Thread: SE/S2 and US tremolo compatibility, let's sort this one out

SE/S2 and US tremolo compatibility, let's sort this one out

OK so there's been a bit of talk about the SE trem no longer being compatible with the US trem (that is, you can no longer put a US trem in a SE, and therefore S2).

Let's work out when the change happened! What we need is someone with a SE from 2011, 2012 and 2013 to accurately measure the distance, centre to centre, of the 2 outside screws, of the 6 trem screws.

Best way would be with a set of vernier calipers, but an eyeball with an accurate ruler may suffice.

The more measurements the merrier, post your year, serial number and measurement please...

I'll update this original post as we get measurements.

Go!

I put a MannMade trem on my 2012 Tremonti Custom SE...fit perfectly!
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets
    2010 Mira Vintage Mahogany-Dragon 1 pup in bridge
    2012 Faded Blue Jean Burst 10 Top Tremonti
    2012 PRS Tremonti Custom SE Grey/Black PRS Phase 2 tuners, Mannmade 2000NOS Trem,Refret with DGT frets at PTC, USA nut, PRS USA pots and knobs

So you mean many will buy a S2 custom and replace the tremolo?Are the Korean tremolos that bad?
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    Are the Korean tremolos that bad?
    I don't think so. I have a Milcom, the modern two-piece, and the SE trem, they are different for sure but I wouldn't dare say they are bad.

I had a 2012 se cu24 and the trem was spot on .

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    I put a 2012 US Trem in a 2011 SE Santana and it fit perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    So you mean many will buy a S2 custom and replace the tremolo?Are the Korean tremolos that bad?
    That depends on if the 2013 SE trem is different or not. If not, I dare say there will be quite a few people that will change their trem.

Are they bad? Well they're the exact same design but the materials are different, and in my opinion, the quality is not as high. The trem block is steel as you know (so you may actually like them ), the casting on the top plate is not as nice, and the plating on the saddles doesn't look as nice to me either.

I would say with lower quality materials, a SE trem would also not be as good functionally (i.e. stability) and perhaps the knife edge won't last as long. If you screw the trem down like you, then none of this will bother you of course!

I Always thought the blocks were zinc.If they are steel i sure like them .Check out this tremolo http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?c...&product=1653C
    Last edited by swede71; 09-05-2013 at 07:38 PM.
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

I recall sticking a magnet to the block (I don't have a SE trem here any longer).

That one looks like a SE trem to me...

Ok,very interesting.Hopefully PRS can sort us out here.I also started thinking the same thing you brought up in this thread

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    From a February 2013 PTC quote I received re a 2012 SE Custom 24. Response was from Mr. Nuthall:

Install user-supplied MannMade 2000NOS PRS Vibrato Bridge (will ship w guitar)= Not a direct replacement for SE models. We will need to fill the existing holes and redrill new holes. The holes are very similarly placed, but not exact enough to allow the tremolo to perform properly. All work will be hidden under bridge.

I thought that he MannMade was a drop-in for the Maryland trem, but not sure if the above applies only to the MM and not the PRS one.

FWIW I thought a lot about this because the saddles on the SE trem seem kinda light, thought maybe something beefier would help w sustain, tone, etc...
    Last edited by CantankerousCarl; 09-05-2013 at 09:54 PM.
    1990 CE24 MT | 1991 CU24 | 1991 CE24 | 1992 CE24 MT
    1993 STD 24 | 1997 CE24 3pc MT | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 SE Akesson | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 S2 Mira | 2013 Hollowbody II
    2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2014 SE Zach Myers

I always thought it was strange that the metric measured SE bridges would be an exact match with the US/English measured USA bridges. I wonder if the PTC is just being extremely exact by redrilling new holes, and it's actually close enough for rock an roll if you do it yourself?
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana