Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miley Cirus and the VMA's.

Miley Cirus and the VMA's.

Why is this any bigger deal than any other award show where people act a fool? Seems like the net is all about Miley right now. Isn't that what she wanted?
    One Life

I don't see any problem with Miley. I don't think she looked like she really "owned" the whole sexiness thing but I applaud her effort and thought her hair was great.... Plus it's awesome that my middle-aged-white-NPR-nine-to-fiver girlfriends have learned the word twerk. Three FB posts today on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Why is this any bigger deal than any other award show where people act a fool? Seems like the net is all about Miley right now. Isn't that what she wanted?
    Thank you! Not a big Miley fan, and I didn't think the song was particularly good. But I thought the hand-wringing and wailing and gnashing of teeth and rending of garments was all a bit over the top.

I actually read and heard a lot of discussion before I saw any video, and finally watched the full performance tonight, and my reaction was "Really?" I saw one writer who went on about how poor Mrs. Thicke must feel and how displeased she must be - and when I saw the tape, my thought was, "That doesn't look like the rape I saw described". Nothing that happened during that was a surprise - all totally rehearsed.

Even the frigging controversies on MTV aren't real...
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I don't see any problem with Miley. I don't think she looked like she really "owned" the whole sexiness thing but I applaud her effort and thought her hair was great.... Plus it's awesome that my middle-aged-white-NPR-nine-to-fiver girlfriends have learned the word twerk. Three FB posts today on the subject.
    Ok, I'll bite. What the hell is a twerk?
    One Life

I thought the same thing.....everyone made such a big deal about it....I saw it...pretty damn smart of them...good buzz about it....served its purpose....didn't think it was good but it did what it was intended to do....for me overall it was a big.
    -Bob

The rhythmic gyrating of the lower fleshy extremities in a lascivious manner with the intent to elicit sexual arousal or laughter in ones intended audiences....

taken directly from urban dictionary.

He he he
    -Bob

Ok, I'll bite. What the hell is a twerk?
    It's a booty slappin' dance... I'd post a link of what is supposed to look like but...

It's a booty slappin' dance... I'd post a link of what is supposed to look like but...
    Butt what?

(See what I did there?)
    One Life

Again....He he he
    -Bob

Never mind. I found the instructional video.

One Life

Butt what?

(See what I did there?)
    PM'd

PM'd
    My monkey says "thank you".

One Life

I thought it was more on the side of dumb than inappropriate. I don't "get it"; but that seems to apply to most everything everybody is doing on that stage. Not many guitars up there. Miley garnered more press than Gaga; and next year we will be reminded and teased about last year's outragous whatever. The most surprising moment: Kanye didn't/barely showed his face on national TV. And Robin Thicke dressed like BeetleJuice. I'm getting old.

Well, for me the cool thing was that 30 Seconds to Mars won "Best Rock Video."

Because my son recorded and mixed it.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

As has been said, the whole thing was rehearsed and the "outrage" planned. I don't see what the big dang deal is. MTV has been a bad joke for many years, my kids don't even watch it. I don't care for Ms. Cyrus' music but...

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    Well, what do you expect from the girl whose dad turned country music into disco...

Quote Originally Posted by jfine View Post
    Well, what do you expect from the girl whose dad turned country music into disco...
    C'mon now... It's not fair to drag disco into this.

After hearing all of the news shows yesterday morning talking about Miley's performance on the show, I thought 'man, what did she do?!?'. Then when they started showing clips, I didn't see what the big deal was. I thought it was goofy, hanging her tongue out and dancing around with a bunch of people wearing giant bear heads or whatever they were, but I didn't see what was supposed to be so scandalous. (I've already discussed her new hairdo in another thread, but that's beside the point.)

I did think Miley was capable of better, more meaningful music than that 'we goan to da club cuz we gots to... gimme a whut whut' junk, but if that's the way she wants to take her career that's her choice. It's probably just a phase - she is just a kid after all - and I don't have to listen to it if I don't like it.

Times change... I remember when Madonna shocked some people by rolling around on the stage in a wedding gown. And wayyy before that was KISS, Alice Cooper, Elvis' hips, and on and on.

Lloyd
    Last edited by Goldtop; 08-27-2013 at 06:01 AM.
    'And the answer is... none. None more Gold.'

Never mind. I found the instructional video.

Hehe

To the Windowwwwwwwwwwwww
    To the wall

Hans, down load Get Low by Lil John...... It bestows the virtues of tweaking and associated movements!!

I didn't know MTV was still around before yesterday, let alone the VMAs.....