Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 439

Thread: SE Mods

  1. #161
    Senior Member Chris528's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    726
    You can get the tusq nut for under $10. I'm having one and Phase II tuners that I'm putting only Custom 24. I'm getting them done as soon as I get some new pickups and rings.
    "BADASS MODDED" SE SEMI-HOLLOW W/BIGSBY
    SE ZACH MYERS, SE TREMONTI, SE20 COMBO

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by maxtuna26 View Post
    wow man, that's some great stuff and lots of work! did you refinish the front and side of the headstock only or the whole thing? If you've done the back as well, what happens to the neck colour? do you just spray the whole neck as well or keep the original colour? How much did you pay for the headstock decals?
    Thanks!
    I just refinished the face of the headstocks, not the sides or backside (or neck).
    If you look closely at the SE245, you can see the tortoishell color on the sides of the headstock.
    I actually like the "look" better than the Tremonti SE Custom, which is all black.

    Once it's cleared, wet sanded and buffed out, it all blends really nicely and looks like it came that way from the factory. The decals were a little pricey ... they were around $25ea., if I remember correctly.
    Worth it in the end, IMO.

  3. #163
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by dbonanno View Post
    Thanks!
    I just refinished the face of the headstocks, not the sides or backside (or neck).
    If you look closely at the SE245, you can see the tortoishell color on the sides of the headstock.
    I actually like the "look" better than the Tremonti SE Custom, which is all black.

    Once it's cleared, wet sanded and buffed out, it all blends really nicely and looks like it came that way from the factory. The decals were a little pricey ... they were around $25ea., if I remember correctly.
    Worth it in the end, IMO.
    $25 for the decals i see, i didnt notice the SE245's headstock, thanks for pointing out might want to try a natural coloured headstock one day, hmm...is the acrylic urethane you used same as the stock poly finish?

  4. #164
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    597
    I've been wanting a set of tuners for my SE Custom 24, but then there's virtually no one stocking on good tuners in my place. Gosh, some place i live in! (it's not UK nor USA) Hell, we don't even have TUSQ nuts here. Imagine that. Might have to go to another city to hunt for them :/ but then I can't just walk away from college.

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by maxtuna26 View Post
    $25 for the decals i see, i didnt notice the SE245's headstock, thanks for pointing out might want to try a natural coloured headstock one day, hmm...is the acrylic urethane you used same as the stock poly finish?
    To the best of my knowledge, the SE's are finished in the same acrylic urethane, not poly.

  6. #166
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by dbonanno View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, the SE's are finished in the same acrylic urethane, not poly.
    ohh i see, thanks man! New things to learn every day!

  7. #167
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    10
    Ok, I'm finally getting around to upgrading my SE245. I've already got pickups, electronics and a Tusq XL nut but am now looking for the following.

    TonePros locking posts (large head)
    PRS USA wraparound bridge
    Locking tuners
    PRS lampshade knobs (black w/ clear)

    Will the Schaller M6 locking tuners be a direct drop-in or must it be the mini's? Also, where can I get a reasonable deal on the PRS USA parts?
    If anyone has these parts to sell, drop me a line.

    Thanks

  8. #168
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Driffield. U.K
    Posts
    396
    Can you get the lampshade knobs anywhere else or just from prs. I think they are a bit pricey but would look a whole lot better than the speed knobs on my se245
    I am not a luthier but i am in my own workshop.
    https://www.facebook.com/driffguitar

  9. #169
    Member lgk1208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by carpincowboy View Post
    Can you get the lampshade knobs anywhere else or just from prs. I think they are a bit pricey but would look a whole lot better than the speed knobs on my se245
    Check E-bay thats where I got my knobs. some PRS dealers post listings on E-bay.
    2012 SE Custom 24

  10. #170
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by lgk1208 View Post
    Check E-bay thats where I got my knobs. some PRS dealers post listings on E-bay.
    I've looked there but just can't pay out $60 + shipping for four plastic knobs.

  11. #171
    Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warrington, Nr Liverpool UK
    Posts
    2,323
    Just remember to get knobs to fit metric pots if you're still have the original pots in.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

  12. #172
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Driffield. U.K
    Posts
    396
    they do these http://www.prsaccessories.com/collec...ampshade-style but they dont ship outside of the u.s. would love some of the american made style ones but at $30 a pair that is steep.

    just found a selley on fleabay selling 2 se lampshade knobs at$25. there only $2 each on the prs website.
    Last edited by carpincowboy; 04-23-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    I am not a luthier but i am in my own workshop.
    https://www.facebook.com/driffguitar

  13. #173
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    Just remember to get knobs to fit metric pots if you're still have the original pots in.
    I have a set of CTS 550K pots delivering today that will be replacing the stock Alphas.

  14. #174
    Member lgk1208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by mookyshoots View Post
    I've looked there but just can't pay out $60 + shipping for four plastic knobs.
    Yah, I paid $30 for two(same price as PRS store) but it was worth it to me. I put the amber USA lampshades on my SE CU24. I really like the look better than the stock ones.
    2012 SE Custom 24

  15. #175
    Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warrington, Nr Liverpool UK
    Posts
    2,323
    Quote Originally Posted by mookyshoots View Post
    I have a set of CTS 550K pots delivering today that will be replacing the stock Alphas.
    Nice. I got some 550k pots for my Bernie from Bare Knuckle Pickups. Good pots!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

  16. #176
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    Nice. I got some 550k pots for my Bernie from Bare Knuckle Pickups. Good pots!
    And there 's the rub about the cost of the knobs. I got four new 550K pots for $30.

  17. #177
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    6,358
    Quote Originally Posted by mookyshoots View Post
    And there 's the rub about the cost of the knobs. I got four new 550K pots for $30.
    Yeah, but those pots are not the sexiest thing that has ever happened to guitar knobs.... I lucked into my first set of lampshades, and they are worth every penny.

  18. #178
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Yeah, but those pots are not the sexiest thing that has ever happened to guitar knobs.... I lucked into my first set of lampshades, and they are worth every penny.
    Maybe I'll give in at some point. I'm prone to moments of weakness.

  19. #179
    Junior Member Victek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Yeah, but those pots are not the sexiest thing that has ever happened to guitar knobs.... I lucked into my first set of lampshades, and they are worth every penny.
    The lampshade knobs look nice, but is it just a style choice or do they "play" better?
    So many guitars So little money

  20. #180
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Dallas/Ft. Worth area
    Posts
    23
    I put Schaller 3x3 Locking tuners and Seymour Duncan VINTAGE BLUES Humbucker Pickup Set SH-1 '59 Neck & Bridge on my SE Santana. The tone is now even across all strings and no overbearing lows as before. Next I am putting a PRS wide/fat wide/thin nut on it and some .010 set of strings. The quality of the stock electronics along with the professional manner they were installed and soldered put a smile on my face. I love this guitar! Something else I noticed about this guitar when it first arrived is the un-amplified tone and sustain is amazing.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/200882331538...84.m1497.l2649
    Last edited by Bubbalou; 04-25-2013 at 02:48 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •