Thread: Coil splitting a Singlecut Hollowbody II

Cool Coil splitting a Singlecut Hollowbody II

Had a customer who wanted to coil split his 57/08 equipped SC HBII. He originally wanted to replace the tone control with a push/pull, but that won't work due to space limitations inside. Here's my solution after tapping each pickup ...

John Mann

John Mann's Guitar Vault - www.GuitarVaultUSA.com
    MannMade USA - www.MannMadeUSA.com

Very cool idea and execution! I like that solution.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Wouldn't that be a lot of pressure on that switch inside the case? I've had those things disintegrate just tightening the nut down too tight.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Very clever!

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    Wouldn't that be a lot of pressure on that switch inside the case? I've had those things disintegrate just tightening the nut down too tight.
    The case could be easily modded to have a space in the padding for the switch. Would only take a few minutes.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I used a PRS factory switch that is used in the MIRA. Rugged and well made. That was a concern as well, but it seems to fit nicely in the PRS case, which has lots of side padding. Also no issues sitting in a K&M stand.

I really like the idea and execution. Just curious as to why push/pulls wouldn't work with the guitar. I've got an SC HB Std and PTC installed separate push/pulls to tap the 57/08s. Does the SC HB II have less clearance than my Standard?

The network I'm on is blocking photobucket, so I'll post pics of mine later.

Again, not critiquing the work, because I happen to really like the way you pulled this off (and I'm not a huge fan of push/pulls).