Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Pizza, man!!

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    I am partial to "Pizza King", but I like pretty much all Pizza!
    Pizza King was awesome when we were at North Webster!

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    I am partial to "Pizza King", but I like pretty much all Pizza!
    Next time! The weight loss thread has me locked down.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I refuse to even listen to anybody's opinion about pizza that isn't from Chicago.
    The one time I played a show in Chicago (at the Double Door in 2005) we had like 8 hours to kill between when we got to the venue and when we had to play. But we were on foot, having flown in on a redeye and taken the blue train to the venue. This being before smartphones, we went out wandering the streets to try to find some of this Chicago pizza we'd heard about. The only thing we could find was a New York style place! It was good and they had good beer, so we were happy.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

What's my favorite pizza?

Also a New Yorker... I travel quite a bit and I also don't mean to sound snobbish but I have never had pizza outside of the greater NYC metropolitan area that I could really call pizza (except for Chicago...they do it right also). Lots of local great pizzerias around... a few that come to mind... Grimaldi's, Totino's, Lombardi's, John's of Bleeker Street, Rosa's in Huntington... if you are ever in the NYC area, make it a point to visit one of these places. I would never call pizza chains good pizza...they are not authentic. Real Italian tomato sauce, mozzarella and proper pizza dough are the starting points....not commercial garbage. Again sorry to sound like a snob but I get very emotional when I talk about Pizza, it's close to my heart (actually I've had to see a cardiologist about it being close to my heart )

As for the video....What only one slice each?
    Frank Bello
    PRS CUSTOM 24
    http://frankbello56.blogspot.com/

Three for me:

- Mineo's for Sicilian pizza. Wonderful. Lots of sauce, toppings under the cheese when you order a whole pizza. I can only eat two slices at a sitting now.

- Primanti's, believe it or not (it's known as a sandwich place). Their pizza is great - thin crust, lots of toppings, more of a chunky sauce.

- Vincent's. Tons of toppings in the olds days. Enough grease to support a large battalion for several months. They were closed due to a legal dispute and recently reopened - we've gone once and it wasn't quite the same, but for now I'm chalking it up to everything being new. So the jury is still out.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

It is hard to argue against Pizza King, but I can't rate them best until I have it again.

Big Kahuna from Ultimate California Pizza in Surfside Beach is the one I look most forward to.
    I've had some really good pizza in Chicago, but it has been long enough since I've had it I can't make a specific recommendation.

I refuse to even listen to anybody's opinion about pizza that isn't from Chicago.
    I am partial to Lou Malnati's Butter Crust and Sausage patty , Genos East , Unos work also for Chicago Pizza sorry Sergio its got to have the sausage patty )
    Thin is a Place called Ach and Lous in Aurora or Rossatis
    PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII
    Others Knaggs Kenai, LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Rider1260 View Post
    I am partial to Lou Malnati's Butter Crust and Sausage patty , Genos East , Unos work also for Chicago Pizza sorry Sergio its got to have the sausage patty )
    Thin is a Place called Ach and Lous in Aurora or Rossatis
    Lou's is pretty darn good. Rossatis has some alright thin crust, but have you tried their Panzarotti?.. Amaze-balls! Pizza Capri is pretty bangin' for deep-dish, but my all time fave for thin in Chicagoland is Barnaby's.... I'll get one from the Northbrook location and it's practically gone before I get on 294.

After the last weigh in I want pizza. I'll have to review this thread for MD location if I'm not full on Ram's Head.
    Plank Owner

I'm with DirtyMoonRJT - I'm a pizza snob. I fully admit it and I am aware of it every time that I eat pizza. Are there support groups for that kind of thing? If so, I may need to find one, because I'm ruined to most garden variety pizzas. Maybe this is a good place to start:

Hi. My name is Damien and I am a pizza snob. It started eight years ago in the city of Split on the coast of Croatia. There was this little shop that made their own mozzarella and sauces, using fresh basil, garlic, and oregano out of their garden out back. I knew from that moment that I would never look at pizza the same. From that moment on, it has been a world-wide journey to find a pizza and in that 8 years, I've had slices of NY's finest and Chicago's offerings... but nothing would come close. Until this year...

Via Napoli... Via Napoli in the Epcot Center in Walt Disney World. I cried. It was beautiful. I ate my pizza and half of my wife's... You'd have thought I hadn't eaten in a year. If you ever have the opportunity... take it... go twice...

Since that is almost 1000 miles away, I've sated my pizza snobbery in making pizza at home, taking what my novice palette has learned from each experience and augmenting each technique into my own amalgamation. The result has been a 2 inch deep-dish, buttery crust with crispy pepperoni (think spicy bacon), and a secret blend of herbs and spices...

There is a place locally (Eau Claire, WI) that isn't bad - called Fired Up. Wood burning ovens. Personal fav: 5-cheese blend + bleu cheese, classic tomato sauce, pepperoni, prosciutto, basil ... Nom Nom.

Pizza King gets a nod as well. They're not the best pizza, but it's kind of like your first guitar.... you know that it wasn't amazing, but you have a found emotional connection that makes you smile. Pizza King's kind of like that.

I'm Damien and I'm a recovering pizza snob. Thanks for listening...

Quote Originally Posted by PastorDame View Post
    Via Napoli... Via Napoli in the Epcot Center in Walt Disney World. I cried. It was beautiful. I ate my pizza and half of my wife's... You'd have thought I hadn't eaten in a year. If you ever have the opportunity... take it... go twice...
    Our family went to Disneyland a few weeks ago and I thought the food was pretty decent, especially for a theme park, but I never would have expected to hear someone shed tears over their pizza! If you're ever in Phoenix, try Pizzeria Bianco. From Wikipedia:

Pizzeria Bianco has been rated as the best pizza in the US by Bon Appétit,[15] Vogue,[4] and Rachel Ray,[16] and has also been recognized by Martha Stewart,[2] Oprah,[9] GQ,[17] Gourmet[11] and was named to GAYOT.com's list of the Top 10 Pizza Restaurants in the U.S.[18] Chef Chris Bianco won James Beard Foundation Best Chef: Southwest for 2003 (the only pizza chef to have won a regional award)[19] and the restaurant received a nearly perfect Zagat score of 29 in 2000.[4] Pizzeria Bianco was featured in Peter Reinhart's book American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza.[10]Andrew Zimmern has stated that the best pizza ever is from Pizzeria Bianco.[20][21]
    After all the hype my wife and I went to try it one night. It was a Saturday and we got there at 7:00 pm. There was a 3 hour wait (they don't take reservations). Luckily the pizzeria is two blocks from where the Diamondbacks play and there was a game that night, so we went and bought $6 nosebleed seats and drank $9 beers and watched the baseball game while we waited. They encourage you to leave and call back to check on your table, and sure enough, three hours to the minute our table was ready.

It was good pizza. Not good enough that we've ever decided to wait 3 hours for it again, but it was very, very good. The crust, sauce and cheese are all made in house, and every topping individually tasted fantastic.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Hahaha! Trip Advisor just put up their top 10 cities for pizza. Chicago's not even on the list!!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/PressCent..._Releases.html

Shakespeare's Pizza, Columbia, Missouri. I can't drive down I-70 without getting a slice or 10.

Also, would almost go to Chicago just to get Giordano's.
    Last edited by nocluejimbo; 08-08-2013 at 03:07 PM.
    Paul Reed Smith DGT - Goldtop [STOLEN]
    PRS Mira - Natural Korina - Fralin P-92s
    Taylor GS Mini - Mahogany Top
    Bad Cat Hot Cat - 30 Watt 1x12 Combo

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    Hahaha! Trip Advisor just put up their top 10 cities for pizza. Chicago's not even on the list!!

Good! Keeps the riff-raff away.

Good! Keeps the riff-raff away.
    No. I'm still going to get back out there one day.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post

Interesting to note that for City # 1 (San Diego) it states that "The pizza was just as good as being home in New York." Yet NY is ranked 4th, go figure.
    Frank Bello
    PRS CUSTOM 24
    http://frankbello56.blogspot.com/

For those around Frederick, Maryland, there was a place my wife and I used to go with the brick oven and all that, around the antique places...awesome pizza...it's been a while, but they definitely had great tasting pizzas, fresh ingredients...can't remember the name.

Quote Originally Posted by nocluejimbo View Post
    Shakespeare's Pizza, Columbia, Missouri. I can't drive down I-70 without getting a slice or 10.

I'll give this a go next time I'm in Columbia, MO.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by nocluejimbo View Post

Don't get me wrong, Shake's is good, but I gotta admit that it isn't the best pizza I have ever eaten. It's the uniqueness and ambiance (and beer) that makes it worth the time. We mix up the toppings, but we always go with the pepper-jack cheese, which is so smooth and really brings the pizza to life.

If you're just passing through CoMo, they have the west location that opened about ten years ago that is easier to get to and has less waiting.
    Last edited by cwhenke; 08-08-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    Too many and never enough...

Mountain View Italian Kitchen, http://www.mountainviewitaliankitchen.com/

When I lived in Blacksburg VA, this was the best pizza there was. Sure, you had to drive a very long way down a two lane road in the middle of nowhere. If you dined in, you sat on an outdoor picnic table, indoors, with polished concrete floors and bare white cinder block walls lit with bright fluorescent lighting. But it was really good.