Thread: Paul and a 305 or dc3?

Paul and a 305 or dc3?

I was without binoc's at the experience, so can someone please tell me what was paul playing for the intro to "machine gun", a dc3 or a 305? also, besides a diff scale length, what are the main differance's, in sound and feel between the two?

I'm pretty sure it was a DC3. I haven't played either so I can't help with the differences.

I wouldn't imagine a massive difference in sound, they're the same body/neck wood, same neck carve, same steel block trem, same pickups etc. The main differences (apart from scale length - 1/4" longer on 305) are set neck vs bolt on, carved vs flat and the bridge PU is angled on the 305.

Having a DC3 does allow for easier pickup changes tho...

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    I've played them both, based on advice from Paul (this was before the Brent Mason model came out). To my ear, the DC3 is a little more Tele-like in the bridge position, and the bridge pickup on the 305 is a little more Strat-like, but they're pretty close to each other, especially on the neck and middle pickups. I preferred the DC3, but I'd have been happy with a 305 too--they're both really nice guitars. So which one did I wind up with? I had to wait a few months to get my finances together, and I got a Brent Mason--but if you don't need the humbucker sounds, either a DC3 or a 305 will do you just fine. Actually, if I had an extra $2K laying around (I don't!), I'd replace my 20-year-old Custom Shop Strat with a 305.

I've played both, and loved both. But there was a lot of time in-between, so it would be hard to pick out those nuances that really make each one unique. They are VERY close in tone though. I would say go with what "feels" right to you. Do you want something that looks and feels like a PRS, or if you're a longtime Fender player, something that looks and feels like a Strat? Where do you feel more at home?

With that being said, I'm *this close* to pulling the trigger on a 305.

thank's fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by hoofarted View Post
    I've played both, and loved both. But there was a lot of time in-between, so it would be hard to pick out those nuances that really make each one unique. They are VERY close in tone though. I would say go with what "feels" right to you. Do you want something that looks and feels like a PRS, or if you're a longtime Fender player, something that looks and feels like a Strat? Where do you feel more at home?

With that being said, I'm *this close* to pulling the trigger on a 305.

Do it! You won't be sorry!
    -Bob