Thread: Just Thinking Out Loud (McCarty II)

Just Thinking Out Loud (McCarty II)

Hey Everyone,

Well, I've had it a couple of months now, playing it passive without batteries, and am wondering if it could be re-wired to work without ever needing batteries by removing the PCB, substituting a conventional tone control for the blender, and using the mini-toggle as a coil tap. Would that configuration even be possible? Also, I'm pretty handy with a soldering gun, but would it be virtual brain surgery? Other than the battery issue, I really like the guitar. It sounds absolutely great in passive mode.

Many Thanks,
    prsatlast

Quote Originally Posted by prsatlast View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Well, I've had it a couple of months now, playing it passive without batteries, and am wondering if it could be re-wired to work without ever needing batteries by removing the PCB, substituting a conventional tone control for the blender, and using the mini-toggle as a coil tap. Would that configuration even be possible? Also, I'm pretty handy with a soldering gun, but would it be virtual brain surgery? Other than the battery issue, I really like the guitar. It sounds absolutely great in passive mode.

Many Thanks,
    prsatlast
    I posed as a brain surgeon for several years. It was actually very simple! The trick is having a very sharp scalpel, and not dropping it on the floor.

But I'm posing as a rocket scientist now. I found out that the sight of blood gave me nightmares.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

This is exactly what I did with a McCarty II. I replaced the entire wiring harness so I could keep the original innerds as intact as possible. I ended up selling it with DGT pickups installed and the original parts along with a wiring schematic.
    Signature Limited, Artist III, 305 Prototype, P22, Custom 22, McCarty 2010 Experience, McCarty NF, Hollowbody w/piezo, Studio, Custom 22 Soapbar, Special; Brent Mason; 2-Channel H 20w combo (6V6)