Thread: 57/08 in single coil mode?

57/08 in single coil mode?

Is there a PRS model with the 57/08 pick-ups available in single coil mode through the coil-tap option? I'm trying to figure out how close a tapped 57/08 pick-up would come to the sound of an actual single coil p/u since it's now possible to have the coil-tap option added. Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

Just check out Chris' (crgtr) "Great American Pickup Shootout Part 1" on YouTube. Sorry on my phone so hard to post a link

Go get a Custom 22 semi-hollow Ltd - your search is over.

yes, yes there is. PS 4412!

Any guitar with 57/08s and McCarty wiring will have coil splitting. To be totally frank, I've never played ANY tapped humbucker that sounds like a real singlecoil. (I'm STILL waiting for my Brazilian 408...) But it's a very usable tone. And let's be honest. Nobody in a bar is going to notice.

I will say that I do dearly love my 57/08s.

Quote Originally Posted by P90s View Post
    Is there a PRS model with the 57/08 pick-ups available in single coil mode through the coil-tap option? I'm trying to figure out how close a tapped 57/08 pick-up would come to the sound of an actual single coil p/u since it's now possible to have the coil-tap option added. Thanks in advance for any input or advice.
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

I've got 57/08s in a Mira, with a single switch to tap both pickups, and in my SC HB Std, with separate push/pulls to tap either/both. I like the, tapped, but they are never going to sound just like a (insert type of) single coil. They do open up the mids, while dropping the output a bit. I really like my SC HB with the neck tapped and the bridge full, or visa versa. It adds air and even a little woody-ness to the sound.

With all that said, I'm much pickier over my humbucker sounds, and use the single coil sounds to pull back a bit. I like them, but again, they aren't like any particular single coil.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.