in the first place.
    Got to hold Joe Walsh's Gtr from recording Hotel California solo at the hard rock...cool vibe...older Strat.

Tough question. If I had to aspire to one it would be Machine Gun (Band of Gypsys).
    http://youtu.be/OR0BjFK8NyA

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    Angus's solo is not that long, but just sounds so full of energy.
    Angus IS PURE ENERGY!!!!!
    (I still miss Bon...)
    Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    Isn't that really a duet?
    Only at the end do they play at the same time, otherwise it's two separate solos back to back to form one big solo.

Still, it's one of the very most influential pieces of music and my favorite lead guitar playing of all time. Bias aside, it's constantly being rated as the best or at least one of the best.

Most people consider it a solo, so yeah to me it's a solo.

For some people it was the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. For me it was the Eagles in that music video.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill SAS 513 View Post
    Got to hold Joe Walsh's Gtr from recording Hotel California solo at the hard rock...cool vibe...older Strat.
    Jealous! Joe is my idol. I love Felder too but Joe is my kind of player. That piece of music saved my life at a time I was in deep depression. It gave me a purpose to live for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tosca View Post
    Angus IS PURE ENERGY!!!!!
    (I still miss Bon...)
    I'm with you there. Squealer and Rocker are probably my two favorite AC/DC solos (album versions).

No love for Dr May??

Even listening to the little solo in Crazy little thing called love, it is perfectly written!

Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    Still like this one by Nuno (at 3:10 mark):

I cant say which solo is the best but 11top is right on the money with nuno. That guy is insane tasty. I learned that rapid descending slur trick from watching him. It's cool as hell and requires very little skill to pull it off!!!!

Did you ever notice that his live tone is exactly the same as his recorded studio tone? To me, that's impressive.

Eliot Easton's solo on The Cars' "Let's Go" is one of the best-constructed, most original I've ever heard. Brief, to the point, well written, well played.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson