Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Pizza, man!!

Let's talk about Pizza, man!!

I like pizza. It's probably the only thing I eat every week. Friday night is pizza night.

What's your favorite pizza?

Also, this is a great invention:

The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

I am partial to "Pizza King", but I like pretty much all Pizza!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

The French have some 'interesting' ideas about pizza, however, locally they do a white pizza, with creme fraiche spread on it and the regional speciality is bits of duck and prunes. Sounds weird but works. Equally good with bacon bits, onions, mushrooms and sliced potato.

I have my own combination that I happen to love:

Pepperoni
    Canadian Bacon
    Beef/hamburger (optional)
    Bacon
    Mushrooms
    Green peppers (optional)
    Jalapenos
    Pineapple
    Extra cheese

No thin crust b.s., you go hand-tossed or pan or GTFO. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes.

Out of the national chains, I personally like Pizza Hut best. Double Dave's is good too.

I like a New York style pizza, as well, but I live in Texas, and not many places do that here.

Jimano's is the home of not only my favorite pizza, but also my favorite ribs.
    Plank Owner

What a great idea on that box.

I'll eat almost any pizza, and I don't have any one style that I prefer. It usually comes down to what I am in the mood for or how much I want to spend (I gotta admit that Little Caeser's and CiCi's Pizza are both pretty good for the price).

If I want to get exotic, I'll go by Shakespeare's Pizza when I'm back in Columbia, MO. Around here, we have a place called Mellow Mushroom, and they have a pie called the "Hey, Dude." It has buffalo chicken, bacon, and jalapeno peppers and a drizzling of ranch dressing. It is amazing!

One I saw on Food Network that I would like to try was peanut butter and jelly. It sounds strange, but I like warm peanut butter on toast, so it can't be far from that.
    Too many and never enough...

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Jimano's is the home of not only my favorite pizza, but also my favorite ribs.
    Have you ever tried Pointer's Pizza? I had never heard of them when in Missouri, but I saw something about them on Food Network after we moved. (Apparently I watch too much Food Network!) They had one of those eating challenges...two people, an hour, and a pizza I swear was three-feet in diameter.
    Too many and never enough...

Quote Originally Posted by cwhenke View Post
    Have you ever tried Pointer's Pizza? I had never heard of them when in Missouri, but I saw something about them on Food Network after we moved. (Apparently I watch too much Food Network!) They had one of those eating challenges...two people, an hour, and a pizza I swear was three-feet in diameter.
    That's really close to Eddie's Guitars. I'll have to check it out after Experience and my final weigh in.
    Plank Owner

Rockos in Annapolis is the BOMB!!!
    PRS Guitars Endorsee....White and Relic'd Ones !

Nunzio's in cleveland!

So...I am a Pizza Snob....sorry in advance.....I am a New Yorker....one from Westchester...I went to Fordham University in the Bronx...Arthur Ave. is right there....so back in the day I was one very spoiled college kid....

These days there are a few pie's I am partial to although I must confess Northern Westchester pizza which is where I live now can't compete with the Pizza 30 minutes south of us....Roma's in Tuckahoe is probably the best thin crust on the planet...I typically get a garlic pie and an order of clams oreganata...I dump the clams on the pizza....Rawks....amazingly good. There is a chain locally called Anthony's coal fired pizza which is amazing....normally do eggplant and prosciutto de Parma....lets see what else....the world famous Frank Pepe from Connecticut opened up a restaurant in Yonkers which is just like the CT location quality wise...on Cape Cod I like Joey's Pizza in Dennis....really good pie...I rate it up there with some of the best I've ever had.

Dirty Tokes and fan club introduced me to Pizza King in Munchie....weird combos that worked surprisingly well....dug the BBq sauce and Ham!!!....this was outside of my normal definition of Pizza....but it was REALLY REALLY good and I stuffed myself.

I also remember getting ridiculously good pizza in the north end in Boston...it was on par with Bronx pies.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 08-05-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    ....the world famous Frank Pepe from Connecticut opened up a restaurant in Yonkers which is just like the CT location quality wise...
    Pepes has been opening new locations all over the place. Pretty good Pizza. BUT, Sally's Apizza on Wooster St. in New Haven, CT is the best pizza on the planet in my opinion. Plain with garlic, MM!

One of the guys I work with is originally from Hamden....I'll ask him about it tomorrow....I'm going to trust you....but eventually I'll have to take a trip to verify...I'm sure I can convince him to be my guide....one of these days I'm also gonna have to swing up to your shop and say hello.
    -Bob

Another New Yorker here of Italian descent.
    Some great places around but none compares to mom's homemade pizza especially with dad's garden fresh tomatoes and hot peppers they jar themselves.
    The texture of the crust and the flavors can't be beat.

I refuse to even listen to anybody's opinion about pizza that isn't from Chicago.

Green Chili Pizza with chicken and a thin, oven baked (new york style) crust. Heaven.
    One Life

There are a number of STL food items that I consider the best around but our pizza is super thin crust and not my favorite. I shouldn't be able to by a large one topping pizza for $3. It is that thin!

I give it up for Gooey Louie, Fitz, and Switzer and anyone cooking up a mad flavored pork steak. Those are proper STL fixings.
    Plank Owner

Bastids........................................... ......... I'm fugg'in hungry now
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Green Chili Pizza with chicken and a thin, oven baked (new york style) crust. Heaven.
    .....this sounds awesome!!!
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I refuse to even listen to anybody's opinion about pizza that isn't from Chicago.
    I like Chicago style pizza as well....different though from what I'm used too....but awesome nonetheless...

I think NY pizza rocks because of our water....another breaded product....Bagels are really good here as well...I believe for the same reason....but who knows....the crusts just have the right amount of give, texture and crunch...I hate a Chewy crust!!!

A lot of variation in NY...a real Brooklyn Pizza is nothing like what you would get in the Bronx...my favorite Pizza at 4:00AM was University pizza on Fordham road....slices were as big as your head.....went down perfectly and used to absorb all of the alcohol still swirling around in our stomachs....although Giovanni's, Pugsley's, and Full Moon were up there as well......dammit now I'm hungry too.

now I'm thinking of a Pepe's pizza with white clam sauce.... (And I'm Referring to real clam sauce ....all of you sicko's)

im gonna go raid the fridge now.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 08-05-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    -Bob