Thread: DGT Standard vs DGT Tone Differences?

DGT Standard vs DGT Tone Differences?

These have been in the hands of their owners for some time now and wondering from those in the know how they compare to your regular DGT?
    Not really a vesus thread...they both sound great but I'm looking to put another DGT in the rack and hoping its a different enough flavor if that makes any sense
    Didn't really come up with what I was after in a search...I struggle searching on forums with 3 letter designations.
    Thanks!

I owned a standard, and it just didn't have quite enough brightness for me. It was a great guitar in every sense, but in a side-by-side, I like the maple-capped variety better. The standard was nice and warm and woody, but, again, it was missing a little something. I guess it depends on the tone you're looking for, and if you're looking for something differen from your DGT, you won't be dissapointed
    Too many and never enough...

Thanks for the description.I actually find my DGT to be very bright so mellower would be just fine.
    Thanks again!

It's heresy, but you could always swap out the pickups for something completely different. I love the DGT's neck and wish it was an option on all PRS guitars. I'd be such a happy camper! I have the maple capped DGT and never found it to bright actually but I went big with one in the 8 pound range.
    PRS DGT Solana Burst, PRS Paul's Dirty 100 #33, Gibson ES-333 w/PRS 59/09's, Ibanez S1520 w/P90's & a Kemper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ape Factory View Post
    It's heresy, but you could always swap out the pickups for something completely different. I love the DGT's neck and wish it was an option on all PRS guitars. I'd be such a happy camper! I have the maple capped DGT and never found it to bright actually but I went big with one in the 8 pound range.
    I considered that option as well....57/08s into a regular DGT...I love the maple tops.
    I could easily see having several DGTs as the neck feels like it was made just for me...if I could just get enough tonal varition to justify each new one
    Mines not too bright but it is right on the edge of it.

DGT Club President BostonGuitar's Avatar
    Standard will be a perfect compliment...
    Had I not landed in an extra special mapletopped McBurst, I would still own the standard I had...
    Official DGT Club President 2008-2016
    "Lucky": 2012 McCartyBurst PRS DGT Moons (59/09 Neck Pickup)
    "Lucy G": 2008 GoldTop/DarkBack PRS DGT Birds(57/08 Pickup)
    "Lester": 2007 GoldTop/DarkBack Les Paul R0(59/09-57/08)

I thought the Standard had a midrange oriented sound that really cut through a mix. I liked the Standard I played very much! I also liked the maple top, but I think I'd probably go for the Standard if I had to make a choice.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Older getting younger
    My DGT Std has been a GAS killer for me. I have a variety of maple capped, and stds, etc. It cuts through the mix real well. I have a CU22 IRW which was my no. 1 until the DGT arrived. It's been over a year, so I think the honeymoon phase is over by now.
    PRS electrics and bass, Taylor BTO GS Cocobolo, K26e Koa, 2012 FLTD 412ce-N and GS mini mahogany acoustic guitars; Bad Cat Cub IIR, Carr Rambler, Fender Supersonic 22, Univox, Fishman Loudbox 100, Loudbox Mini and Mark Bass amps
    In music, one must think with his heart and feel with his brain.
    I was joeprs on BAM

DGT Club Vice President
    I do better with pictures...

mgd

DGTs

DGT Club Vice President
    I find my goldtop to be my personal favorite of the three. Some of that has to do with the fact that I've been playing it solidly for the past five years and have grown accustom to its nuances. The Standard is an amazing sounding guitar...it's just a little warming than its two maple topped brothers. Oddly enough, the necks on the '08 and '12 are NOTHING alike at all. The blue Standard has an old school W/F neck. You can't go wrong with any of the them.

mgd

DGTs