Thread: Dealing with 513 noise

Dealing with 513 noise

Hey everyone, first time poster here ^_^

So I've had my 513 for a little over a ear now and it's without a doubt my favorite instrument I've ever owned (granted, it's only my 4th electric guitar as I'm a broke college grad lol). Unfortunately, I don't get to play it out as much as I'd like, mainly because my band isn't well established yet and I don't feel comfortable bringing it to most of the venues/shows we play. The other main reason i don't use it though is because of the noise. The single coil hum is to be expected but it is very noisy on the humbucker and heavy humbucker settings when used with distortion. I play in a prog rock/metal band that plays throughout the dynamic spectrum and we often venture into high gain territory. The noise gets really bad and I can't bring myself to use the in between pickup positions because they have too much quack and chime.

What do you fellow 513 owners do for noise? I've considered trying a different shielding method in the control cavity other than the existing paint. I dislike using noise gates/suppressors because of the way they suck tone and kill sustain. Any other tips?

Thanks

Welcome! But hmmm, I don't have any noise issues with mine.
    (DC 245 Ted / DGT / 513 / Santana / McShootout / Cu22 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Sig LTD / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom) >> {C, H, Dallas, Original Sewell}

Welcome!

I've had a couple of 513s too and have never had any noise issues either. Does the noise go away when you turn the volume down? Are you the original owner?

They do pick up light dimmers and TV's a little more. The only time I have had problems with noise was when a switch got messed up.

Thanks for the responses everybody! The noise issue really only happens with distortion. With my RAT, it's bad. With my Tube Screamer, it's manageable. With my Big Muff variant, it's horrendous. I believe it does go away when you turn down the volume knob and I got it used from a Guitar Center.

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    Do you play places with lots of neon lights? I used to play a club in Woodland, California where the owner was too cheap to install stage lights, so she hung neon beer signs (free from the beer companies!) all over the stage. You could pick that stuff up on your teeth fillings! First gig I played there, I took my Strat, and had to ride my volume knob all night. The next gig there, I took a G&L with hum-cancelling "Z-coil" pickups, and it was noisy in there as well. I think an unplugged acoustic would have buzzed in that place...

Are these pedals all on battery?
    Last edited by Dancing Frog; 07-15-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Welcome to the forum. Wish I could assist. I've never really tried a 513.
    Plank Owner