Thread: Just Thinking Out Loud (McCarty II)

Just Thinking Out Loud (McCarty II)

Hey Everyone,

Well, I've had it a couple of months now, playing it passive without batteries, and am wondering if it could be re-wired to work without ever needing batteries by removing the PCB, substituting a conventional tone control for the blender, and using the mini-toggle as a coil tap. Would that configuration even be possible? Also, I'm pretty handy with a soldering gun, but would it be virtual brain surgery? Other than the battery issue, I really like the guitar. It sounds absolutely great in passive mode.

Many Thanks,
    prsatlast

Quote Originally Posted by prsatlast View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Well, I've had it a couple of months now, playing it passive without batteries, and am wondering if it could be re-wired to work without ever needing batteries by removing the PCB, substituting a conventional tone control for the blender, and using the mini-toggle as a coil tap. Would that configuration even be possible? Also, I'm pretty handy with a soldering gun, but would it be virtual brain surgery? Other than the battery issue, I really like the guitar. It sounds absolutely great in passive mode.

Many Thanks,
    prsatlast
    I posed as a brain surgeon for several years. It was actually very simple! The trick is having a very sharp scalpel, and not dropping it on the floor.

But I'm posing as a rocket scientist now. I found out that the sight of blood gave me nightmares.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

This is exactly what I did with a McCarty II. I replaced the entire wiring harness so I could keep the original innerds as intact as possible. I ended up selling it with DGT pickups installed and the original parts along with a wiring schematic.
    Signature Limited, Artist III, 305 Prototype, P22, Custom 22, McCarty 2010 Experience, McCarty NF, Hollowbody w/piezo, Studio, Custom 22 Soapbar, Special; Brent Mason; 2-Channel H 20w combo (6V6)