Thread: Should I, or Shouldn't I? ...and on Monday?

Should I, or Shouldn't I? ...and on Monday?

My local Long and McQuade has a P22 in Solana Burst. It's a 2012... New, not used... no scratches on the Top but a bit of a gouge/scratch on the side... I really want to get a P22 a week from today lol... I could also go for one in Armando's Amethyst in a different city that I could get shipped by monday.

The 2012 has 53/10 pickups which I have heard are amazing, where as the 2013 has 57/08s... thoughts

oh yeah... I snapped a picture with my iPhone

either way I will probably have a NGD monday night!!!
    Custom 22 Brazilian Limited (Emerald Green/Artist Package Quilt)| Custom 24 (Red Fire Burst/Quilted 10 Top)| Custom 24 (Autumn Sky) | P22 (Solana Burst)| Standard 22 (TriColor Burst)| McCarty Soapbar (Seafoam Green)| CE 22 (Vintage Yellow/3 piece 10 Top)| CE 22 (Whale Blue)| Mesa Dual Rectifier Half Stack| Fender Blues DeVille 410 (USA Made)| Fender Evil Twin (Snakeskin)| Peavey Classic 50 410| Gibson Northern Jumbo Limited

I mean its really up to personal preference but if I were you I would jump on the one with 53/10 as they are much harder pickups to find nowadays and really great to boot!

I would also hope that the store would be accommodating with the price since you said it has a ding on it and is new.
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

I have both pickups (and in very similar guitars at one point in time), and I like the 53/10s, especially paired with the piezo.

DO IT!

I just picked up a 2012 P22 with the 53/10 pickups and I had the chance to compare it with a 2013 P22 trem with 57/08s. The 53/10s are lower output and sound more 'vintagey" to me (the 57/08s were notably hotter when I compared the two guitars). The 53/10 pickups are definitely one of my favorite PRS pickups and I would take them over the 57/08s in a heartbeat. I ended up taking the 2012 P22 home.

From an aesthetic side, I guess it depends on whether you like the 2013 birds better (shell birds with an outline vs. solid grey colour birds with an outline)?

If it was me, I'd jump on the 2012, but I guess it depends on what kind of music you play. If you want the guitar primarily for high gain music, then maybe the 57/08s a better match for you than the 53/10s. Did you get a chance to plug in the guitar with the 53/10s? If not, I would recommend doing so to see what you think. Maybe that will make your decision for you?

Good luck and happy hunting!
    Last edited by lchender; 07-08-2013 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lchender View Post
    I just picked up a 2012 P22 with the 53/10 pickups and I had the chance to compare it with a 2013 P22 trem with 57/08s. The 53/10s are lower output and sound more 'vintagey" to me (the 57/08s were notably hotter when I compared the two guitars). The 53/10 pickups are definitely one of my favorite PRS pickups and I would take them over the 57/08s in a heartbeat. I ended up taking the 2012 P22 home.

From an aesthetic side, I guess it depends on whether you like the 2013 birds better (shell birds with an outline vs. solid grey colour birds with an outline)?

If it was me, I'd jump on the 2012, but I guess it depends on what kind of music you play. If you want the guitar primarily for high gain music, then maybe the 57/08s a better match for you than the 53/10s. Did you get a chance to plug in the guitar with the 53/10s? If not, I would recommend doing so to see what you think. Maybe that will make your decision for you?

Good luck and happy hunting!

I play a lot of different styles... High Gain is always great, but I usually find myself ditching the Mesa and plugging into a Blues DeVille or Classic 50. I also have other guitars that work really well with High Gain.

Thanks for the input... I'm gonna see what they can do for me about the scratches and probably pick 'er up on Monday! That will mean 48 packs of strings from Paul Reed Smith hahaha
    Custom 22 Brazilian Limited (Emerald Green/Artist Package Quilt)| Custom 24 (Red Fire Burst/Quilted 10 Top)| Custom 24 (Autumn Sky) | P22 (Solana Burst)| Standard 22 (TriColor Burst)| McCarty Soapbar (Seafoam Green)| CE 22 (Vintage Yellow/3 piece 10 Top)| CE 22 (Whale Blue)| Mesa Dual Rectifier Half Stack| Fender Blues DeVille 410 (USA Made)| Fender Evil Twin (Snakeskin)| Peavey Classic 50 410| Gibson Northern Jumbo Limited

I'd go for the 53/10s, simply because they're hard to get and sound great. That's just me.

A ding can always be repaired by the PTC if it bothers you.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Can you imagine ever being told "don't do it" by this crew? We're enablers of the worst (or best) variety.
    One Life

All I can see is that bitchin' Kramer behind it.....(straight face)

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Can you imagine ever being told "don't do it" by this crew? We're enablers of the worst (or best) variety.
    Yeah... I know! I think I knew the answer before I posted, though haha!

Go the 53/10s, they're the pickup PRSh wanted in that guitar, and it's only because of supply that they're not still in there.

Grab a good discount because of the ding, forget about the ding, and play the snot out of it!

I have a 53/10 loaded P22. it is THE business. that is all. Armandos amythyst is sexy though.
    PRS Singlecut Hollowbody II Trampas Green / PRS SE 30 1x12
    Mike Mustok Baritone Brown Burst to come later.

as an answer...

I DID IT!!! well on Monday... it's on hold for me!

Here's a picture of the dent/scratch... they gave me $100 off

a picture of the back... they are all from my iPhone and not the greatest quality

and of course... the same birds as my '11 Custom 24 (Bronze Mother of pearl)

funny enough... I had the guy check the hang tag to confirm that they are 53/10's... and the hang tag just says "P22" for the pickups... but they all came with 53/10s... so

more pictures Monday night!

The hangtag for my P22 also just says "P22" for the pickups. As long as the guitar was built in 2012, it should have the 53/10 pickups in it.

Congratulations on the new addition to the harem - she's a looker!
    Last edited by lchender; 07-10-2013 at 09:17 PM.

That's a beauty! Enjoy it!
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Nice!

Congrats!

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Well played, Sir!
    One Life