Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: How hot is too hot?

  1. #1
    chief Shawn@PRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    3,757

    How hot is too hot?

    I read a headline from the Fretboard Journal that said "If it's hot enough to bake cookies in your car, it's too hot for your guitar". I'm going to take it a step further and say "If your car is too hot for your pet, it's too hot for your guitar". Extreme heat can cause fretboard pop, neck movement and melt the wax in the pickups.

    Friends don't let friends leave guitars in hot cars.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    One problem is how hot the trucks that companies like UPS use to ship the guitars get during the summer.

    I was freaked out when my PS acoustic arrived; the case was very warm to the touch when I took it out of the box. I think (hope) that it's all good, but I can feel a few fret ends. Is that what 'fretboard pop' is?

    I wish I'd been able to drive to the factory to pick up the guitar, it would have been air conditioned the whole way home and regardless of anything else, I'd have worried a lot less.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  4. #4
    chief Shawn@PRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    3,757
    We rarely have problems with guitars shipped domestically, but on a couple of occasions last year we had a few guitars that were shipped internationally come back because the wax had melted out of the pickups. We swapped the pups with new ones and re-set up the guitars and they were goo to go.

    I don't know if there is a technical term, but yes when the fretboard shrinks and the fret ends stick out the side of the board.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The FAR SIDE of the Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    970
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    I don't know if there is a technical term, but yes when the fretboard shrinks and the fret ends stick out the side of the board.
    I think the technical term for this condition is "Fender Frets".
    If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    I think the technical term for this condition is "Fender Frets".
    Oh how true it is. you also forgot to add that the high e string is cut right on the edge of the fretboard! i have a skb prs flight case that does a great job in extreme heat or cold. and also, in cleveland, anything over 80 is to hot with our humidity.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Audie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    a few guitars that were shipped internationally come back because the wax had melted out of the pickups. We swapped the pups with new ones and re-set up the guitars and they were goo to go.

    I don't know if there is a technical term, but yes when the fretboard shrinks and the fret ends stick out the side of the board.
    "Goo to Go" Faux Pas or Pun Intended! Funny just the same.

  8. #8
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    6,419
    We could always ask John (Beef).... it's gotta be 120 degrees there.

  9. #9
    chief Shawn@PRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    3,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Audie View Post
    "Goo to Go" Faux Pas or Pun Intended! Funny just the same.
    What I lack in cleverness, I make up with bad spelling

  10. #10
    Goatee Practitioner Danerada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    1,122
    I never leave my gear in the car. If I am playing some where after work, my stuff goes into the office with me...if I am visiting someone and my guitar is with me, it comes in when I do...
    - Dane

    “He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

  11. #11
    Senior Member jfb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    5,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Danerada View Post
    I never leave my gear in the car. If I am playing some where after work, my stuff goes into the office with me...if I am visiting someone and my guitar is with me, it comes in when I do...
    This.
    Plank Owner

  12. #12
    Senior Member vchizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,468
    Yeah, mine don't get left in the car either.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Decorah, Iowa
    Posts
    256
    I know Bob Taylor when asked this would say if it is very uncomfortable/ dangerous to you then it probably is for the guitar too.
    2010 Taylor 816CE
    2014 S2 Singlecut Antique White with PRS \m/ pickups!

  14. #14
    Older getting younger
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
    I know Bob Taylor when asked this would say if it is very uncomfortable/ dangerous to you then it probably is for the guitar too.
    That is what I tell my guitar students.

    I stopped by GC today to see my friend that works there and check out a new PRS they got in and he told me the nut on his custom 22 fell off. I asked him if he kept a case humidifier in the case and he said no. I told him he better start. All of my electrics and acoustics are humidified. It hit 117 degrees today. My A/C has been running non-stop just to keep up.
    PRS electrics and bass, Taylor BTO GS Cocobolo, K26e Koa, 2012 FLTD 412ce-N and GS mini mahogany acoustic guitars; Bad Cat Cub IIR, Carr Rambler, Fender Supersonic 22, Univox, Fishman Loudbox 100, Loudbox Mini and Mark Bass amps
    In music, one must think with his heart and feel with his brain.
    I was joeprs on BAM

  15. #15
    Junior Member Chitarrista scarso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    73
    I have no more my car. I sold it to buy my PRS.

  16. #16

  17. #17
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    6,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitarrista scarso View Post
    I have no more my car. I sold it to buy my PRS.
    My man!!!!

  18. #18
    Opaque John Beef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Posts
    1,741
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    We could always ask John (Beef).... it's gotta be 120 degrees there.
    Almost! 116 Friday, 115 Saturday and Sunday.

    My set of DGT pickups in my Custom 22 are unique in two ways: they are wired to work with the rotary switch, and they had a bunch of wax melt out of them sitting in my mailbox the day they were delivered in July 2010.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

  19. #19
    Name Manglin' Putz alantig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,664
    Alan

    "I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

  20. #20
    I'm always worried my pickups will melt with it in the car down here in FL
    But I used to work outside in the field, so I'd leave it hidden in the hotel room somewhere

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •