Thread: Trade: Sc SE for MiM Tele

Trade: Sc SE for MiM Tele

I know what the general consensus will be, but I'm asking any way...

I have been offered a trade for my 2008 Singlecut SE (stock, ex cond). A blem free 2010 MIM Fender Tele (upgraded pickups - coil tapped mini-hums, graphite nut, roller tree, strap locks). I sold my Tele American Special to fund my CE22, and I kinda miss it. My Sc SE is seeing no love in the case since I got my CE and Santana SE. Value wise, I think its about even.

Opinions?
    Joe ... They say having a dark side will lead to no good... I certainly hope so!
    PRS: 07 CE-22; 03 Santana SE; 12 Tremonti SE || Ovation: 06 Elite-T 1868T; 79 Glen Campbell Artist 1627; 95 Balladeer 1751 || Fender: 69 Mustang Comp; 91 Strat Plus; 11 Tele Std || Gibson: 11 Les Paul Studio 60s Deluxe || Martin: 12 GPCPA4 RW || Epiphone: 12 ES339 Pro || Bradley: 77 Les Paul Custom || Squier: 99 Precision Bass

I have a nice MIA Tele - Tele's are great guitars but....
    Mine hangs on the wall since my P22 showed up. I'd keep the SC...

If you go ask on TPDRI you'll get a different answer!
    If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!

If it didn't have mini-hums...maybe. If you miss your Tele enough I would suggest puttin' a lipstick pup in the neck of your CE, I know a guy who did and really likes it.

Tapable mini hums doesn't sound too appealing to me. If it were a single coil model I think it would be worth adding to the arsenal, based on what's listed in your sig.
    --Garrett--

if it ain't getting love, do the guitar a favour and trade it! no point leaving it in the case if you're not going to play it. Let it float around, maybe the new owner will love it a lot! That said, the mini-hums might not be to everyone's taste, be sure to check it out before trading.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    If it didn't have mini-hums...maybe. If you miss your Tele enough I would suggest puttin' a lipstick pup in the neck of your CE, I know a guy who did and really likes it.
    Just did it Yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    Just did it Yesterday!

Lookin' good!

Cool pup. How's it sound with that guitar?
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    Just did it Yesterday!

YES!

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Lookin' good!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Cool pup. How's it sound with that guitar?
    Man, I would say it sounds UNIQUE. .. but if i had to compare with another guitar, id say it sounds like a 60s mahogany tele (i dont know if theres a mahogany 60s but, ok..) but with the amazing PRS feel. The pup is a Fender Vintage Noiseless and its a little bit darker than the original noisy ones wich is perfect to match the bridge humbucker... but its a small difference, its all about pickup height to get the perfect tone.. sounds warm, touch sensitive, and overdriven is as quiet as the humbucker... ill record some samples soon to share with you guys!

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    Julio--there were mahogany-bodied Teles in the '60's. Not very many--they date to around '63-'66. I've never actually seen one in person, but they were in the catalog for a few years. They were mentioned as having a "red-mahogany" finish, and the ones shown in catalogs definitely had a reddish tint to them. Maybe Fender was trying to attract SG players? With rosewood boards--I don't think they go back as early as the maple-board era--they'd have to be warmer-sounding than an alder or ash Tele.

Quote Originally Posted by jfine View Post
    Julio--there were mahogany-bodied Teles in the '60's. Not very many--they date to around '63-'66. I've never actually seen one in person, but they were in the catalog for a few years. They were mentioned as having a "red-mahogany" finish, and the ones shown in catalogs definitely had a reddish tint to them. Maybe Fender was trying to attract SG players? With rosewood boards--I don't think they go back as early as the maple-board era--they'd have to be warmer-sounding than an alder or ash Tele.
    Thanks for the info!
    Looks like there is a line separating 2 worlds: If you want to go thin an maple/ash, go Fender. If you want fatness and mahogany, go Gibson. Politics inside the guitar world... lol... Now, If you want the 'in between' and perfect guitars, go PRS!

The single in at the neck looks interesting in a PRS, but I like my Dragon IIs in my CE22.

Well, I made the trade. This Tele is dead mint. I was worried about the sound of the mini-hums (GFS Li'l Punchers - Modern version). These pups are nice and loud. It sounds great, very Tele like, just smoother/warmer at the neck, clear and strong at the bridge... and no noise. The coil tap works great, brings out that Tele bite, just need to up the volume a bit. I like it. I do need to flip the control plate when I get the chance to vol/tone/switch. I just seems the way it should be.

Last edited by auriemma; 07-29-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    Joe ... They say having a dark side will lead to no good... I certainly hope so!
    PRS: 07 CE-22; 03 Santana SE; 12 Tremonti SE || Ovation: 06 Elite-T 1868T; 79 Glen Campbell Artist 1627; 95 Balladeer 1751 || Fender: 69 Mustang Comp; 91 Strat Plus; 11 Tele Std || Gibson: 11 Les Paul Studio 60s Deluxe || Martin: 12 GPCPA4 RW || Epiphone: 12 ES339 Pro || Bradley: 77 Les Paul Custom || Squier: 99 Precision Bass

Sounds like its pretty cool tonal variation. Certainly off the path a bit. I dig it.
    Plank Owner

looks pretty similar to a bruce springsteen tele haha i love black teles, it keeps things simple and classy. hmm...i'd be tempted to switch out the single-coil sized humbuckers, but that's a very personal thing. It looks pretty tricked out already, i guess there's nothing much you need to change to make it play great! i'd "flip" the control plate as well if i had one, makes the volume knob more usable for me, at least in a tight situation.. so is this counted as a NGD?

edit: maybe not here but in the tele forums?