Thread: A Music Business Meeting. Sigh.

A Music Business Meeting. Sigh.

Today I sat through a music business meeting. The meeting lasted about three hours, if you include the hour where the guy hosting the meeting didn't show up and we waited around.

It was supposed to be about evaluating a new artist. It turned into something else, as they so often do.

Hey, why should my time be valuable? Go ahead, waste it. We're in the music business.

As I sat there, the thought grew: there is music, and there is business. Logically, the two activities have very little to do with one another.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Ouch. At least when a bandmate is late, there's still going to be some jamming... your meeting just sounds like delayed boredom!
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

I only show up in person if there will be food and/or money... Otherwise it's not really business.

hey, we're having a reception tomorrow. Can you call the musicians' union and have them send over some entertainers? We'll serve refreshments.
    (DC 245 Ted / DGT / 513 / Santana / McShootout / Cu22 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Sig LTD / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom) >> {C, H, Dallas, Original Sewell}

We are making an iOS game and meetings about music I expected to be fun. They have routinely been the least fun of all my activities surrounding the project.
    Plank Owner

You know, I'm good at what I do, as I should be after 23 years in the biz. I kinda know what time it is.

Plus, I have this entertainment law background, so maybe listen to my advice?

Oh, what's that? You're too busy listening to yourself talk through your toupee?

Fine. Dandy. See yaz.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I only show up in person if there will be food and/or money... Otherwise it's not really business.
    You could always dance, that could be risky business!

At least you had a good hour there to surf around to all the cool guitar sites like this one.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    At least you had a good hour there to surf around to all the cool guitar sites like this one.
    I don't know what Les was surfing, but that's not the wave I was riding.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    Actually, I sat in the conference room without a computer.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

What is this "without a computer" you speak of? No smart phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, e-reader, smart watch, or other doohickey? You mean you had to sit in a room with nothing to look at other than the walls? And you had to pass the time by thinking or daydreaming? Or heaven forbid... talking to another person? About stuff? In this day and age?
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Actually, I sat in the conference room without a computer.
    I don't go anywhere without my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro. iPhone for quick comms, iPad for forum, MacBook Pro for heavy lifting.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    I don't go anywhere without my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro. iPhone for quick comms, iPad for forum, MacBook Pro for heavy lifting.
    I take a pad and a pen into a meeting.

That would be a fountain pen and a paper legal pad, son. Because old school is cool.

Only lower-level functionaries sit in business meetings fiddling with contraptions.
    -- Homer J. Simpson