Page 31 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Goldtop listening to?

A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    BIG +1

I consider myself very lucky to have Red Rocks right down the road from me. The draws that place gets are amazing--not only is it a favorite place to see a concert, it's a great place to play. Bands that normally fill larger places take the time to play here. Rush is one of those bands that loves it. I don't make it every time Rush is here, but I try to. It's always worth it.
    I'm jealous. I've never been to Red Rocks, and I've always heard it's a fantastic place to see a gig. I just finished Barry Fey's autobiography. His company - Feyline Productions - booked sooo many shows all over, but especially in Colorado and the upper Midwest. He talks a lot about great times at Red Rocks, and he goes into detail about that U2 show that was made into a video. Barry is close friends with Bono and the guys.

Thanks for posting this.

Goldtop
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    MTV died for me when they started with their non-music shows. HELLO.... the "M" stands for "MUSIC"! In the 80s I had it on almost 24/7, now I can't remember the last time I even paused on that channel.
    I rarely watch it now. Once in a great while I'll see a "Behind the Music" listed that I'm interested it, but otherwise I pass it by. These days, the only music channel I look at very much is VH-1 Classic. Again, for BtM, or for the series Classic Albums of how "Rumours", or "Ace of Spades", or whatever was made. (Matter of fact, in about an hour they're running a replay of a documentary about The Who and the making of Quadrophenia. Phone off the hook time!)

Goldtop
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

Quote Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
    I'm jealous. I've never been to Red Rocks, and I've always heard it's a fantastic place to see a gig. I just finished Barry Fey's autobiography. His company - Feyline Productions - booked sooo many shows all over, but especially in Colorado and the upper Midwest. He talks a lot about great times at Red Rocks, and he goes into detail about that U2 show that was made into a video. Barry is close friends with Bono and the guys.

Thanks for posting this.

Goldtop

Sounds like an interesting read. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Sounds like an interesting read. I'll check it out. Thanks!
    You're very welcome. The book is called "Backstage Past".

Goldtop

Thursday ------- "The Things That I Used to Do". Here are three different takes on that old Blues standard. (BTW, these videos show one thing that I love about YouTube. These are HISTORY. I owe a debt to everybody who posts things like this to YT, and I am very grateful to them. THE Guitar Slim? How many of us have a copy of that in our collection? Albert Collins in front of a festival crowd? Chuck Berry doing Blues? In front of a seated, formal, French television taping audience? Amazing.)

Goldtop
    Last edited by Goldtop; 11-29-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Awesome.

Inspiration for this is coming from a number of places. First of all, Tom Keifer in on the cover of the current (Jan. 2013) issue of Vintage Guitar magazine. Then, there is a line in the song that goes 'It'll be awhile, before I get my peace.' That made me think of some people I'm aware of right now who are facing some difficult situations. Please hang in there folks; what you're facing will make you better and stronger once you come out the other side.

Lloyd

Friday ------- "Fool". As in "Fool for Your Stockings". Somebody comes up to me and says 'tell me about guitar tones', I say 'Get a copy of ZZ Top's Deguello'. You start there, you'll get the idea. Here are two cuts; one the studio, and the other Frank, Dusty, Billy and THE Miss Pearly live in Germany. Have a Happy Friday everybody! Don't be a Fool, and don't get Cross...

I'm Goldtop, and I'm a Fool for Stockings

OK - I admit it. something about Lady Gaga is a guilty pleasure.

In this song, I'm both intrigued and impressed how the third word of each verse gets a little mini vibrato. It adds a texture to the song that I just don't get tired of. In the first verse, the word is "help" at 0:21. In the second verse the word is "see" at 1:21.

There are other instances of unexpected vibrato - but those two really stand out. As the vocals begin in each verse, they ascend in pitch to a fourth word climax. The vibrato on the third word increases the 'pull' to the end of the phrase.

Last edited by rugerpc; 11-30-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

In sticking with my 'Friday ------- Fool' theme, I offer this. Probably my favorite Rod Stewart song, or at least one of them. Please note, and I am absolutely serious about this: I'm posting this purely because I dig the song and the title crossed my mind earlier. No hidden agenda, or statement intended; just music for the enjoyment of it. If any of the mods feel it is crossing a line please let me know, or delete it, etc. TO ME, this song is tongue in cheek, but everybody might not feel that way, so if it offends anyone it is MY fault alone. Rod Stewart "Foolish Behaviour".

Lloyd/Goldtop
    Last edited by Goldtop; 11-30-2012 at 03:12 PM.

rugerpc,

I'm with you, man. I am not afraid to admit that at first I liked some of Gaga's music. (Now I find her tedious all the way around, but that's another subject.) "Bad Romance"? Cool. "Poker Face"? I liked it. But "Paparazzi"? SIGN ME UP!!! When I first heard it, I thought 'that's a hit'. Then I heard who it was. Of course it would be a hit. She's part of THE MACHINE. I am officially going on record here as being a Manly Man (if you know what I mean), but I dig this song! AND video! I don't know how many times I've seen this - gotta be in the several dozens - but I see something new every time I watch it. I never get tired of it, especially that yellow Mickey Mouse head bodysuit of hers at about the 5:20 mark. Let me help you with those laces, Baby...

So, here's "Paparazzi". And as a side note, maybe it's a little in the interest of fair play... sort of balances out the Rod Stewart take on things above. The difference? He only dreamt about it; she does it! Again; strictly music for music's sake.
    Thanks to rugerpc for giving me the courage to speak up.

Goldtop

P.S. - I like to try to imagine this with REAL drums and guitars instead of all the synths... It could be a good rocker I think.
    Last edited by Goldtop; 11-30-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Again, that good old Gift from The Gods, INSPIRATION!

Saturday... Coming clean yesterday about my fondness for some of Gaga's music... A new card/persona/idea for avatars... Reading Peter Criss' book, much of which is about the heyday of KISS in the mid to late 70's AKA "The Disco Era"... Clubs... Put 'em all together and what do you have?

Saturday ------- "Stayin' Alive". Whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother!

Goldtop - Queen of Clubs!
    Last edited by Goldtop; 12-01-2012 at 10:01 AM.

So, here's "Paparazzi".
    I had not seen that one before. There is a lot to take in... But at the end when she is getting her mugshots taken, I was laughing out loud. She vamped the police camera!
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

"Stayin' Alive".
    I can't play this one because I don't want the brain visual of John Travolta... oh crap. there it is anyway...
    Thbbbbbt...
    Lexicon
    sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

From the 'Did you know?' department: Did you know that this woman was Billy Idol's mother? Strange but true.*

* Actually, I have no idea if it's true or not. Probably not, because I just made it up. BUT, more to the point, at one time she was a "Queen of (Dance) Clubs" herself. And she had a spiffy Gold outfit in this video. She and I seem to have so much in common; she had a Gold top, and I am Goldtop. She was a Queen of Clubs, and now, thanks to Hans, I am a Queen of Clubs. Serendipity my friends...

Goldtop/Queen of Clubs
    Last edited by Goldtop; 12-01-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    I had not seen that one before. There is a lot to take in... But at the end when she is getting her mugshots taken, I was laughing out loud. She vamped the police camera!
    I have to say that I was really into her in the early days. But once she became a DM (Disciple of Madonna) I quickly lost interest. This week is the first time I've listened to or watched anything of Gaga's in I don't know how long. Still a neat video though I think.

Goldtop

The Raconteurs, Social Distortion, HIllsong United...
    - Dane

He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.

In a mood for Peter Gabriel tonight...

Goldtop/Queen of Clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Danerada View Post
    The Raconteurs, Social Distortion, HIllsong United...
    That is some tasty stuff there! I'm a big fan of Jack White. I dig SD too... Underrated in my opinion.

Goldtop

Sunday ------- "She Thinks I Still Care". Late night. Thinking about people facing hard times. 'Dance clubs' yesterday, nightclubs tonight. Bars. Joints. Juke joints. Where there's a juke joint, there's a jukebox. Where there's a jukebox, there's George Jones. Or there should be anyway...

Goldtop