Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Bitchin' is the Swamp Ash Special?

Hybrid View

How Bitchin' is the Swamp Ash Special?

I'd love to hear what owners of this guitar have to say about it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I'd love to hear what owners of this guitar have to say about it.
    I have a 25th anniversary SAS. Fabulous guitar. Can be as clean as you need and dirties up real nasty.
    When I was gigging regularly, I used the SAS and a Studio as my goto guitars. About 60/40 for the SAS.
    The cool thing is that either one would have served me well as my only guitar.
    Can't say enough good things about it.

there are a couple of demos that I know about ...

go to Guitarist Mag web site and search "PRS SAS" and there is a review and video of the 25th.
    google "Davey Knowles SAS demo" and it will bring up one he did for PRS.

SASs rule Serg!!!

Totally bitchin'.
    Mine is the early edition from the 90s. It was my travel guitar for about 10 years. It has lots of variation from the 3 pickups, and I always really like the Seymour Duncan rail. A simple basic guitar that can do most anything.
    This is the day I got it - a gift from my wife:

Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    Totally bitchin'.
    Mine is the early edition from the 90s. It was my travel guitar for about 10 years. It has lots of variation from the 3 pickups, and I always really like the Seymour Duncan rail. A simple basic guitar that can do most anything.
    This is the day I got it - a gift from my wife:
    Have mercy that neck is flamed to hell and back! Looking good Pete.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Have mercy that neck is flamed to hell and back! Looking good Pete.
    It is an awesome neck, especially on a relatively low priced PRS. It is usually in the US, but I'll bring it home if you want to try it when you come up.

It is an awesome neck, especially on a relatively low priced PRS. It is usually in the US, but I'll bring it home if you want to try it when you come up.
    All good. I am certain there's plenty to keep me occupied up north.
    Plank Owner

Rockin shorts like these, I think I may now understand where you get your handle from!
    Last edited by Kine; 08-24-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kine View Post
    Rockin shorts like these, I think I may now understand where you get your handle from!
    Man...I would absolutely love to know what you had before your edit, Kine...LOL

I've got a 2001 in Whitewash with an adjustable wrap tail, but I am selling it...got dentist bills!

I posted it over on VR.

Wonder why we don't have a Sale section here? Too much trouble maybe?

Anyways, the SAS is a cool guitar for sure but I have to let one go and it gets the least playtime as any of mine.
    Paul's Guitar - Charcoal || DGT Std. - Frost Blue Metallic ||DGT 10 Top - Yellow Tiger || DGT Artist - Faded Blue Jean Tobacco Burst || C.A.D. Custom 50 2-Channel - Slate || 2x12 Pine Cabinet - Charcoal

Maybe because PRS is in the business of selling NEW guitars?

Quote Originally Posted by mapleleaf14 View Post
    Wonder why we don't have a Sale section here? Too much trouble maybe?
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Hey Sergio, you already know how I felt about the McCarty neck pup with that combination. I felt like I could cop Knopfler's thicker tones perfectly. I'm also just a big fan of good swamp ash. And I know you like bolt-ons.

It's an awesome guitar and very versatile.

Sergio,

When you come out to Colorado, I'll hand you my SAS with uncovered 53/10's (plugged into the "64 Twin).

The tone in tight, punchy, and clear as a bell. When the neck pup is split, Nile Rodgers at my fingertips. When the gain is cranked and I'm on full treble bucker, Angus Young.

Beyond the tonal considerations, it is one of the most comfortable and well-balanced PRS guitars I've ever owned. The full, round, neck carve is perfect for me.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by WishICouldPlay View Post
    Can be as clean as you need and dirties up real nasty.
    Exactly what I was hoping.

Totally bitchin'.
    You look great in spandex... Just in case nobody tells you that enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mapleleaf14 View Post
    I've got a 2001 in Whitewash with an adjustable wrap tail, but I am selling it...got dentist bills!

I posted it over on VR.
    Stayed up late lookin' at yours, if it was a trem model you'd be shipping it to me today! Wanna trade? I have a Dremel tool and some whip-its, dentistry doesn't look that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    And I know you like bolt-ons.
    I totally prefer bolt-ons. That's the only thing that keeps me from wanting a 305.

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Sergio,

When you come out to Colorado, I'll hand you my SAS with uncovered 53/10's (plugged into the "64 Twin).

The tone in tight, punchy, and clear as a bell. When the neck pup is split, Nile Rodgers at my fingertips. When the gain is cranked and I'm on full treble bucker, Angus Young.

Beyond the tonal considerations, it is one of the most comfortable and well-balanced PRS guitars I've ever owned. The full, round, neck carve is perfect for me.
    Word! The whole W/F thing scared me off before the PTC re-carved my CE neck. There is a NF model (in blue!) available locally for $1150 but it has a rosewood fretboard. If I were not so unsure about the NF's (and the fact that I've really come to love McCarty pups) I'd be doing another "Dimebag" thread... I guess I'll just have to be patient.

Never owned one, but I am a big fan of swamp ash body guitars. They just got it all.
    I wish PRS could offer more options with this wood.

It's been on my lust list for a very long time, but I've never played one.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

The SAS is a great guitar, does things really well, captures those in-between tones so it can quack, and it's light and all-around wonderful.

Highly recommended.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I hate to be the bad seed in this thread. No one is a bigger PRS fan than I am, and I have only played ONE SAS, but to look at, it was stunning. Flame maple neck, see through blond finish, birds...a real looker! Plugging in however, I could not find a single tone that moved me. It sounded like every other F style on steroids guitar out there. Lots of guys love them, but I would try before buying for sure. One of only 3-4 PRS guitars that I flat out did not like, and I have played a LOT of PRS guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Tag View Post
    I hate to be the bad seed in this thread. No one is a bigger PRS fan than I am, and I have only played ONE SAS, but to look at, it was stunning. Flame maple neck, see through blond finish, birds...a real looker! Plugging in however, I could not find a single tone that moved me. It sounded like every other F style on steroids guitar out there. Lots of guys love them, but I would try before buying for sure. One of only 3-4 PRS guitars that I flat out did not like, and I have played a LOT of PRS guitars.
    I can't see an SAS working with your style in any case, Tag, it's truly meant for someone who plays different music than you do.

I see the SAS for someone who plays the funkier stuff, C&W, Alt. Rock, etc.

Not surprised you found it wasn't for you. But that doesn't mean it's not great for someone else.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    I can't see an SAS working with your style in any case, Tag, it's truly meant for someone who plays different music than you do.

I see the SAS for someone who plays the funkier stuff, C&W, Alt. Rock, etc.

Not surprised you found it wasn't for you. But that doesn't mean it's not great for someone else.

I totally agree Les, and this thread shows how many guys love them! However, because its right for you or them, does not mean it will be right for the OP either. Thats why I posted my opposing findings. I really could have come at it from the wrong angle as well. I was looking for a great strat style guitar. I ended up buying a strat. The SAS just ended up in no mans land for me, in that gray area between a G and F, with nothing of its own to my ear. So many PRSs have something totally unique going on, I just did not find that in the SAS. I just think if at all possible, like always, he should try it for himself. And yes, it could be the perfect guitar for him! (I would like to try at least one more myself. Maybe it was just that particular guitar. One is not an awful large sample to draw conclusions from!)