Thread: New member with a question

Question New member with a question

Hi everyone, I'm Steve from the UK and have just bought my second PRS. I've just got a beautiful Paul's guitar with a stunning quilted yellow tiger top. Can someone please explain what a 'Dirty' carved top is?

There was a limited run model called the dirty 100 (or something close to that). Is that what you're referring to?

As far its not one of those. The spec:
    Paul's Guitar Model Specs
    Body
    Top Wood: Carve "Dirty" Artist Grade Figured Maple
    Back Wood: Lightweight Mahogany
    I was wondering what the 'dirty' referred to.

Quote Originally Posted by Relevance View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm Steve from the UK and have just bought my second PRS. I've just got a beautiful Paul's guitar with a stunning quilted yellow tiger top. Can someone please explain what a 'Dirty' carved top is?
    Congrats on the axe.

I believe "dirty" is a reference to the maple having mineral stains. I've seen a video of Paul talking about the Dirty 100 run where he mentions this specifically. It's shown below.

Plank Owner

By the way, it's interesting that the video makes reference to the bound fingerboards.

I realize that a lot of people on the old BAM forum went apoplectic when they came out with bound boards, but after having both bound and unbound, after a while I found that I prefer the way a bound fingerboard feels.

In fact, I wish now that I'd gotten a bound fingerboard on my PS acoustic, but at the time I ordered it, I hadn't come to that realization.

I'm more of a production guitar guy, so I will miss the bound boards on models like the SC58, etc.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I love those tops!
    -Bob