Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: PRS S2 Series - USA Built!!! For $1179!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Okay, here goes.
    The rep brought in 3 guitars to the local guitar shop Monday. Custom, Mira and Starla. For the purposes of this post, I'm focusing on the Custom. I took some photos with my phone, with permission of the rep, in order to attempt to show some closeups. Please forgive the poor photo quality and my shaky hands.

My general impressions of the guitar were very good. I will break down specifics with the pictures, but the build quality was top notch. Felt great in your hands, and is a step above the SE line. You can tell the difference. You can also however, tell the difference between the feel of the S2 and the core custom 24. I can't exactly quantify how, but it could have just been the setup. Build quality was excellent. It represents it's price point very well, and is IMO, exactly what it is represented to be.

To my ear, it was very difficult for me to tell the difference between the S2 pickups tone vs. a standard set of HFS and Vintage Bass pickups. Now, on with the show:

Here is a pic of the front of the guitar. Clearly, the figuring is not up to the level of a core line PRS. That's probably what they mean by using wood that is easier to source and not as expensive. It has ok figuring, but clearly nothing that they would use on a core guitar.

Another Angle:

Here's a shot of the maple cap. Seems to be a good slab, nice thickness:

Here is the neck joint. Very nice, clean work:

Here is a picture of the back of the guitar. Here's a major difference. You can see in the photo the cavity covers are not countersunk, they are surface mounted. Not a huge deal, but it seems like it wouldn't cost any more to add the countersink program into the CNC machine. Oh well:

Steel sustain block, not Brass, but we all knew that going in:

Very clean inlay work. The birds are straight ivory colored. No Mother of Pearl, but at least you get the birds:

Perhaps the biggest weakness in the guitar, as I see it anyway, is the SE trem. the bridge saddles are clearly not as nice as the core lineup stuff, but they are straight up about it on the website, and they have to save money somewhere. I guess you could always upgrade:

Here's a shot of the back of the headstock. Handwritten serial number American Style! I looked as hard as I could, and I couldn't see the scarf joint anywhere on the neck. The rep showed me where it was, but I still couldn't see it. Very impressed:

And finally, the much debated "S2 locking tuners". Honestly, they are very high quality locking tuners. I don't see any reason whatsoever to upgrade:

The finish on the guitar was excellent, but not quite as nice as the core line stuff. You could tell there is a different finishing process.

Bottom line, great guitar for the money.

Very informative..... clearly this is just the beginning of this line and if all goes well for it we will see future improvements like the countersunk back plates that it seem so such a good idea since the SE line it done properly.

Waiting for the S2 513 Piezo Trem! :P

Okay, here goes.
    The rep brought in 3 guitars to the local guitar shop Monday. Custom, Mira and Starla. For the purposes of this post, I'm focusing on the Custom. I took some photos with my phone, with permission of the rep, in order to attempt to show some closeups. Please forgive the poor photo quality and my shaky hands.

My general impressions of the guitar were very good. I will break down specifics with the pictures, but the build quality was top notch. Felt great in your hands, and is a step above the SE line. You can tell the difference. You can also however, tell the difference between the feel of the S2 and the core custom 24. I can't exactly quantify how, but it could have just been the setup. Build quality was excellent. It represents it's price point very well, and is IMO, exactly what it is represented to be.

To my ear, it was very difficult for me to tell the difference between the S2 pickups tone vs. a standard set of HFS and Vintage Bass pickups. Now, on with the show:

Here is a pic of the front of the guitar. Clearly, the figuring is not up to the level of a core line PRS. That's probably what they mean by using wood that is easier to source and not as expensive. It has ok figuring, but clearly nothing that they would use on a core guitar.

Another Angle:

Here's a shot of the maple cap. Seems to be a good slab, nice thickness:

Here is the neck joint. Very nice, clean work:

Here is a picture of the back of the guitar. Here's a major difference. You can see in the photo the cavity covers are not countersunk, they are surface mounted. Not a huge deal, but it seems like it wouldn't cost any more to add the countersink program into the CNC machine. Oh well:

Steel sustain block, not Brass, but we all knew that going in:

Very clean inlay work. The birds are straight ivory colored. No Mother of Pearl, but at least you get the birds:

Perhaps the biggest weakness in the guitar, as I see it anyway, is the SE trem. the bridge saddles are clearly not as nice as the core lineup stuff, but they are straight up about it on the website, and they have to save money somewhere. I guess you could always upgrade:

Here's a shot of the back of the headstock. Handwritten serial number American Style! I looked as hard as I could, and I couldn't see the scarf joint anywhere on the neck. The rep showed me where it was, but I still couldn't see it. Very impressed:

And finally, the much debated "S2 locking tuners". Honestly, they are very high quality locking tuners. I don't see any reason whatsoever to upgrade:

The finish on the guitar was excellent, but not quite as nice as the core line stuff. You could tell there is a different finishing process.

Bottom line, great guitar for the money.
    Thanks for posting this nice close up look at the Custom. Looks great. Nice to know they're hiding the scarf joint well. I read somewhere that if the right glue is used, a scarf joint can actually be stronger than a one piece, because the grain will be running straight in the headstock, rather than being at an angle. Not sure if it's true, and probably applies more to a certain company known for a problematic headstock angle, but still interesting.

As far as wood grade goes, I see what you mean about the Custom's maple top. Not that it's bad by any means. I'm looking forward to seeing the Miras and Starlas that roll off the line. Even my SE's have some nice, uniformly grained mahogany, so I think that if they can make the grain pop a bit on the S2's, they'll look pretty good despite not being core line quality wood.
    Last edited by andy474x; 07-18-2013 at 02:11 PM.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blaren View Post
    Hey I really do love to come here to complain..
    Fixed that for ya.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

For those interested, some SEs don't have countersunk trem covers, like my SE Tremonti Custom. The control cover and toggle switch cover are countersunk, but not the trem cover. It makes sense that this might be because of the trem block and thin bodies (as someone guessed) but the Tremonti has a really thick body. So who knows.

ALSO, people who are considering upgrading the S2's trem might want to take some measurements because I know that US trems don't fit '12 or '13 SE models without plugging holes and redrilling. I suspect the same for the S2 Custom, since it has an SE trem.

deus ex machina
    Quote Originally Posted by bretwomack View Post
    ALSO, people who are considering upgrading the S2's trem might want to take some measurements because I know that US trems don't fit '12 or '13 SE models without plugging holes and redrilling. I suspect the same for the S2 Custom, since it has an SE trem.
    I smell a business opportunity for Mr. Mann. Calling John Mann....

Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    Even my SE's have some nice, uniformly grained mahogany, so I think that if they can make the grain pop a bit on the S2's, they'll look pretty good despite not being core line quality wood.
    I think the difference between the SE's and the S2's, and I could be wrong about this, is that the S2's have a slab of figured maple and the SE's have a figured veneer over a slab of maple. Since you can make a real kick-ass piece of figured maple go like 30 times further using it as a veneer as you can using the whole piece for a top, it stands to reason the SE tops look nicer.

So, what's the big deal really between the flame maple veneer, or having a flame maple cap if the veneer looks nicer? Let me start by saying that I don't have any scientific data to back this up, but I've had it explained to me in this way and it made sense to me. The very real possibility exists that this information is completely wrong, so in the interest of full disclosure, take it for what it's worth.

The figuring in a piece of wood is actually a defect in the growth pattern of the wood caused by the cell walls of the wood varying in shape and density. Some cells are circular and some or oval. The sections that are oval have more cells per inch than the circular cell areas. This is what gives the wood the rippled or quilted appearance. More importantly, the changes in density of the wood effect the way the vibration patterns move through the wood and how it causes the piece of wood to resonate. A straight piece of rock maple with no figuring would not resonate in the same way as a highly figured piece of maple, or so the story goes. Since no two figured pieces of wood are the same pattern, the variations can make two otherwise identical guitars sound different. So, as well as adding beauty to your instrument, you are also adding a certain degree of tonal character. A piece of veneer would not add this character since it is too thin to matter. Now, this really only matters to anyone if you believe that peoples ears are so in tune that they can actually hear the difference between a figured and non-figured piece of maple, but there are people that claim it does make a difference.
    Last edited by nobozos; 07-18-2013 at 04:36 PM.

I think the difference between the SE's and the S2's, and I could be wrong about this, is that the S2's have a slab of figured maple and the SE's have a figured veneer over a slab of maple. Since you can make a real kick-ass piece of figured maple go like 30 times further using it as a veneer as you can using the whole piece for a top, it stands to reason the SE tops look nicer.

So, what's the big deal really between the flame maple veneer, or having a flame maple cap if the veneer looks nicer? Let me start by saying that I don't have any scientific data to back this up, but I've had it explained to me in this way and it made sense to me. The very real possibility exists that this information is completely wrong, so in the interest of full disclosure, take it for what it's worth.

The figuring in a piece of wood is actually a defect in the growth pattern of the wood caused by the cell walls of the wood varying in shape and density. Some cells are circular and some or oval. The sections that are oval have more cells per inch than the circular cell areas. This is what gives the wood the rippled or quilted appearance. More importantly, the changes in density of the wood effect the way the vibration patterns move through the wood and how it causes the piece of wood to resonate. A straight piece of rock maple with no figuring would not resonate in the same way as a highly figured piece of maple, or so the story goes. Since no two figured pieces of wood are the same pattern, the variations can make two otherwise identical guitars sound different. So, as well as adding beauty to your instrument, you are also adding a certain degree of tonal character. A piece of veneer would not add this character since it is too thin to matter. Now, this really only matters to anyone if you believe that peoples ears are so in tune that they can actually hear the difference between a figured and non-figured piece of maple, but there are people that claim it does make a difference.
    I thought it was the other way around...that a plain piece of maple resonates better than a figured piece. But the figured piece makes for a prettier top. I suspect the difference in resonance, all other factors being equal, would be largely indistinguishable to most ears. And, of course, every piece of wood is different so there are no hard and fast rules.

I believe you are right Paul. It's not that a figured piece of wood resonates better, but it resonates differently. It adds a different dimension of tonal character because of the way the way the wood vibrates. String vibrations are transferred to the wood through the hardware, where certain sympathetic frequencies are enhanced and others are muted depending on the type of wood and shape of the body, then transferred back through the hardware to the strings, effecting the way that the strings vibrate. This string vibration is sensed by the pickups and generates the unique tone of your instrument. The varying densities of the figured maple are supposed to impact how the vibrations are transferred through the hardware back to your strings, impacting your tone. Resonance is one component of that. The pattern supposedly impacts the resonant frequencies that are enhanced and muted. That's the theory anyway.

Nobozos, thanks for the pics and great info. I think your post confirms to me that I need to pass on the S2 Custom, I think I would always be wishing that I had saved harder and bought the Core model.

So I'll continue to put my cash in the bank and aim to have a core model in around 6-8 months time.

I'm looking forward to trying out the S2 Mira however, I have a feeling that I'll be adding one to my collection at some point.

I think PRS could change your mind with two words. Faux binding. It seems like a small detail, but I'll bet if they were to finish it with faux binding, it would make the Custom much more attractive.

deus ex machina
    I think PRS could change your mind with two words. Faux binding. It seems like a small detail, but I'll bet if they were to finish it with faux binding, it would make the Custom much more attractive.
    I own a high-end CU24, and it doesn't have faux binding.

Quote Originally Posted by Em7 View Post
    I own a high-end CU24, and it doesn't have faux binding.

That guitar doesn't need it.

New to the forum,great resource for all things related to PRS. Not having buyers remorse, as I truly am enjoying my SE Singlecut Korina I bought a couple of months ago as a leftover.I always have had a fondness for Korina guitars,and this was a fantastic value and plays and looks great.
    But if I knew the S2 Maryland built models were in the wings,I would have probably held off and checked the Custom model out for certain.The used examples of the original models were just too pricey for me,
    As a hobby player for 40+ years that '08 Advanced Jumbo I bought recently was enough of a foot dip into the world of higher end guitars for the present.

Quote Originally Posted by bretwomack View Post
    For those interested, some SEs don't have countersunk trem covers, like my SE Tremonti Custom. The control cover and toggle switch cover are countersunk, but not the trem cover. It makes sense that this might be because of the trem block and thin bodies (as someone guessed) but the Tremonti has a really thick body. So who knows.

Some US core line don't have flush trem cavity covers either e.g. DC3, NF3 and Brent Mason.

It's weird they changed the trem, I do wonder why? Maybe a imperial->metric thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Danerada View Post
    I'll tell you what...I think those Mira S2's sound really good...I think a CRGTR Demo is in order!!!!
    I think that could happen......
    Chris Reynolds...Nashvegas TN
    CR Guitar Demos
    More guitars than I can afford!
    #1 fan of Doug "DA MAN" Sewell!!

Custom 24 will be mine...oh yes it will be mine

Gassin' for an S2 Starla in antique white w/birds...