Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PRS Singlecut SE with single coil in the neck

PRS Singlecut SE with single coil in the neck

Hello Everyone!
    I have a Singlecut SE (transparent gray) and i just love this guitar. I got an issue that is more personal than other thing:
    I donīt like Humbucker in the neck position! Just Canīt like it! I try, butīs stronger than me...

Iīm wondering how would my guitar sound with a telecaster (lipstick) neck pickup on it? I mean, would it sound bassy, trebly... anyone have ever tried something like that??

Thanks in advance!!

For the NECK: Strat ou tele single coils???

Hello PRS masters! Iīm new in the forum, glad to be part of it! How are you doinī?

Iīm thinking about installing a single coil Pickup in the neck of my Singlecut SE (yea, that one in my profile photo! ) and looking for a neck pickup (single-coil) that gives me something vintage, and not too bassy.
    Question is, Should i go for a STRAT single coil or a TELECASTER one??
    Visually i prefer the tele pickup but TONE is the priority here...

How about a Charlie Christian pup?
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

Tele.

Quote Originally Posted by Danerada View Post
    How about a Charlie Christian pup?
    wow! Never saw that one! Iīm gonna check it out how it sounds!

Vintage Vibe makes a great one.
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Tele.
    Would it be less bassy than a strat one?

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    Would it be less bassy than a strat one?
    I don't know if I'd say it'll be less bassy, but there seems to be an interesting tonal interaction with the lipstick cover. I put a tele in this CE and I couldn't be more pleased.

Whilst I would never disagree with the honorable Sergio, there is probably a wider choice of flavours with single coil Strat sized pickups.

Also, as I might have briefly mentioned to others, I am very fond of Seymour Duncan P-rails. If you don't mind going for the full 'bucker sized rout it genuinely gives great P90, modern-ish glassy single coil and excellent 'bucker tones with the right switching.

Just my 2c.

I don't know if I'd say it'll be less bassy, but there seems to be an interesting tonal interaction with the lipstick cover. I put a tele in this CE and I couldn't be more pleased.
    Yeah man! The cover gives some tonal difference! (thought it was only in my head...) Even to humbuckers. Did you put a noiseless one?

Quote Originally Posted by Danerada View Post
    Vintage Vibe makes a great one.
    Thanks for the tip!! Iīm working now... canīt see vídeos/media... lol
    Canīt wait to search for it at home!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
    Whilst I would never disagree with the honorable Sergio, there is probably a wider choice of flavours with single coil Strat sized pickups.

Also, as I might have briefly mentioned to others, I am very fond of Seymour Duncan P-rails. If you don't mind going for the full 'bucker sized rout it genuinely gives great P90, modern-ish glassy single coil and excellent 'bucker tones with the right switching.

Just my 2c.
    Iīve already had one in a SX Les Paul Custom, and the p90 tone is really great! Humbucking mode is great too! But i found the single coil tone too thin for me... you said it well, a modern glassy tone. Itīs a great pickup for sure! no doubts.. If you put 2 of then, imagine the variety of tones you could get! Thanx man!

Just my 2c.

Iīve already had one in a SX Les Paul Custom, and the p90 tone is really great! Humbucking mode is great too! But i found the single coil tone too thin for me... you said it well, a modern glassy tone. Itīs a great pickup for sure! no doubts.. If you put 2 of then, imagine the variety of tones you could get! Thanx man!
    Richard is a man who's got some great taste and an even greater heart, I love the P-Rail he sent me... plus it's classier 'cause it's from france! I put it in my Gucci guitar and totally dig the single coil tone, but I'm wondering if by turning it around the wrong way and moving the blade closer to the neck some of that "thin" tone you are describing might go away, I think it pairs nicely with the all mahogany construction of my particular guitar though.

Richard is a man who's got some great taste and an even greater heart, I love the P-Rail he sent me... plus it's classier 'cause it's from france! I put it in my Gucci guitar and totally dig the single coil tone, but I'm wondering if by turning it around the wrong way and moving the blade closer to the neck some of that "thin" tone you are describing might go away, I think it pairs nicely with the all mahogany construction of my particular guitar though.
    I tried to do that when i had it and it gave a thicker sound but the p90 became too loud. Looks like it has a way bigger output than the single blade, anyway.. I dont have it anymore, unfortunately... Thanks again for the tip and iīm probably going with the Lipstick Tele pickup, to get that real single coil tone... It sucks because iīm buying on eBay, it only wil get to me in about 30 days ... Itīs 2 times more expensive here in Brazil... lol. Whatever the pickup i get, iīll put some samples to share with you guys when i install it, youīve helped a lot!!! Thanks again!

I tried to do that when i had it and it gave a thicker sound but the p90 became too loud. Looks like it has a way bigger output than the single blade, anyway.. I dont have it anymore, unfortunately... Thanks again for the tip and iīm probably going with the Lipstick Tele pickup, to get that real single coil tone... It sucks because iīm buying on eBay, it only wil get to me in about 30 days ... Itīs 2 times more expensive here in Brazil... lol. Whatever the pickup i get, iīll put some samples to share with you guys when i install it, youīve helped a lot!!! Thanks again!
    Cool! Please do share some samples.... I'd trade cheap guitars for brazilian women any day.

Cool! Please do share some samples.... I'd trade cheap guitars for brazilian women any day.
    lol !!!! Or like we laugh here on the web: kkkkkkk.... nice comparison Sergio! kkk...

Ooh I'm blushing already! But now you've mentioned it I want to see it. To the OP (sorry for the deviation) something else I've just thought of is something like the Rio Grande Vintage Tallboy Tele neck (phew), very Tele neck but with some extra balls and with some cool cover options. I've used them in a couple of Teles and my Parker and I like 'em.

Put an SE soapbar pickup in there. Not thin sounding and not overpowering either.

just my .02 cents

ps- where in Brasil are you located?
    Last edited by Shawn@PRS; 06-28-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Ooh I'm blushing already! But now you've mentioned it I want to see it.
    Bam!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Put an SE soapbar pickup in there. Not thin sounding and not overpowering either.

just my .02 cents

ps- where in Brasil are you located?
    Thats a good idea, but i really like the single SINGLE coil in the neck you know? lol...... thanks for the tip
    I live in Santos, Sao Paulo state!