Thread: McCarty Hollowbody Spruce Piezo : any thought?

McCarty Hollowbody Spruce Piezo : any thought?

Hi guys,

Currently this beauty hs shown up on my local webboard for $2850. My friend is really interested to pull the trigger but he would like to hear opinions from the expert, which I could not think of anywhere else but here. He is basically a piano player in my band (and a really good friend of mine since university). He is looking for his first, and maybe his only electric guitar that will last him a very long time. He loves various kinds of music, classical, jazz, rock, pop, metal, you name it.

What are your thoughts on this?

Paul's Guitar in Copper, 408MT Brazilian Neck in Black Gold
    Musicman JP6 full option in Mystic Dream, Gibson Explorer with EMG 81-85 in Black

This guitar is the definition of what you described your friend to be - a jack of all trades. It can do anything from metal, to jazz to acoustic with the piezo and do them all quite well. That particular guitar is gorgeous and in very good condition and if I needed to have only 1 guitar, that would be a damn good choice! Tone wise I happen to enjoy the spruce top slightly more than the maple top. Also, assuming he is in Thailand as well, I would assume PRS aren't very common so I'd jump on it!
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    This guitar is the definition of what you described your friend to be - a jack of all trades. It can do anything from metal, to jazz to acoustic with the piezo and do them all quite well. That particular guitar is gorgeous and in very good condition and if I needed to have only 1 guitar, that would be a damn good choice! Tone wise I happen to enjoy the spruce top slightly more than the maple top. Also, assuming he is in Thailand as well, I would assume PRS aren't very common so I'd jump on it!
    +1. Mike is right on.

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    Thank you Mike, that was I thought but just would like to confirm. Actually, I also have a hidden agenda here, if he get this one, I may, down the road, snatch this from him later once my wife start to forget about my 2 recently acquired PRSs!
    Musicman JP6 full option in Mystic Dream, Gibson Explorer with EMG 81-85 in Black

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    +1. Mike is right on.
    Thank you for the confirmation Egads ^ ^

I have the same model but a different finish. I'm crazy about it. As it ages, my spruce top's sound continues to open up, getting sonically wider, it seems. As themike said, this model can cover a lot of ground.

My goldtop is an HBSpruce. It makes me sound much better than I am....
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMoons View Post
    I have the same model but a different finish. I'm crazy about it. As it ages, my spruce top's sound continues to open up, getting sonically wider, it seems. As themike said, this model can cover a lot of ground.
    Thank you BlackMoons! Seems like the spruce top is kind of favourite here. It makes me wonder why it is not the current option for HB2?

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    My goldtop is an HBSpruce. It makes me sound much better than I am....
    Thanks rugerpc! My friend is completely sold now. We will go and check this guitar out this Sunday!