Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walk The Talk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    My apologies, I misunderstood also. Glad you got to show off your chops and all remain friends.
    Not a problem. I can learn a few lessons also, one being that I should refrain from posting this stuff.
    Like I mentioned, context is very hard to relay via posts.
    Last word ... summary of what happened ...

I was sitting at the bar, having a beer, minding my own business, chatting with a small group of people. I hadn't even been listening to the band.
    Someone at the pub mentioned to the guitar player that I was a decent guitarist. I don't know why this offended him so much.
    A few minutes before the third set starts, he and the singer approach me, totally pissed, extremely belligerent.
    Guitar guy says something to the effect of "so I hear you think you're pretty hot on the guitar". I've never seen this guy before, never talked to him. Conversation devolved from there.
    So it ends with me telling them that I could care less what they thought and to just leave me alone.
    Couple more things and they say "why don't you come up and show us", so I did.
    Played a couple of songs and went and resumed my conversation at the bar.

I don't know why these two guys were so obnoxious ... well, maybe I do. They were young (early twenties), pissed and full of themselves. I was chatting with a couple of attractive women who weren't paying any attention to them ... male hormones rage ... begs a line from a fine song via the Buckster ... "you don't know me, but you don't like me".

I'm all for supporting musicians in any situation, but that's a two-way street. I don't support fighting or brawls, but I do support Canadian Bacon and Canadian Beaver

Sobriety helps
    Not if you're listening to my "band", or playing in it.

My apologies, most of what you post has a confrontational edge to it so it was easy to come to that conclusion. I was originally put off by this as a few years ago two guys started to fight about 8 feet from where my guitar rig sat. My McCarty AND my cu22 were sitting in the stand there as well. Could of ended badly. But again, I was wrong about your post. Sorry.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    My apologies, most of what you post has a confrontational edge to it so it was easy to come to that conclusion. I was originally put off by this as a few years ago two guys started to fight about 8 feet from where my guitar rig sat. My McCarty AND my cu22 were sitting in the stand there as well. Could of ended badly. But again, I was wrong about your post. Sorry.
    Not a problem. "most of what you post has a confrontational edge to it" ... i was a little surprised by that comment. If it does, it's not intentional. just goes to show that it's pretty much impossible to see yourself as others do. thx for that, I truly wasn't aware and will be more perceptive in what i post.

the whole thing was very surreal, i never got angry, almost like it was happening in another dimension.
    anyway, at the end of their third set, i talked to them for a few minutes. they had pretty much run out of gas.
    won't say we parted as best buds but it was fine.

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Sorry to everybody. I misunderstood it first and I guess I started the whole thing
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Albrecht, you didn't start it, there was miscommunication and assumptions going on everywhere. I read the OP first (timezone thing) and didn't respond, even in the third post I thought "play" was a euphemism for "fight" and continued on... Some of us remember a similar thread that well, wasn't even similar in the end... Roadhouse to Crossroads in one post huh?

To the OP, sorry man, should have asked for you to clear it up first. Ass-umptions!

Still a fun conversation in the end. I always hated guys who turned playing into a contest. I always have more fun with people willing to share.

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Still a fun conversation in the end. I always hated guys who turned playing into a contest. I always have more fun with people willing to share.
    Like... "You just brought guitar to a gunfight, pal..." ?

I admit, I'm a little competitive, but not as much as I used to be.
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Band rule #1: NO ONE sits in with the band...EVER! (Unless there's a stupid amount of cash involved. We are here as a business. )
    Band rule #2: Never drink too much while playing. You're on the job. If you like playing, try to act a little bit professional.

Otherwise, someone will end up posting about you in a guitar forum.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

I have always felt that a "guest" onstage was ok as long as said person isn't too intoxicated. I feel it creates a bond with your audience.

I had a guy get up and sing "Tiny Dancer" by Elton John. We didn't know it well enough to play it so he did it without a band. I laughed my butt off and the crowd ate it up. I will always remember that incident.

Could any of you forum members pull that song off on the spot? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Albrecht Smuten View Post
    Like... "You just brought guitar to a gunfight, pal..." ? .
    I'm an American, I carry both. (Sometimes.)

Hooray! Reply with quote worked!

Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    Could any of you forum members pull that song off on the spot? Just curious.
    I'll give that one a solid "maybe". LOL. Yeah, maybe on keyboards.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I got up with the band when I was at a resort in Fiji (happened pretty often apparently). I started out with a out of tune open G and an even more out of tune rendition of "Kumbaya", the looks on their faces was priceless. I then of course started playing properly and they looked at each other, laughed and joined in. They were heaps of fun to play with!

If you want to play with the band, it makes it easier if you've hired them to play at your kid's wedding.

Banned
    Just for the record, I wasn't intoxicated, plus I didn't turn into a competition. It did, but I don't like that and try very hard to avoid it. Hasn't happened in a long time.
    The comment that my posts often seem a "little confrontational" was a useful observation for me. Like I mentioned, it isn't intentional but if it comes thru in posts to a guitar forum, it likely is a reflection of my general attitude and something to be aware of and improve upon.

Anyway, at the end of the day, there wasn't any fight, no-one/nothing was hurt except maybe a few feelings. Self-Awareness can be an elusive thing at times and I won't allow myself to get dragged into something like that again.

all good...glad nobody got into a physical confrontation.
    -Bob

I can only dream of the day I get to solve a confrontation with a guitar duel or perhaps even a dance off, I have been preparing my whole life for such an event. There were all these movies I watched when I was growing up that offered the promise of getting the girl after doing the "L.A. Massacre" like in "Thrashin"... Consider yourself blessed!

A Dance off? I'd be happy to resolve the issue with Rock, Paper, Scissors.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    A Dance off? I'd be happy to resolve the issue with Rock, Paper, Scissors.
    That ain't gonna cut it when your local community center is in danger of being shut down.... Nope. It's gotta be a dance off.

Oh. Then how about a bake sale?
    One Life