Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: SE Mods

I think I'm done for now. I'm fine with the SE bridge and I might do the washer trick to make the bridge sit snugly around the post. I'll be getting Gibson amber knobs or PRS amber lampshade knobs in the future.

Mike Turk Hot 59 bridge pickup
    Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro neck pickup
    Schaller straplocks
    Gotoh Vintage Style tuners
    Graphtech TUSQ nut
    CTS 500k potentiometers
    Russian K40Y PIO 0.22uf capacitor
    Switchcraft toggle switch and jack
    Gibson Gold bell knobs

On the South Bank of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in rural town.
    Quote Originally Posted by cayle View Post

I think I'm done for now. I'm fine with the SE bridge and I might do the washer trick to make the bridge sit snugly around the post.
    [/COLOR]
    I didn't know this was a problem. I thought that was what the set screws were for. Please fill me in on this.
    "Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    Sweet. I am planning to put creme rings and zebra open coil pickups in mine in addition to the lampshades. This was the mockup I did of it:

I have a zebra DiMarzio Steve's Special incoming for the bridge. The neck pickup is out of another SE. If those don't work tonally, I just also scored a set of round bobbin 59/09s off ebay that I would probably put some nickle covers on with the black rings, so it would look like this:

Personally I like the original version with the covered pickups and black knobs. You have to do what "you" want to do, I understand that. It will always be an awesome guitar.
    "Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.

Quote Originally Posted by prscat33511 View Post
    Went to bone nut
    anyone know where to source a new trem block for SE custom ?

Steel or brass - doesn't matter

Thanks
    Excellent question.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I didn't know this was a problem. I thought that was what the set screws were for. Please fill me in on this.
    http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...+bridge+washer

Oh man what a big mistake
    The bone nut was installed improperly, and way too low
    The replacment isnt better at all and my slight whammy bends make everything go sharp
    The tusq fit perfect, worked the best - now I'm disgusted with this thing
    Still looking for a replacement trem block
    I should have left well enough alone

Went to bone nut
    anyone know where to source a new trem block for SE custom ?

Steel or brass - doesn't matter

Thanks

Oh man what a big mistake
    The bone nut was installed improperly, and way too low
    The replacment isnt better at all and my slight whammy bends make everything go sharp
    The tusq fit perfect, worked the best - now I'm disgusted with this thing
    Still looking for a replacement trem block
    I should have left well enough alone

It sounds like you have to find a real good guitar man to work on your guitars. I have one about ten miles away that is a retired air force dude that rocks out in a local band and builds handwired tube amps as well. He works on guitars for a very reasonable price. He worked on a nice Epiphone LP I have and it sounds really great now. He rewired it and installed new pots plus wired the kill switch I had put in earlier "correctly", which the first installers didn't know how to do. It is a really quiet two way toggle kill switch. My next one will be a button if I do another one.

There is no substitute for a good guitar man. He is independent from these dealers. The dealers seem to have mediocre commercial tech type people that don't really have their hearts into it.

I would get that nut taken care of immediately by a good guitar man. Check with some of the well known gigging musicians around you and see who they recommend. They know where the good techs are.

I was doing some mods to the Santana SE when someone snapped this photo. Notice my safety gear. That kind of thing is important.

The Bovine Fury <-- New Album Yes, Please available NOW!
    05 Custom 22 / 07 Mira / 08 Baritone SE / 03 Santana SE

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anybody is interested I just listed a CU CE Tremolo Setup, a new set of Phase II Locking Tuners and a new American PRS nut all in one auction on eBay. They start at $100 with no reserve

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251473757537...84.m1586.l2649
    2001 CE-22 with \m/ pickups, JVM210H, Marshall 1960AV 412

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Lowery with SE HFS and Vintage Bass zebra coils, plus some creme pickup rings.

The Bovine Fury <-- New Album Yes, Please available NOW!
    05 Custom 22 / 07 Mira / 08 Baritone SE / 03 Santana SE

This is my 25th Anni Cu24 with what I call the '85 Mod. A friend and I tried to make our SE's be as close to the original Cu24 as we could. It's got USA HFS/Vintage pups with a USA wiring harness with the 5 way rotary and we added the sweet switch.

1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS 2 channel "H", PRS SE50, Mesa RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender HRD

This is my 2014 PRS SE 245 in McCarty Tobacco Sunburst.

It's a limited edition, so not only does it come in this beautiful color but also with an ebony fretboard, matching headstock and adjustable stoptail from P22 (no piezo though).

Here are the things I changed:

- Pickup rings in crème
    - Toggle switch in crème
    - Amber / Gold knobs
    - Graph Tech Black Tusq XL nut
    - Kluson Locking Tuners
    - Ernie Ball Power Slinkys (11-48)

Everything was a hazzle free swap, I didn't run into any problems. Except for some minor adjustments to the truss rod and intonation for the new strings.

In the near future, I plan on swapping the stock 245 pickups for Seymour Duncan '59 (N) + Custom (B). Stock pickups are okay, I like the neck pickup, but the bridge pickup gets muddy very fast at high gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomonganni View Post
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Man, that looks cool!

Lowery with SE HFS and Vintage Bass zebra coils, plus some creme pickup rings.

Lookin' good!

Quote Originally Posted by phase90 View Post
    This is my 2014 PRS SE 245 in McCarty Tobacco Sunburst.

It's a limited edition, so not only does it come in this beautiful color but also with an ebony fretboard, matching headstock and adjustable stoptail from P22 (no piezo though).

Here are the things I changed:

- Pickup rings in crème
    - Toggle switch in crème
    - Amber / Gold knobs
    - Graph Tech Black Tusq XL nut
    - Kluson Locking Tuners
    - Ernie Ball Power Slinkys (11-48)

Everything was a hazzle free swap, I didn't run into any problems. Except for some minor adjustments to the truss rod and intonation for the new strings.

In the near future, I plan on swapping the stock 245 pickups for Seymour Duncan '59 (N) + Custom (B). Stock pickups are okay, I like the neck pickup, but the bridge pickup gets muddy very fast at high gain.

This looks awesome. I love the color of the headstock. Who sells these limited edition ones?

Quote Originally Posted by prsman2012 View Post
    This looks awesome. I love the color of the headstock. Who sells these limited edition ones?
    +1. I'm ready. So is my wallet.

Did you try taking off the pegboard decal with naptha or lighter fluid?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GBrux View Post
    Here is a pic of my new nut and TRC...

Quote Originally Posted by prsman2012 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SausageofPower View Post
    +1. I'm ready. So is my wallet.
    I got it from "Musikhaus Thomann" located in Germany. Nice-to-know-fact: According to a recent tv documentary, it's the world's largest music retailer.
    There are several PRS SE limited editions, including Cu24, Cu24-7, 245 and Tremonti.

http://www.thomann.de/de/search_AR_3...41_321042.html

Quote Originally Posted by vrdyer View Post
    Did you try taking off the pegboard decal with naptha or lighter fluid?

Thanks
    If that question was for me:
    No I didn't dare touch it. I thought about it though, there are a few third party decals on the bay that might look nice with the colored headstock.
    It looks and feels like the decal is underneath the clear finish, so I'd have to sand that down to get to the decal. That's a no-go for me.
    Last edited by phase90; 03-21-2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: additional question ..