Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So how many guitars are too many? When do you have enough?

Wait - you can SELL guitars after you buy them? Seriously???

What's too many? Only when you say it's too many. I have more than I need, but not more than I use. I really have no overlap - I have some that are somewhat similar sounding, but no duplicates. My focus has been more on having something that will grab a different tone than what I currently have. I had to make a second hour-long drive when I bought my AV because I wanted to make sure I wasn't tricking myself into thinking that it sounded different from everything else.

Are there some that get played more than others? Absolutely - my 408 is my current #1, and my DGT, AV and Petrucci get the bulk of the general playing time after that. Other than times when I'm using a specific guitar for something in particular (like the current recording I'm doing w/the 7-string).

Will I buy more? Oh yeah....
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

This is about enough:

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic_ape View Post
    This is about enough:

Not nearly enough!!!! Needs at least a few PRSi in that photo.
    Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
    Jimi Hendrix

Ultimately it comes down to a simple calculus--

You have enough when you think you have enough, and you have too many when you think that you have too many.

It's a subjective determination that only the player (or collector, as the case may be) can make.

Then, too, a person's needs change from time to time. I once did a series of ads for a GM division that called for a roots-rock Americana kind of sound, and the client wanted to hear a Rick. So I bought a Rick. After the project was over, it hung around and I never used it, so I moved it on. But while I had it, that Rick was a very important part of my arsenal.

Is there such a thing as a Guitarsenal?
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I'm still stuck at simple calculus...I even hear the word and my brain freezes.

Just buy more guitars!
    Plank Owner

This is about enough:

That just became my FB cover photo.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Ultimately it comes down to a simple calculus--

You have enough when you think you have enough, and you have too many when you think that you have too many.
    That's kind of what I said!

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Is there such a thing as a Guitarsenal?
    There is now! File those trademark forms first thing in the morning!
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

I can honestly say that besides the Coral electric sitar, I don't want any of those guitars.... weird, huh?

Ironic topic, two years ago I acquired the second largest bedroom in my house to convert into my "studio". This extra square footage combined with the empty nest and end of 17 years of child support led to an explosion in the guitar related population. I have always had 12-15 guitars, mostly Jackson's, Charvels, Strats and Dean. That same Xmas my wonderful wife, after years of me showing her eBay photos of my holy grail of guitars, the Custom 24 quilted 10-top in faded blue burst, surprised me with one. Two years later while rearranging the studio I decided it was prudent to take inventory and get insured because my collection had grown in size and value. I knew I'd been failing in my 30 year battle with G.A.S. since my daughter moved out but was shocked to find I had acquired 72 guitars, 5 amps, 2 programmable pedal boards and at least 30 pedals. From that first PRS two years prior I had added 23 Maryland made and 3 Korean PRSi. Add that to 7 Gibsons and a whole rack of new Charvel, Jackson and Fender Strats. Yup, I was outa control.

Over the last 5-6 months I've been selling, trading and occasionally buying guitars and my goal is to trade quantity for quality. I'm down to 40 guitars as of today and will continue to purge unnecessary duplicates and any non-sentimental guitars from my inventory. I honestly don't know what the correct number of guitars is, I doubt I'll ever stop rotating inventory because I get so much pleasure from the chase....
    '11 SC250,'12 Tremonti one-off, 2007/13 McCarty Korina,'11 Custom24 Quilted 10Top,'12 DGT w/BK Miracle Man pups,'12 Studio w/BK Cold Sweat,'07/13 Navarro w/BK Cold Sweat pups,'12 NF3, EVH 5150 Half stack, Randall Half Stack, Hughs & Kettner TubeMeister, other fiddles; Mayones, Suhr, Skervesen, Gibson, Fender, Charvel, Jackson, ESP, Dean, EVH, Taylor, GJ2, Ibanez, Carvin, Kramer, Agile & Spawn

Q: How may guitars do you want?
    A: n+1

When my wife starts counting guitar cases, I know it's time to think about selling a few. She's very understanding, though. The most I ever had at one time was 35 (only 29 of them were PRSi). This was a little over a year ago. I've slimmed the herd down a bit since then, often selling 3 or 4 at a time in order to acquire a more expensive/collectible one. Works for me.
    I usually take 6 or 7 to gigs. My guitar cart can't hold more than 7 at a time without cases sliding all over the place. So I really only *need* that many.

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    The wife and I keep our money separate so she has no issue with my guitars so long as I'm paying my half of the bills. That said, you have my answer.

I'm Jesse...and I'm a guitar-a-holic...
    My wife and I do the same thing. Like you, as long as I pay my half of the bills, I am free to do what I want (as far as gear that is)

I have a very simple approach to it which is probably a bit boring. I think about the music I like, who plays it and what they play. I have a couple of Strats, a Parker that covers all of my Tele needs and my CE22 and Mira X that covers my twin 'bucker needs. If and when it is possible there is always room for more exotica but my partner and daughter have a far more serious horse (equine!) habit and I like to keep things 'balanced'.
    Last edited by RichardJ; 08-31-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Didn't read right!

Damn...you folks are true addicts...umm I mean inspirers

Quote Originally Posted by Boss View Post
    Damn...you folks are true addicts...umm I mean inspirers
    Uh, excuse me - we have worked hard enough at this to earn our ENABLER titles!
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    Oh, we talk the talk, all right.

But I see no significant commitment to enabling, other than some cheerleading. PRS Forum guitar? Pffft.

How about a PRS Forum Credit Line? Or PRS forum private stock gift cards?

T
    hen
    you'd be into some serious enabling.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

You know you have a problem when you start doing the math to figure out if you can squeeze another guitar on the wall

I have a problem
    PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII
    Others LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Rider1260 View Post
    You know you have a problem when you start doing the math to figure out if you can squeeze another guitar on the wall

I have a problem
    Keep the rest in cases. Problem solved.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Rider1260 View Post

I have a problem
    Buy a new wall perhaps? Or even, utilize said wall and hang them above and below each other maybe, yes?

Is this considered enabling or does it need to be directly involving GAS to be worthy of the title?

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    Yes I can see that, enabling indeed, you guys give me gas, every time.