Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Custom 24 SE from GC

I haven't seen anyone get squashed for voicing a dissenting opinion.

I have seen people asked to back up their opinion - especially if it doesn't jibe with conventional wisdom. That's how paradigms get changed and we all learn something.

What I have seen is people getting squashed for being rude or belligerent while voicing their opinions. And in those cases, the squashing was for the method chosen to deliver the opinion, not the opinion itself.

It is entirely possible to voice a contrary opinion to the masses or post a negative concerning PRS without resulting to ad hominen attacks.

As far as cliques go - some people know some people better than they do others. Some people like some people better than they do others. That's life. Nothing artificial here about that. That being said, I'm not sure if I sit at the cool table or not. It's OK if I do. It's also OK if I don't.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    Not every Forum meets everyone's expectations. Stay if you want, leave if you must. But to bash people here and heap praises on another forum is truly bad form.

But funny you should mention that some folks over there are not members here. That is their choice. Very few folks have been banned from this forum. It's a shame it doesn't always work that way...

Jamie
    Thank you for proving my point. I praised this forum as well, but of course, you chose to ignore that.
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    I've read this entire thread. I see ZERO condescension nor negative comments (save for those directed to GC's selling policies).

The OP asked for comments and suggestions. He received them.

You seem to be the one stirring up trouble. I cannot fathom why...

Jamie
    If you looked back at the original thread where I had mentioned how disappointed I was about the SE guitar I ordered from GC came without its gig bag you might have better understanding... I thought that was all in the past. I am not attempting to "stir" trouble. My post was intended to be helpful and mentioned how under very similar circumstances, I received satisfaction from GC after letting them know how disappointed I was. That was a good thing on GC's part. It lead to additional sales for them! Also a good thing!! All concerned ending up satisfied!! The best thing!! What upset me is that my post about my personal experience generated this moderator comment... "I'm not down with that at all. Be accountable for your decisions."

"If you bought it knowing there was no gig bag but now you want one, fine. Return it and negotiate a new deal that includes one." This harks back to the old thread that was thankfully closed by Shawn months ago. People will have different opinions and that ok! Trouble starts when someone thinks the only acceptable opinion is one that coinsides with their own. I like vanilla. You like chocolate. I will never tell you are "wrong" to like chocolate. Please don't tell me I am wrong to like vanilla!!
    PRS CE 22 Whale Blue / PRS DC3 Vintage Burst / PRS SE Custom 24 Whale Blue / Fender American Special Stratocaster / Fender Telecaster Thinline Deluxe / Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro / Epiphone ES-339 Pro / Ovation Legend 2077 AX / Fender Super Champ X2 / Fender Acoustasonic 100

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    I haven't seen anyone get squashed for voicing a dissenting opinion.

I have seen people asked to back up their opinion - especially if it doesn't jibe with conventional wisdom. That's how paradigms get changed and we all learn something.

What I have seen is people getting squashed for being rude or belligerent while voicing their opinions. And in those cases, the squashing was for the method chosen to deliver the opinion, not the opinion itself.
    You bring up some great points Ruger. And funny you should mention "backing up opinions."
    As an example, post #67 in this thread http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...highlight=fret a Super Duper Moderator takes a very terse approach with member CHARISMAFIRE, without backing up anything. Then later in the thread Shawn (post #101) said essentially the same thing as CHARISMAFIRE, and it was as if Jesus had spoken, and the debate was over.

CHARISMAFIRE was not being 'belligerent' or mean-spirited, yet the Super Duper Moderator was compelled to respond in very poor form, without backing up his remarks. This is just one example.

If I was not clear enough before, let me reiterate, I love PRS and there are some very awesome people on this forum with lots of insight and knowledge. Simply sharing another website should not offend grown adult males.
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    You bring up some great points Ruger. And funny you should mention "backing up opinions."
    As an example, post #67 in this thread http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...highlight=fret a Super Duper Moderator takes a very terse approach with member CHARISMAFIRE, without backing up anything. Then later in the thread Shawn (post #101) said essentially the same thing as CHARISMAFIRE, and it was as if Jesus had spoken, and the debate was over.

CHARISMAFIRE was not being 'belligerent' or mean-spirited, yet the Super Duper Moderator was compelled to respond in very poor form, without backing up his remarks. This is just one example.

If I was not clear enough before, let me reiterate, I love PRS and there are some very awesome people on this forum with lots of insight and knowledge. Simply sharing another website should not offend grown adult males.
    Funny you should use that thread for your example. Charismafire and I were in a seemingly chicken/egg discussion concerning the layout of 22 vs 24 frets. He based his layout on a static position for the neck pickup and the movement of the bridge position. I based mine upon the need to accommodate 2 more frets. The moderator agreed with my position. I have just re-read his post several times. I just cannot see how his post was in poor form or mean spirited in any way. Shawn's post at 101 was how he saw it - and still not in poor form or mean spirited towards either chrismafire or me.

I cannot say the same for your post at 98 in the same thread.

Cris, if you knew beforehand that SEs from GC don't come with gig bags, I'm not seeing how encouraging others to whine until they get one for free is good advice.
    Last edited by rugerpc; 09-05-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

I am not going to be able to make it tonight to GC (durning all this my dad has been in cardiac ICU). I am too tired to drive there and deal with it. ( dad came home today)
    Do you think that replacing the current strings with a set of 9s I have would hurt my casework GC?

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyRN View Post
    I am not going to be able to make it tonight to GC (durning all this my dad has been in cardiac ICU). I am too tired to drive there and deal with it. ( dad came home today)
    Do you think that replacing the current strings with a set of 9s I have would hurt my casework GC?
    I think changing the strings is a step in the right direction.... BUT, once YOU start changing things, it makes it harder for you to show how GC should be fixing it...

Sorry to hear about your dad.
    Thbbbbbt...

Look...I think this thread has gotten way out of control.

When I pay money for something I make sure I know what I am buying at the point of purchase. If it is not to my satisfaction I don't buy. With respect to a new guitar a full inspection should be performed from top to bottom to check for any damage and to make sure all is in good working order. If it is something as simple as a setup issue...I expect the vendor will set it up to my standards before I pay for it. If it is something beyond this I don't buy. If I end up missing something and realize it when I get home...I turn right around and return it...really simple. I don't want to pay for something only to be less than satisfied with my purchase. If a warranty issue develops I reach out to the company directly. If there is a problem with the way the warranty is handled I reach out to the company to try to correct it privately in a reasonable fashion. This very simple formula has kept me out of trouble. The only time it didn't work for me was because an actual crime occurred. I involved the police and I sued when that happened...I ended up winning the lawsuit. All the talk and back and forth is unproductive B^11S#!+...take the necessary steps to get what you want and make sure you are taken care of the right way!!! It's either that or you set yourself up for a potentially very unsatisfactory experience.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyRN View Post

Didn't see this....very sorry to hear he's been having trouble...glad to read he was sent home. Hope all works out for you folks.
    -Bob

Cherry Pie is nice............... just say'in!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Ooh.. A Clique! I hope I'm pretty enough to sit at the cool kids table at lunch.
    I'll slide up a booster seat for ya. We're gonna put green beans in Hans' milk...don't tell him!
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    Whatever, Dude. Peanut butter pie...maybe pecan.
    Too many and never enough...

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    Completely agree 100%.

Completely agree 100%.

So in love with the chick from the video, what, almost twenty years later.
    I'm going to have to see what she looks like now. Maybe that will help me get over it..

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    So in love with the chick from the video, what, almost twenty years later.
    I'm going to have to see what she looks like now. Maybe that will help me get over it..
    I expect this song to be playing when you pick me up at the airport bro.
    Plank Owner

a Super Duper Moderator takes a very terse approach with member CHARISMAFIRE, without backing up anything. Then later in the thread Shawn (post #101) said essentially the same thing as CHARISMAFIRE, and it was as if Jesus had spoken, and the debate was over.

You think there's somehow a justification for this "super duper" name calling nonsense?

I've read this thread and the others you linked, and see no heavy-handedness from the mods. This kind of childishness is absurd, pie or no pie.

The mods aren't perfect, they're people, but they work hard to make this a good place. Lots and lots of hours. So you can come here and declare them "super duper." Thing is, they actually ARE.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 09-05-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Thank you for proving my point. I praised this forum as well, but of course, you chose to ignore that.
    Care to point out where that happened in this thread?
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B. View Post
    If you looked back at the original thread where I had mentioned how disappointed I was about the SE guitar I ordered from GC came without its gig bag you might have better understanding... I thought that was all in the past. I am not attempting to "stir" trouble. My post was intended to be helpful and mentioned how under very similar circumstances, I received satisfaction from GC after letting them know how disappointed I was. That was a good thing on GC's part. It lead to additional sales for them! Also a good thing!! All concerned ending up satisfied!! The best thing!! What upset me is that my post about my personal experience generated this moderator comment... "I'm not down with that at all. Be accountable for your decisions."

"If you bought it knowing there was no gig bag but now you want one, fine. Return it and negotiate a new deal that includes one." This harks back to the old thread that was thankfully closed by Shawn months ago. People will have different opinions and that ok! Trouble starts when someone thinks the only acceptable opinion is one that coinsides with their own. I like vanilla. You like chocolate. I will never tell you are "wrong" to like chocolate. Please don't tell me I am wrong to like vanilla!!
    I'm not bringing up old threads. I am responding to THIS one.

"Trouble starts when someone thinks the only acceptable opinion is one that coinsides with their own."

No one said any such thing. The trouble began when the insults started. The OP asked for suggestions and comments. He received them. I don't see him complaining of the comments.suggestions.

You 'inferred" that a comment was made about you. YOU took it personally, and reacted. Sorry, but that is your issue. Not the OP's and not the point of this thread.

An official response from the company was given. If that satisfies you, fine. If not, there is noting anyone can do about that.
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

That is terse? Dude, you obviously don't know me. That ain't even close to terse. But please, feel free to mock me and the playful moniker I use as a joke.

I don't hold grudges. I have no idea who you are, and no idea no idea what you were talking about until I went back and read that other thread.

It seems the same cannot be said for you. Feel free to be insulted, it was not my intent, and I refuse held responsible for your feelings.

The very fact that this thread stands and that your posts remain (unedited by us) is testament to the fact that your opinion is flawed...

Once again, stay if you wish, leave if you must. Reasonable complaints about PRS will never be silenced, nor deleted. But bashing of the company (and more importantly), the members here (including the mod staff, as we too are members), will not.

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    You think there's somehow a justification for this "super duper" name calling nonsense?

I've read this thread and the others you linked, and see no heavy-handedness from the mods. This kind of childishness is absurd, pie or no pie.

The mods aren't perfect, they're people, but they work hard to make this a good place. Lots and lots of hours. So you can come here and declare them "super duper." Thing is, they actually ARE.
    Actually Les, he's mocking the "Super Duper Moderator" custom title I use (that was a private joke between Hans and I). It means nothing to anyone else...

Er, I guess I was wrong about that. Apparently it's an offense to some... Who knew?
    ---Jamie---

My Gear