Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My 408 stays in tune great

The tuners also play a big role in this. I used to have the first year SE Paul Allender that kept being out of tune until I changed the tuners.

My Paul's Guitar and 408 also getting out of tune a bit after an hour of playing, but in Thailand it is quite humid so that may be the cause (not sure though).

The best "in tune" guitar that I have is Musicman JP6. I could play for hours with extensive trem and it only require slight adjustment (nothing is perfect for me).
    Paul's Guitar in Copper, 408MT Brazilian Neck in Black Gold
    Musicman JP6 full option in Mystic Dream, Gibson Explorer with EMG 81-85 in Black

My dgt stays in tune and rarely have to tune it. I just picked up a Gibson LPJ and while its a good guitar, doesn't hold tune like a prs.

I think Paul looks at everything . From the wood to tuners, angles and he listens to his customers. This is what sets any prs apart from all, the attention to detail and the continues improvement .

This is why we all love an MD PRSi, the tuning system is phenomenal. My new Mira arrived yesterday in tune from the supplier having been shipped and presumably man handled a bit along the line.

There's a reason PRS deserve to charge what they do for their instruments unlike some manufacturers.
    '12 Mira Green Burst - '09 Cu24 Charcoal Burst - '09 SC250 Dark Cherry Burst - Taylor 514CE - Ibanez SR300 Bass - Mesa MkV Head & 1x12 Cab

I'll pretty much echo what most have said - my PRSi stay in tune unbelievably longer than anything else I've ever had. I recently ditched all my Gibsons - I'd have to tune them up each time I picked one up, just got used to it and assumed it was "normal".

Now, I'm amazed at my PRS guitars. My new Paul's Guitar is the latest to amaze me with it's tuning stability, but really they all just stay in tune! The intonation is spot on too which is something that I always had to adjust immediately after buying a Gibson - whoever sets those things up in the GIbson factory must be an idiot! Of course, Gibson's "Plek-cut" nuts are notorious for being lousy - never saw one that doesn't "ping" when tuning unless worked on after the fact...none of my PRSi do that. I think the PRS tuners and nuts play a huge roll in the tuning stability.
    Paul's Guitar - Charcoal || DGT Std. - Frost Blue Metallic ||DGT 10 Top - Yellow Tiger || DGT Artist - Faded Blue Jean Tobacco Burst || C.A.D. Custom 50 2-Channel - Slate || 2x12 Pine Cabinet - Charcoal

By the Gibson nut pinging, you mean a sound when you turn the peg?
    My SG does that on the skinny E string sometimes, it sounds like it might break.

The 408 never emits that sound.

Corey,

Yes - it's just the string getting stuck in the nut, then releasing..."PING!" Obviously if the string gets stuck in the nut, tuning stability is going to suffer.

An easy enough fix if you know your way around a nut with a file, but annoying nonetheless. 6 PRS guitars in my stable and none do it or ever have! I used to use a combo of chapstick and graphite mixture in the nut slots on my Gibsons...nice to not have to do anything to my PRSi and everything is great!
    Paul's Guitar - Charcoal || DGT Std. - Frost Blue Metallic ||DGT 10 Top - Yellow Tiger || DGT Artist - Faded Blue Jean Tobacco Burst || C.A.D. Custom 50 2-Channel - Slate || 2x12 Pine Cabinet - Charcoal

Ahhh, I see.
    You know the SGs come stock with 10 - 46 Gibson strings, but I had GC put on 9 - 42 Titanium Slinkies.
    Wanted Cobalts, but they were out at the time.
    You would think the smaller E string would not bind, it would have been really bad had I kept the 10s on it.

My PRS dealer though did do a whole setup on it when I had the Planet Wave Autotrims put on it, I guess he overlooked the nut?
    I guess he should have caught that and filed it.
    I do have some Nut Sauce, maybe I will drizzle a little on there.

I have noticed my cu24 being in tune several times while getting ready to gig. My LP wont stay in tune very well and that tends to tick me off, we are talking about an expensive guitar too.

My trem doesn't always stay in tune, although it does work very well most of the time I still avoid bottoming out the trem for that reason. Somebody on here suggested chapstick on string slots so that's what I do, seems to help. Nothing is as stable as a floyd.

Anybody ever try locking tuners instead of locking nut with a floyd?

Interesting thing happened this past weekend.
    I had not played my SE Santana since getting my 408 May 24th or so.

The Gibson SG had to be re tuned a few times this weekend, but when I took the Santana out of the case, it was still in perfect tune as when I had put it away.
    Played it during the weekend, and when I went to put it away Sunday, it was still in perfect tune.

I have a SE Singlecut (the only guitar i have), and the first time i got this guitar in my hands..... WOW. What a guitar!
    Itīs just great to play in a show and only worry about tuning it once, before the show starts, no matter if playing rythm all the way or soloing around with huge bends, it STAYS IN TUNE. And iīm talking about an SE. One day iīll be a USA PRS owner... lol...

Well, IMHO itīs the whole thing that makes it possible to stay in tune so well, i mean: bridge, nut, headstock angle and of course, great PRS tuners.
    Same happens with TONE, itīs not ALL about the pickups... but i let this to another thread....
    Last edited by Julio; 07-23-2013 at 03:19 PM.

I've never met a Gibson that stayed in tune. My LP is terrible. The stock Gibson tuners are a crappy gear ratio (I think it's like 14:1 or something), which makes any kind of "fine-tuning" adjustment really difficult to pull off. Cant' wait until I get my 408 so I can see for myself the glory of this "plays for hours and stays in tune" thing that y'all keep raving about. :-)
    Heh...check it out. Under my name, it says "member".

OK, when I got home from work Thursday I got out the Gibson SG and my 408.
    Put the SG on the tuner, and it needed to be tuned, even after putting it away the prior Sunday tuned perfectly with my Polytuner.
    The 408 I never checked.

I played both guitars off and on this weekend taking them both outside in the nice weather, and playing inside.
    Just put the SG away, and the first picture below shows its state of tune, all flat with the exception of the G string, strange how it stayed in tune.
    So this probably means the neck is bowing forward a bit to loosen the strings?
    If the SG was sharp, that would be the neck bowing backwards?
    This could be from the weather, as the inside of my place too was around 82° yesterday afternoon, and now it is around 73° as it is much cooler out today.
    First cooler day we have had in awhile, as we have had weather in the 80s here this past week.

I checked the 408 too around an hour ago when I shot these two pictures, and you can see the 408 is in perfect tune, the same as it was when I put it away last Sunday.
    Amazing, as I have used the tremolo bar, had it outside, played it inside with varying inside temperatures, and it remains in tune.
    So I am guessing the neck does not bow either way with weather changes like the SG is doing.

So on the SG when it is cooler in my place the neck is bowing forward (flat) and when it is much hotter out, the neck bows backwards (sharp)?
    I still like the SG though, it is totally different than the PRS having a much longer neck, and it is fun playing both of them, as they are as far apart as night and day in the way they feel, with the 408 being much better of course, so much more comfortable and easier to play.

My PRS's also seem to hold their tuning very well. I love picking up a guitar and it's in tune and ready to rock.

Love the PolyTune also. Can't live without mine.
    Plank Owner

PRS guitars have spoiled me now, and the tuning stability is a big reason (but far from the only reason!) that I have since sold or traded all other guitars I owned. Gibsons gone. Fender gone.

The only guitar I kept that isn't a PRS is my Jalapeņo Super Strat which is a killer guitar, but wouldn't bring what it's worth to sell because it's a "parts" guitar...Warmoth Mahogany body with maple top, Warmoth Birdseye maple neck with ebony board, Seymour Duncan pickups, Bourns pots, Switchcraft switches, etc. the thing is a beast - only "Strat" I've ever come across that weights about as much as a Les Paul, 9.3 lbs!

You would think that tuning stability would be near the top of a manufacturer's priority list when building a guitar, but it is shocking how poorly some guitars stay in tune (every Gibson I've owned!)

Granted, a person needs to know how to properly set up a guitar, and after I did a good setup on my Les Paul's, they stayed in tune better than stock, but still nothing near a PRS without doing anything to it!

I'm relatively new to the PRS world, but I wouldn't be surprised if I never buy another new guitar that's not a PRS now.

Gibson uses some of the most shockingly bad hardware I've ever seen. I've never owned one (of about 10 or so) that didn't require replacement parts to make it usable. Have you ever seen the "banjo" tuners on a Firebird!?!?! Complete crap!! The poor quality tuners, nuts and bridges on all of their models keeps many companies in business (Sperzel, Tone Pros...etc). Fortunately they provide great experience for students of guitar repair. An equivantly priced PRS will outclass any Gibson in every way.
    For as long as we may think as we will and speak as we
    think, the condition of man will proceed in improvement.
    Thomas Jefferson

Bump to an old thread.
    This past weekend I had the 408 and Gibson SG out.
    We have had very cold temps this past weekend and this week, it was around 16° outside, and around 68 to 70° in my home.

The Gibson kept going flat on me, so the neck was probably bowing forward from the colder weather.
    Had to use my new Polytune a few times on it.

The 408 was tuned perfectly still from when I cased it from the Sunday before, and when I put it away this past Sunday, it was still in perfect pitch.
    Simply amazing, this probably shows that the SGs neck wood is not as dry as the PRS.

The 408 is downright the best guitar I have ever owned and played.

So, lose the SG and get yourself a Mira!
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    So, lose the SG and get yourself a Mira!
    Gotta keep the SG, it was my first nice guitar I bought after taking a thirty year break from playing.
    Plus it is iconic, one of my favorite guitarists is Angus Young, and it is pretty much the same one that he uses.
    But the PRSi get most of the play time.

A neck adjustment would have more to do with the action rather than staying in tune.

My environment ranges from bone-dry (CO) to 100+% humidity (WA, very often), and from 60-80 degrees F. I will do a little obsessive tuning, watching every little pulse of the needle... and then forget it until I can hear a string a few cents off. My PRS guitars are a very little bit more stable than my other (all Floyd Rose-equipped) guitars; the PRS machines have the Phase II tuners and a PRS trem and a piezo "wraparound" bridge with Phase IIIs. I have never, in perhaps 25 years of playing guitar, had to adjust a truss rod because of improper relief; they must all be fairly good guitars at least in that respect (the one made by Saehan is surprisingly good; it can sustain for 45 seconds or more all on its own (better than the PRS guitars I own), and its tuning stability is almost the equal of my PRS instruments).

Come to think of it, though, I had one set of strings on one guitar for 25 years, except for one which broke in the first year (I just changed them... and that same string broke!). Those strings were awesome; they no longer make them as well. Still, it points to me being pretty averse to adjusting anything. -Except knobs and switches.
    Last edited by Felix; 03-29-2014 at 12:00 PM.