Thread: Need gear gift idea for a hipster musician...

Need gear gift idea for a hipster musician...

The other guitarist in my band and a good buddy of mine is getting married next month, and I'd like to give him a piece of gear he'll enjoy. Guess that means I'll also have to gift something his fiancee will enjoy, but I can handle that, they already have most of what they need for their apartment and so on. He's really into vintage/rare stuff - not 59 LP's and old Plexi's, more like the pawn shop treasures you've never heard of. So I'm looking for something in the sub-$100 range, maybe an old pedal or something. Hoping someone here will have memories of a cool older piece of gear, or something they've seen recently, any ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

All hipsters need a melodica.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    All hipsters need a melodica.
    And a hipster beanie. Maybe Hans can help you find one.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    And a hipster beanie. Maybe Hans can help you find one.
    They're standard issue for hipsters. Just tell the guy to declare his loyalty to the hipster movement via some largely accepted social media outlet (facebook or twitter will do) and the hipster fairy will promptly show up wearing super-tight pants (that are too short) while riding his fixy. Once his black frame glasses and impeccably styled bangs are confirmed, the hipster beanie will be issued (and deodorant confiscated). He will then be free to exercise his individuality - by looking, acting, speaking, and thinking like every other hipster.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! © View Post
    They're standard issue for hipsters. Just tell the guy to declare his loyalty to the hipster movement via some largely accepted social media outlet (facebook or twitter will do) and the hipster fairy will promptly show up wearing super-tight pants (that are too short) while riding his fixy. Once his black frame glasses and impeccably styled bangs are confirmed, the hipster beanie will be issued (and deodorant confiscated). He will then be free to exercise his individuality - by looking, acting, speaking, and thinking like every other hipster.
    You good sir, win the internet today......
    '12 Mira Green Burst - '09 Cu24 Charcoal Burst - '09 SC250 Dark Cherry Burst - Taylor 514CE - Ibanez SR300 Bass - Mesa MkV Head & 1x12 Cab

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! © View Post
    Haha, well done Hans. Well done. He does indeed have a fixy and tight pants! Got a good laugh out of me.

But seriously, anyone have any pawn shop gems to suggest?
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

You have a tough problem here. Anything that anyone knows about that becomes popular is no longer "deck". At that point it is "midtown" and not worth the "kale". You're better off going to the pawn store and buying the 1st thing you've never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    You have a tough problem here. Anything that anyone knows about that becomes popular is no longer "deck". At that point it is "midtown" and not worth the "kale". You're better off going to the pawn store and buying the 1st thing you've never heard of.
    Hahaha truth. He's not that bad, but that's hilarious. We're in Boston so I see plenty of those hipsters. He did buy a pretty bitchin 70's Guild bass recently. I'd never seen one like it before, surprise surprise!

- Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

I got it! Get him an old school curly guitar cable. Although I haven't seen one in years, I'm sure you could find one on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    I got it! Get him an old school curly guitar cable. Although I haven't seen one in years, I'm sure you could find one on ebay.
    Naw, Vox now makes them (my 65 year old dad is rocking one with his Blue Crab Blue Studio). That means they are too well known.

Get him a slide for his guitar and a harmonica with a holder. I figure that's kinda hipsterish. Or maybe a Ukulele.

DGT Club Vice President
    Some kind of mustache tonic.

mgd

DGTs

ironic socks?

Tons of pedals to choose from so I'm going a bit outside your scope.

Check OMGPosters for a print. Cheap way to get original art.
    Plank Owner

Ebow! An Ebow + Delay = hipsters dream.

Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

One of these would be original and fun!

That is just so wrong. And still funny as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by ezkahuna View Post

One of these would be original and fun!
    One Life

cafepress.com has some unique stuff...it's not gear, but they have a ton of music-related things from art to clothing to just plain "stuff".
    Too many and never enough...

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    Ebow! An Ebow + Delay = hipsters dream.

you can't go wrong with an eBow.