Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fact Checking Is Important, People!

Fact Checking Is Important, People!

REAL fact checking, not just paying it lip service.

This is KTVU is San Francisco covering the Asiana plane crash. It has since been reported that a summer intern at the NTSB "confirmed" these names, but a) who's taking confirmation from an intern; and b) how do you not hear these names and not realize it's a prank? I used to feel a bit bad for news organizations when stuff like this slipped through, or especially the Howard Stern listeners prank calling (I actually caught one live the night Princess Diana died), but they're more worried about being first than being correct, so they get what they deserve.

Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

HAhahaha! How did she get past saying Ho Lee *** without knowing she'd been had?! Damn, I'm so glad I'm alive sometimes.

Great Odin's Raven, that was a Ron Burgundy moment

That's awesome!

how the heck does that happen?!?!
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    Shoe-sized IQs.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    That's awesome!

They just read what's on the teleprompter.

Did this really happen?
    DGT Secretary of Space

Yes, Yes, it did. CNN and the San Francisco Examiner are carrying the story. No one knows who the source of the names was, but the intern confirmed the names. I guess the news staff were all absent on the day they taught common sense in school.

TV NEWS PRANKSTER IDENTIFIED

CNN, San Francisco. The name of the TV news prankster who listed the pilots of the Asian Air tragedy as Captain Sum Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Ho Lee *** and Bang Ding Ow for broadcast, has been released by the FAA. The young intern has been identified as Hugh G. Rection, a member of the I Felta Thi fraternity at nearby I.P. Daly College. It is not known whether charges will be filed.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 07-13-2013 at 11:37 PM.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    TV NEWS PRANKSTER IDENTIFIED

CNN, San Francisco. The name of the TV news prankster who listed the pilots of the Asian Air tragedy as Captain Sum Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Ho Lee *** and Bang Ding Ow for broadcast, has been released by the FAA. The young intern has been identified as Hugh G. Rection, a member of the I Felta Thi fraternity at nearby I.P. Daly College. It is not known whether charges will be filed.
    Plank Owner

We live in a world where Twitter is thought of as a news source and half of all "news" shows are just two people arguing. Why not expect pranks such as this to happen.

It is a pretty damning commentary on the competency required to be a newscaster (i.e., none).

Quote Originally Posted by seattleguitarstore View Post
    We live in a world where Twitter is thought of as a news source...
    And people get their "facts" from Wikipedia.
    One Life

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    I've always suspected that newscasters mindlessly read whatever's in front of them with no comprehension. There's one on a Dayton, OH station who routinely refers to the "Ohio Center Mall", as if it's a center mall (what's a center mall?), rather than accenting it as "Ohio Center Mall". A subtle difference, but a stressed syllable in the wrong place can change the entire meaning of a sentence. But you'd think anyone with half a brain would catch the tacky attempt at humor in their script and do a little self-editing--but I guess they're not paid to think...
    Last edited by jfine; 07-14-2013 at 03:11 AM.

In that woman's defense, she probably didn't have time to review the information before she was shown the teleprompter on live TV. Instead of stopping on live TV and asking "Is this a joke", she rolled with it and read what she was given. She was screwed either way. The bigger issue, as I see it, is how all of these news channels are so eager to "break" the news, that they are willing to repeat unconfirmed info.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    HAhahaha! How did she get past saying Ho Lee *** without knowing she'd been had?! Damn, I'm so glad I'm alive sometimes.
    People, people... ...they were Korean, right? And Lee is only the most popular last name in Korea, as in 60% of all Koreans, right? (OK, so I exaggerate... ...a little bit) And they put the family name first.

So: it would have to be Lee Ho ***.

Can't believe nobody caught that.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsleyd View Post
    People, people... ...they were Korean, right? And Lee is only the most popular last name in Korea, as in 60% of all Koreans, right? (OK, so I exaggerate... ...a little bit) And they put the family name first.

So: it would have to be Lee Ho ***.

Can't believe nobody caught that.
    Isn't that where you can get a big dish of beef chow mein?

I wouldn't expect the on-air "talent" to catch this - the Ron Burgundy thing was meant to be a joke, but I suspect it's far more reality than it should be. You can hear newsreaders stumble over lines that they've clearly not seen or read beforehand. What I would expect is the people putting together and reviewing the scripts to see this and say come on.

That said, people are very trusting. When I first got engaged, I was living in Virginia, and I went to the local paper to put in an announcement. Since I really didn't know anyone except a few co-workers, and my wife wasn't living down there, I decided to see how much I could get away with. Turns out it was a lot. I think the only accurate think about my wife was her name. The closest I came to blowing it was when I said she graduation from the University of Burma (Burma? I panicked.). The woman laughed and said, "Burma?" I said, "I have no idea why..." They ran everything the way I said it.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    Isn't that where you can get a big dish of beef chow mein?

I wouldn't expect the on-air "talent" to catch this - the Ron Burgundy thing was meant to be a joke, but I suspect it's far more reality than it should be. You can hear newsreaders stumble over lines that they've clearly not seen or read beforehand. What I would expect is the people putting together and reviewing the scripts to see this and say come on.

That said, people are very trusting. When I first got engaged, I was living in Virginia, and I went to the local paper to put in an announcement. Since I really didn't know anyone except a few co-workers, and my wife wasn't living down there, I decided to see how much I could get away with. Turns out it was a lot. I think the only accurate think about my wife was her name. The closest I came to blowing it was when I said she graduation from the University of Burma (Burma? I panicked.). The woman laughed and said, "Burma?" I said, "I have no idea why..." They ran everything the way I said it.
    For an added touch, you should have said she was the granddaughter of Rudyard Kipling.

PS - Kingsley, his hair was perfect

I just read that the airline is suing the TV station for discrediting the airlines reputation with that report. Yah it was the news report that is damaging your reputation not the CRASH right? haha
    2012 SE Custom 24

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    And people get their "facts" from Wikipedia.
    I'm always on Wikipedia. It's easily one of my favorite things ever.

How else am I gonna learn about true Beliebing???
    Plank Owner