Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time for new shoes

DGT Club Vice President
    The toe shoes creep me out. As an ingrown sufferer, I wouldn't wear anything that encroaches on the nailbeds. Someone else on here SHOULD appreciate that....

mgd

DGTs

DGT Club Vice President
    I am a Vibram believer. All my Danners have Vibram soles.

mgd

DGTs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Duncan View Post
    The toe shoes creep me out. As an ingrown sufferer, I wouldn't wear anything that encroaches on the nailbeds. Someone else on here SHOULD appreciate that....
    Sorry to hear that - foot problems can really make your day bad.

For the VFF shoes you DO have to keep your toenails trimmed. If you let them get too long, the shoes press on the nails and can make them quite sore. Learned that the hard way...
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

DGT Club Vice President
    Oh no...it's not a nail length thing, it's the sides. So much pain. Had surgery last year just before the Experience and it took until last June to heal. Where's the foot Dr? He could chime in on these shoes.

mgd

DGTs

Yeah, I figured that. It is common for ingrown sufferers to have to trim their nails (both width and length) more carefully than non-sufferers. I was just saying that since you are starting off with a compromise in the nail area due to the ingrown problems, the toe shoes might be bad all around...

It is too bad they won't work for you and others, they are by far the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. I forget I have them on.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon

I've actually wore a hole in the toes of my FF Komodo Sports. I recently picked up a pair of Skora running shoes to give my Komodo's a break.

Every time I see someone in those minimalist shoes, I wonder: Do they make your feet stink? I hate wearing shoes without socks for that reason.
    --Garrett--

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Every time I see someone in those minimalist shoes, I wonder: Do they make your feet stink? I hate wearing shoes without socks for that reason.
    THAT is an excellent question, sir!

It all depend on how much your feet sweat. The shoes are machine washable, air dry. Depending on the weather, I can get a week or more out of a pair before there is any odor at all. Once the give even a whiff, I put them in the wash. Hence the need for more than one pair.

Most of the Vibram brand offerings also use odor-fighting materials in their construction.

Lastly, since ther is less on your feet, less than even just wearing a pair of athletic socks, your feet don't overheat nearly as easily. The shoes are thin, thin, thin and super breathable.

Wearing regular shoes without socks is like sealing your feet in a sauna without a towel - guaranteed to sweat even on a cold day. That's not the case with these.

I'm a champion perspirerer when overheated, but my feet have never been more comfortable.
    Last edited by rugerpc; 08-30-2013 at 07:41 AM.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Lexicon

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    Did not know that about Keen, I bought another pair not so long ago so will keep an eye on them.

I haven't got the stones to wear the VFFs 100% of the time, that and my work has always required me to wear safety shoes. Still waiting for a composite cap "barefoot" shoe...

Jesse - I have a mate that had very flat arches, that was until he started wearing and running in VFFs. Now his feet have nice arches! There's a school of thought that flat feet aren't genetic, that orthotics don't work, and all you need to do is move like we evolved for millions of years to, instead of putting our feet on weird platforms and cushions, which has only happened in the past 40-50 years or so. YMMV...
    Interesting. I'll do some reading. Thanks cuz.
    Plank Owner

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Eh... Steel Boots anyone?
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    Sorry to hear that - foot problems can really make your day bad.
    For some...
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Duncan View Post
    Oh no...it's not a nail length thing, it's the sides. So much pain. Had surgery last year just before the Experience and it took until last June to heal. Where's the foot Dr? He could chime in on these shoes.
    I love them!

I've had at least a dozen patients come in after wearing them...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    For some...

See what you guys went and made me do?

Just ordered a pair of minimalist shoes. I figure it's time to give my four-year-old pair of brown Skechers a rest. They've served me very well. I've worn them at least once or twice a week and done a lot of walking in them. I figure these Merrell casual shoes should be a nice intro to the minimalist thing, since I'll be doing more casual walking in them. If I like it, I'll transition my running shoes once my neutral Brooks wear out. I reckon I'll like it, since I had a pair of moccasin-type shoes a few years back and they were super comfortable.

Vibram sole, zero drop...

--Garrett--

DGT Club Vice President
    That's what I thought....the Finger Shoes pay for the Doc's guitars!

mgd

DGTs

When I'm not wearing these:

I'm wearing these:

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    For some...

Sh*tter's full

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    Don't knock 'em 'till ya try 'em!

Bet those are good for tree climbing.
    Sh*tter's full