Thread: Anyone find the 305 bridge pickup a little thin?

Anyone find the 305 bridge pickup a little thin?

Just comparing the one on mine to the neck and middle, which sound lush. I used to have an EJ strat, and it seems like I remember the bridge pup on that guitar having a bit more midrange and growl to it. The 305 sounds really good in position 2, but on the rear pickup alone it seems like it just doesn't have that much oomph to it. Thoughts?

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    Try raising it up a bit. That's a problem I've had for years with Strats, my present one excepted, but a lot of them can sound thin and shrill on the bridge pickup. The only 305 I've tried sounded great in all positions, and if I didn't already have my 21-year-old Custom Shop Strat, I'd have bought a 305. Pickup height is really crucial on Strats, maybe on 305's too--but the 305 I tried sounded at least as good as my Strat. I do have a Brent Mason Signature, and I can get some good Strat-like tones out of it, as well as good humbucker tones that I can't get out of the Strat.

Ditto to what jfine said. My 305 sounds awesome in all positions. Definitely a pickup height issue.

I found lowering the neck and mid pickup and raising the bridge really helped the balance between the pickups.
    I have always liked the neck and mid pickups in anything single coil better anyway
    PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII
    Others LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

It takes time....but I agree with what the other said...spend some time with a screwdriver and you will get the right balance...when set right the bridge is bright and biting when the volume and tone knobs are on ten....roll it back and the vintage vibe starts to ooze out.
    -Bob

Thanks. The guitar has such a huge sonic range, from buttery to biting, that it's taking me while to really get the tones balanced and consistent.