Page 36 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Goldtop listening to?

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
    Staying with my mini-theme of Sara/Sarah. FLEETWOOD! IMO, one of the greatest, most underrated rhythm sections ever. Mick and John are magical together. I've babbled on before about how I'm into drummers and their styles. Mick is so incredible. LATE in the beat, but not too late. Builds that tension. And the tone of his drums. He tunes them - and they mix them - to sound round and soft rather than harsh and painful. Compare Mick Fleetwood's drum sound to that of Tommy Lee; night and day difference. Hard to believe they're using the same instrument. (No knock on Tommy intended AT ALL.) Same idea if you were to compare David Grissom's guitar tone to that of, oooh, say... mine for example. One guy sounds like a genius, the other sounds like he slammed his hand in the door. Anyway...

Goldtop
    One of my favourite Mac tunes!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Alright..... Sunday night. Let's see... Redskins won today! Plowboys didn't. I'm starting this post with the late greats Les Paul and Mary Ford. Have you ever listened to recorded music? If so, then say a thanks to Les Paul. Multi-track recording, backward recording, echo, tape delay, electric pickups... he either invented these, or had a hand in making them viable and workable, along with many other things. Home recording. He and Mary used to tour, and he'd drag along a mini version of a studio with a reel-to-reel in a couple of suitcases. That way, they could set up and record whenever and wherever the mood hit them without having to search for studios and available time. He predicted that someday anybody who wanted to would be able to record in their homes on quality affordable equipment, and today that's taken for granted. I never had the honor of meeting him, but I will someday. I'm looking forward to it.

In the last video, the one by Canned Heat, get a load of that battered old Les Paul Goldtop. And that tone! It'll melt the ice in your cup of Christmas cheer!

Goldtop
    Last edited by Goldtop; 12-23-2012 at 09:44 PM.
    'And the answer is... none. None more Gold.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    One of my favourite Mac tunes!
    Cool. Good taste, Sir!

Goldtop

Quote Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
    Cool. Good taste, Sir!

Goldtop
    Thankyou!

There's something about the passion in Stevie Nick's voice on this track that's just wonderful. Seriously hope they tour the UK next year.

Hi everybody. Christmas Eve in The USA. Please let me say a couple of little things before I get going here.

First of all, I've always posted things that I actually listen to. Most of them are things that I listen to on a regular basis; favorites. But this week I've obviously focused more on holiday stuff, and some of it I just happened to find when I was looking around somewhere. Some is brand new to me, and maybe to you as well.

Secondly, I have a few surprises lined up for tomorrow. Music, fun, and hopefully something for everybody. I'm not trying to hog the thread, or veer off in a wrong direction; it'll just be my way of trying to give out a smile or two.

Thirdly and lastly, this is a personal note to Saint Nick himself: Santa, I haven't given up on you. I think - and hope - that I'm well-ensconced in your "Nice List", and I'm counting on that to matter when and where the time comes. Please go back and check some facts if you don't believe me. For example, there's that snooty woman behind the counter at the drugstore the other day. She actually carded me when I bought that bag of catfood for my neighbor, but how did I react? Did I laugh at her? Did I get angry? No. I just thought 'well, she's probably new and inexperienced, and nobody told her that she just needed to check IDs on people buying cigs, beer, wine, etc.', and I showed her my driver's license as I brushed my long beard out of the way. And what about what happened at the doctor's office last time? When I came out to go home and found that some doofus had parked so close to my pickup that I could only open the door about two inches? Did I get mad? Well, okay, yes I did get mad on that one, but I didn't do anything except gripe to myself. I could have left a note for them under their windshield wiper explaining what I wished would happen to them. I could have tried to coax a bird to fly over and bomb their door handle. After all, the pigeons in that parking garage know me because I feed them, so they probably would have been willing to help out if I'd have asked. But what did I do? I dealt with it with quiet dignity and grace.

My point here, Santa, is that I'm being good. So keep that in mind, will ya? Goldtop color, birds, Stripped58, DGT, Log Canoe Circle, Stevensville... These words mean anything to you, Man? C'mon, you're gonna be going through Maryland tonight and tomorrow anyway, aren't you? What's the harm in making one more delivery? Why should UPS, FedEx, and DHL have all the fun, huh? I dont have a chimney, so I'll even save you some steps and meet you at the door. Remember those Oreos I mentioned? I'm willing to up the ante with ice cold WHOLE milk (NO 2%!) and a six pack of your favorite adult beverages for you to share later with Mrs. C.

Think it over, Santa. In the words of Lou when he sang with Foreigner, 'I've always been a patient man, but my patience has reached its end'. I'm not there yet, but it's getting close...

Lloyd/Goldtop, who has ALWAYS believed in you, Big Red Man!
    Last edited by Goldtop; 12-24-2012 at 11:38 AM.

The first of many today.

Der Goldtop

Lloyd

Searching for the sound tdarian's Avatar
    If I Told You All That Went Down It Would Burn Off Both Of Your Ears

Five of a Kind...

Goldtop

Ho, Ho, Ho... Here's five mo'!

Goldtop Baby

Two for the road...

Goldtop

Quote Originally Posted by george johnson View Post
    Shane Theriot.

Amazing player.
    THE GREASE FACTOR, EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boogie Woogie Goldtop

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE !!!!!!

Goldtop
    Last edited by Goldtop; 12-25-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Goldtop

Note: As you may or may not know, I'm not a fan of the Dallas Plowboys. One reason for that is how Coach Tom Landry was treated when Jerry Jones bought the team. Replacing a man is one thing; throwing him out with no notice and zero respect is another. So I included this last video as a tribute to Coach Tom Landry himself.
    Last edited by Goldtop; 12-25-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Good news, bad news time in my world...

Good news is it snowed last night, it's snowing now as I write this (around 10:30 my time Christmas morning), and it's 14 degrees. White Christmas! Also, I'm glad and thankful to be alive and be here, and I hope you're each having a great, safe, happy holiday. I wish you each the best, whatever that may be to you.

Bad news is no Santa visit at my place so far. But I'm hopeful and optimistic and, I'm not giving up yet. Keepin' the faith!

Goldtop
    Last edited by Goldtop; 12-25-2012 at 10:56 AM.

It's getting hot here; the temp has climbed to 18 degrees! I Love It!!!

Gold(Icy)top

Heyyyy, how you doin?

Goldtop Pinkie Ring

Just attended the annual Warren Haynes Christmas jam here in Asheville NC- started at 6:30 and lasted until 2:45 am- full of great Warren moments as always- in the CD player- Tedeschi / Trucks and Joe Bonamassa.... with some Gary Clark Jr. in slot 4...