Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Show off your forum TRCs

Quote Originally Posted by Sekunda View Post

Oh yeah... Gotta love the new look!!! I think they actually play better now!
    Nice dude!
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Nice dude!
    Why thank you, kind sir!

here is what they are on:

Yes Sergio... those are wings buddy!!!
    ~ Matt

PRS Custom 22 | PRS Stripped 58 | Jackson Soloist XL | HXDA Head and 2x12 Stealth Cab

Awesome. Love those axes.
    Plank Owner

Warped frustrated old man John Scrip's Avatar
    Another boring shot --

John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering - Chicago IL
    2011 PRS Custom 24
    Proud Member of ROLBAMTMWAOBGMMPRSC24OA

^^^ Nice set up

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Looking great chaps!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Now it is official, I actually put it on.
    Very easy to do

I have a separate question though.
    Since I had the guitar on the stand to work on, I decided to try and tackle the pickup covers.
    I started with the neck pickup and pulled out the two outer black screws which came out easily.
    I went to do the center chrome screw, and it started to lift the pickup along with the cover, and the screw was not screwed into wood, but into a spring mechanism.
    I decided to abort the task.

Did I just screw up my setup job from my dealer in getting the pickups at the right height?
    I had to push down on the creme colored cover and hold it against the spring pressure while tightening down that chrome screw.
    I can not tell if I screwed something up or not.

Can't believe how much better the tone and action are with this new truss rod cover...

CoreyT -- It sounds like you just messed with the pickup height adjustment. Not a biggie. Hold the strings down at the highest fret and adjust for maybe 1/8" or so below that and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by John Scrip; 09-06-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    2011 PRS Custom 24

DGT Club Vice President
    Man, I'm so late to the party!!

mgd

DGTs

I missed the cut off for the trc....all of them look great.

Maybe Shawn will do a second run pf the trc......

Talked to Shawn yesterday, will be posting pics next week of my 2 covers!
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets/signed by PRS
    2012 FBJB 10 top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti
    2012 Tremonti CustomSE Grey/Black heavily modded, DGT frets and nut at PTC
    2014 ARCHON

Quote Originally Posted by John Scrip View Post
    CoreyT -- It sounds like you just messed with the pickup height adjustment. Not a biggie. Hold the strings down at the highest fret and adjust for maybe 1/8" or so below that and you'll be fine.
    Thanks John.
    I have one of those Stew-Mac string gauge things that is around the size of a credit card, and it has a 1/8th" marking on it, will check later today.
    Thing is I messed with both screws.
    You would think changing the pickup ring would be easier in it that you would not have to get your pickups all out of kilter.
    I have never messed with this before on a guitar, so I hope I get it right, or it is a trip to the dealer on a Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    Thanks John.
    I have one of those Stew-Mac string gauge things that is around the size of a credit card, and it has a 1/8th" marking on it, will check later today.
    Thing is I messed with both screws.
    You would think changing the pickup ring would be easier in it that you would not have to get your pickups all out of kilter.
    I have never messed with this before on a guitar, so I hope I get it right, or it is a trip to the dealer on a Saturday.
    I have tried to change mine as well and once thinking that it would be just the matter of loosen the strings, take all screws out and change tham. Of course, once I realized that it is not that straight forward, it was too late! I then take out all strings and it was way easier that way.

Then I found out that the cream covers that came with the guitar look much better than the black ones (for me), and I have to do it all over again

Anyway, the pup height adjustment is not that complicate and it is also depends on what you like. The 1/8" is just the ballpark. Adjust until you like what you hear, that the bottom line.
    Paul's Guitar in Copper, 408MT Brazilian Neck in Black Gold
    1987 Gibson Les Paul Pre-Historic '59, Fender Stratocaster American Vintage '57
    Musicman JP6 full option in Mystic Dream, Gibson Explorer with EMG 81-85 in Black

S'true -- I generally keep mine "as high as possible" and go with that. But that 1/8"-ish area is usually good enough to prevent the string's orbit from hitting the pups.

THAT ALL SAID: If you're going to do a 'mod', you can't get much simpler than the pickup rings. Pop 'em out, swap 'em out, throw 'em in. "Don't lose the springs" (it's really about the only thing that can go wrong in most cases). Making the final adjustment is much more of an "eyeball" thing than an actual measurement -- If you really feel the need, that 1/8" suggestion is probably as good as anything -- Of course, make sure the strings are solidly down on the last fret when making that adjustment - But you can do this - I have faith in you. Work slowly, work methodically, start all the screws, set all the screws, tighten all the screws, do the other, string 'er up, make the final adjustments.

Have a thick (clean) rag handy from the start that you can use to protect the body while the pups are out -- other than losing the springs (which is a temporary swearing thing), the only real worry is scratching the finish.
    2011 PRS Custom 24

Thanks John, also found this.
    http://prsguitars.com/csc/setup.html
    Pickup Height Adjustment
    The pickups on your new instrument are fully adjustable by turning the height adjustment screws at each end of the pickup. With the high and low E strings (E and G strings for the Electric Bass) depressed at the last fret the measurement should about 2.5/32 (5/64”) on the treble side and about 3/32” on the bass side of both pickups. You may season to taste if you wish.
    Looks like they call for different measurements on the 1st and 6th string side.
    Will measure the bridge pickup which I never messed around with.

Think I will install the rings later though when it is time to change my strings as they are still good.
    Then there is the issue I have heard of if you pull off all the strings on a tremolo equipped guitar, you run the risk of screwing up the claw setting?

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    Then there is the issue I have heard of if you pull off all the strings on a tremolo equipped guitar, you run the risk of screwing up the claw setting?
    I used to see the PRS set up VDO on YouTube that the guitartech in the VDO just started off with no strings at all. I did take all strings off when I change the pickup ring (only from the tuner side, all strings were still hanging from the trem). Once completed, everything is back to normal like there was nothing has ever happened (apart from I have to set the pups heights).

And while not the spring, I did lost one of the screws, darn!!! Spend approx 15 mins sweeping the carpet in my office for that screw and found it where I would swear that I had already looked there several times before!
    Paul's Guitar in Copper, 408MT Brazilian Neck in Black Gold
    1987 Gibson Les Paul Pre-Historic '59, Fender Stratocaster American Vintage '57
    Musicman JP6 full option in Mystic Dream, Gibson Explorer with EMG 81-85 in Black

Okay - I'm waiting for Shawn to come clean on the tech used in the TRCs.

Got mine Saturday. Put one on my 408 tonight. Looked like this:

But then I played for about 15-20 minutes and...

So, spill it Shawn - how did you guys get a talent detector in there, and how does it work???
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    Okay - I'm waiting for Shawn to come clean on the tech used in the TRCs.

Got mine Saturday. Put one on my 408 tonight. Looked like this:

But then I played for about 15-20 minutes and...

So, spill it Shawn - how did you guys get a talent detector in there, and how does it work???
    Oh crap. If the TRC has a talent detector, I'm doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    It's all over Tim. I got 2 so you can have one of mine, I'll call Shawn tonight and get them moving. Let you know when they're here and I'll post one up
    That is very generous my Antipondean Bretheren!! But I can steal your action dude!!!

That's better

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	McCarty.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	555