Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I guess I need to buy an amp for my PRS guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Dude, you know I'm all about the white!.. but it's a head. While looks are at least 50% of what's really important, I would be rockin' a red Soldano astroverb 2X12 if I didn't have some specific needs.
    You need a Soldano SLO-100 snakeskin like mine!!!!

You could probably pick up a used astroverb 1x12 for 800$ if that's what you like. You've again confirmed your impeccable taste to me. I've had over 30 amps over the last 10 years...still have several but the Soldano has always been "the one".
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    Maybe a picture would help?
    Oh and if you're going to go... go big! 100 watt with the 4x12.

Yeah dude. These things slay.

Sergio, you might dig a small Orange head. The OR15 is really good to my ears. I also liked the Jim Root Terror quite a bit.
    Plank Owner

Fender hot rod or blues deluxe.Perhaps an old Roland Jazz Chorus would fit your needs just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Sinner View Post

Not sure if you were completely joking around or not
    I'm actually so serious that no matter what, I've got a Mustang III coming to me in a trade over the weekend. I haven't really heard anything but good stuff about these amps and I was very happy with my Cyber-Deluxe until it got damaged by handlers and went all janky on me. If it's even 10% better than the deluxe (and not broken) I'll be pretty psyched. I feel a two new amp week coming on.

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    I'm actually so serious that no matter what, I've got a Mustang III coming to me in a trade over the weekend. I haven't really heard anything but good stuff about these amps and I was very happy with my Cyber-Deluxe until it got damaged by handlers and went all janky on me. If it's even 10% better than the deluxe (and not broken) I'll be pretty psyched. I feel a two new amp week coming on.
    Nice!
    You'll have to sign up for a Fuse account and we can share some presets. I've built a few that I am pretty impressed with if I do say so myself.
    My bud Jason has a Cyber Deluxe and he picked up a Mustang after trying out mine and has since retired the Deluxe..

Good to hear! I'll totally hit you up once I install Fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Ha! I had a TOL 50, and it's a great amp, too. Forgot all about those. Bruce was actually affiliated with Rocktron for a time, and most of the TOL50s were made here in Michigan by that company, though some were made before his affiliation with Rocktron.

In either case, the TOL50 is a very nice amp; gets loud, but sounds pretty good at low volume, too. I did find it best cranked, but that's the way I tend to think.

Bruce is a good guy, from my area, in fact, was my former law partner's cousin. He's quite the amp designer, and has been one of the better designers out there for a long time.
    Wow! That's awesome you had a TOL50. Mine has been my main amp for 14 years! Hard to believe.

You play a HXDA now, right?
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    Wow! That's awesome you had a TOL50. Mine has been my main amp for 14 years! Hard to believe.

You play a HXDA now, right?
    Yup. I had a TOL50 1 x 12 combo, black tolex, very nice amp. At the time I had about 6-7 amps in my studio, and sold a few to buy my first Two-Rock; that's the only reason I sold the TOL50.

You'd love the HXDA if you dig the TOL.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Yeah, so I bought that H&K amp. Swapped the Eminence speaker for a Celestion and got some new tubes, did a few other things as well.... Glad that's over, I can go back to wanting to buy guitars again, which I find much more fulfilling.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Yeah, so I bought that H&K amp. Swapped the Eminence speaker for a Celestion and got some new tubes, did a few other things as well.... Glad that's over, I can go back to wanting to buy guitars again, which I find much more fulfilling.

To quote this cool cat I know...

!¡!¡BANGIN'!¡!¡

Great job Sergio. Your D.I.Y. bad assery skills are legendary.

Thank guys! I'm diggin' it. You metal players should check one of these out for a practice amp, the gain is crazy on this little thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Great job Sergio. Your D.I.Y. bad assery skills are legendary.
    Thanks buddy, it looks a little wonky in the lower right corner though... Let's hope girls don't notice.
    Last edited by sergiodeblanc; 08-21-2013 at 07:45 PM. Reason: whatreyoulookinat?

Fantastic.
    Plank Owner

Bangin' combo.
    I might be in love.

Very cool, Serg!
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Nice! How does it sound?

I LIKE THE BLACKSTAR,ONE FOR SOUND,TWO FOR PRICE. I THINK THE PRICE IS A GOOD DEAL.BUT SOUND IS IN THE EAR OF THE BEHOLDER....... GOOD LUCK TO YA.
    CUSTOM 24 BLUE CRAB FOG,CUSTOM 24 FLAME ORANGE,2012 DAVE NAVARRO,2011 TREMONTI, LINE 6 AMP 15 WATT,BLACKSTAR HT5RW X2/BLACKSTAR HT5MR/METAL AMP..Marshall dsl 15.prs coffee mug.prs Guitar picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    Maybe a picture would help?
    Oh and if you're going to go... go big! 100 watt with the 4x12.

NOW WERE TALKING.LOVE THAT EVH AMP.
    CUSTOM 24 BLUE CRAB FOG,CUSTOM 24 FLAME ORANGE,2012 DAVE NAVARRO,2011 TREMONTI, LINE 6 AMP 15 WATT,BLACKSTAR HT5RW X2/BLACKSTAR HT5MR/METAL AMP..Marshall dsl 15.prs coffee mug.prs Guitar picks.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
    Nice! How does it sound?
    Like an amp.

It's actually pretty nice, the lead channel is super "modern" sounding with a butt load of gain on hand, the clean channel is what sold me on it though. If you turn it up past 5 it starts to break up in a pleasant way and the reverb is really nice for a small pan, well actually there is no pan! When I opened it up to "Guccify" it I noticed the reverb springs are just kinda suspended in mid-air hanging right inside the amp! The knobs are really responsive, you can't make broad strokes with 'em, the smallest of movement changes the character of the amp instantly, and the bottom end from this little amp is BIG! but in a tight kinda' way. I didn't buy it for this, but I will say that this would be an excellent recording amp for modern metal tones on the cheap!

Congrats! Bangin' job on the grill cloth! That was the toughest part of the cab I built. There's got to be an easier way!

Glad to hear you like the H&K. I only played one for a brief period and at too low of a volume. It sounded a little sterile to me, but almost everything does down low. I'm glad to hear it's got a little growl to it. What speaker did you go with?