Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jamie Playing With 30 Seconds to Mars, New Videos - New York City

Jamie Playing With 30 Seconds to Mars, New Videos - New York City

Guys, I wanted to post two really nice acoustic songs from the set that 30 Seconds to Mars did in NYC that were just put on You Tube; yeah that's my boy on guitar and backup vocals (!) Let me know if this is getting old for you all, but I really dig this stuff:

Last edited by LSchefman; 07-09-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

And one more - very exciting for me as I love the music and it's so cool to see my son playing with them:

If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

And just to complete the set, this was already posted but in case you wanted to see all 3:

-- Homer J. Simpson

That's pretty darn cool les, I only hope I get moments like that with my son. If you're worried the guys here are getting sick of these just private post them to me, I will enjoy it with you!

Add me to the list...

My Son is in a small label Indie band and I know I enjoy that! I can only imagine him having this kind of success...

It's very cool Les, keep it coming!
    If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Keep 'em coming proud papa! I'm loving it...
    -Jon

"I'm a sinner and I hope I never change"

What venue is that in New York? Looks really familiar.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Very cool and definitely worth sharing. I dig Thirty Seconds to Mars, their live shows are great.
    Gear: Fender, PRS, Orange, Budda

Bangin'.

You're great friends to put up with me, guys....

Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    Add me to the list...

My Son is in a small label Indie band and I know I enjoy that! I can only imagine him having this kind of success...

It's very cool Les, keep it coming!
    I'd love to know more about your son's band! I'm all about sharing this kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    What venue is that in New York? Looks really familiar.
    It's actually a church, but I don't know which one.

30STM got ready for their European full blown tour by doing small-venue acoustic shows like this one, in NY, Chi, and maybe Philly?

For me, what's especially cool is that Jamie is learning the biz from a very experienced touring band used to doing big shows. It's awfully hard to get that experience!
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Late to this thread, but keep 'em coming, Les!
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

That is absolutely cool-as-hell, Les. It's also really cool to think how many of our kids are also musicians. I like to think that's one of my greatest gifts to the boys. You probably feel the same way.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Can you have too many? Buildermike's Avatar
    Proud Papa, post away! That's what life is all about.

I'd be proud too, Les.
    One Life

What a fantastic experience! Very talented band too, I'm sure he can learn a lot

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I do feel a little sheepish, in the sense that I realize that it's kind of braggy to be posting this stuff about your kid.

But at the same time, you are musicians, and you understand both the totality of the work that goes into pulling off shows like this, and the musical result that speaks for itself. Son or no, if I didn't think the music was good, I wouldn't bother.

One thing that interests me is that the band didn't try to fill up every bit of "space" in the arrangements to make up for the lack of electric and electronic instruments (the records have both). Somehow they made the decision to leave what I call "airspace" in the tracks, and I think they exploited the natural musical tension that results very nicely.

It's something that I think a lot of artists could learn from!

Just one example is Tomo Milisevic's guitar work in these vids. I know from talking with Jamie that Tomo is a very accomplished player with extremely impressive chops. I think Jamie used the word, "monster" in connection with how good he is. Yet in these shows, he plays very simple, restrained parts. It becomes more about what is working for the songs than showing off one's skills. As a composer, arranger and producer I'd say that's artistic in a good way.

I also was impressed with Jared's skills as a bandleader and performer.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 07-11-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    You're great friends to put up with me, guys....

I'd love to know more about your son's band! I'm all about sharing this kind of stuff.
    It's a "Screamo" Band called I, The Skyline. I don't get it, but I don't think I'm supposed too! My role is to be supportive and loan gear...

The good news to me is I think they've passed this phase. They are back writing and it's a lot more melodic, with a mix of electric and acoustic elements. I wish i had a way to post a song he gave me... they were goofing in the studio and did all acoustic version of "The Frey"'s song "Cable Car" with him on vocals - it's my very favorite of his.

It's fun to watch them grow.
    If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!

Rango, they do a great job with the genre! Thanks for sharing that!

I love the part about being supportive and loaning gear, too.

Been there!
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Rango, they do a great job with the genre! Thanks for sharing that!

I love the part about being supportive and loaning gear, too.

Been there!
    Thanks

One of my favorite things now is he will come over and we'll just go in my music room and play... Not much talking but an amazing amount of communication. I'm sure you enjoy it when you get a chance to play with your son.

I think mine is starting to understand what I told my Father at his Sixtieth Birthday party -> "The older I get, the smarter YOU get..."

Very Cool and beautifully done. Did they play any other songs, from their new album (which I bought). I ask this because I find it interesting that they played in a church. As we all know, 30STM's new album is a bit racy (at least some of the songs)--not a criticism at all--just a fact to my next point. Has anyone seen the documentary on ***** Riot? They are Russian Punk rock radical girls who play politically charged music aimed against Putin and the Russian Orthodox Church. They were arrested for taking their music to Moscow's Christ the Savior Church. Two of the three are still in jail. It's an excellent documentary and shows how screwed up governments can be when common folk speak up against them.
    Frank Bello
    PRS CUSTOM 24
    http://frankbello56.blogspot.com/