Page 37 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Goldtop listening to?

Goldtop, who has steered clear of the eggnog so far.
    'And the answer is... none. None more Gold.'

Goldtop, who hasn't seen Santa yet.

It's after midnight here and Santa no-showed me... I can't say it was much of a surprise really. I think I somehow slipped through the cracks a long time ago. I hope none of the rest of you are in the same predicament, and that you received blessings and gifts all day long. I hope it has been a safe and happy time for everybody, and that it only gets better!

Lloyd/Goldtop/QoC

Whew! Twelve degrees as I write this about 1AM on the 26th. May be headed for single digit temps tonight. I'm thankful to be inside.

This may be it for the posts tonight. I hope there was something in all of these that you enjoyed, or that made you laugh, or made you say 'I didn't know _ _ _ _ _ did a Christmas album', something. It wasn't much, but I wanted to try to give everybody a little gift of some kind. There is some amazing stuff on YouTube, including some things that I thought were hilarious but had off-color language, etc. that wasn't suitable here and now.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Lloyd/Goldtop/Queen of Clubs
    Last edited by Goldtop; 12-26-2012 at 12:57 AM.

I don't know about you, but it feels like a Monday to me. I hope everybody had a good, safe holiday. Happy Boxing Day to those celebrating it today.

Here's one of my favorite Santana songs. There are some cool pictures in this... I especially like the one at about the 1:00 mark that shows one of Carlos' less-successful experiments with an alternate pick material.

Goldtop

Don't forget me when I'm gone...

Lloyd/Goldtop/Queen of Clubs

A lot of 'lasts' going on today. What better way to start the day than with some Goldtops doing what they do best?

Lloyd/Goldtop/QoC

I seem to be on a Stones kick today for some reason, and this is one of my favorite Stones tunes. You can really pick up on the feud going on between Mick and Keith at the time over touring. Keith wanted to go out, Mick didn't, and the album bombed.

Happy Saturday Folks! Goldtop

Have you read any good telephone books lately? A wonderful Calexico version of a cool Tom T. Hall song

Tom T. Hall??? Man, we're talking prolific songwriter now. Here's my favorite Bobby Bare tune, which was written by TTH. Also a link to a little bio of Bobby Bare in case anyone is interested. Bill Graham called him 'The Springsteen of Country Music'.

http://www.cmt.com/artists/bobby-bare/biography/

Goldtop

That is a fantastic version of a great song!

I also like this one from Bobby Bare.

Goldtop

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    That is a fantastic version of a great song!

I also like this one from Bobby Bare.
    That's a good one too.

For a long time I didn't really care for Bobby Bare's music, but in the last ten years or so I've started to appreciate it. Maybe I'm getting a little wisdom about music at least, if nothing else.

Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
    That's a good one too.

For a long time I didn't really care for Bobby Bare's music, but in the last ten years or so I've started to appreciate it. Maybe I'm getting a little wisdom about music at least, if nothing else.

Lloyd
    I didn't grow up listening to country music (other than Johnny Cash), so I kind of discovered Country in a backwards fashion. Some of the punk bands I listened to would cover a country song from time to time so I started to investigate some of the original artists work. I've grown to have a tremendous appreciation for old school country over the last 20 years or so.

I didn't grow up listening to country music (other than Johnny Cash), so I kind of discovered Country in a backwards fashion. Some of the punk bands I listened to would cover a country song from time to time so I started to investigate some of the original artists work. I've grown to have a tremendous appreciation for old school country over the last 20 years or so.
    That's interesting Shawn. I was sort of the same way, only in the opposite direction.

My dad was OLD fashioned, and things were done his way or else. He was a big fan of Hank Williams, Lefty, Maddox Bros. and Rose, and especially Bob Wills. Country was the only music allowed on the radio. I liked it, but I wanted more somehow.

About the only common ground we could ever find when it came to music was Elvis. He respected Elvis for going into the service and choosing regular duty over going into the USO. When I could finally have my own radio(s) it was all over. Freedom! The world opened up for me. I clearly remember wanting to go to Woodstock, which was absolutely out of the question. I wanted to see The Who and Jimi, but I was too young to go alone, and my parents wouldn't have gone there at gunpoint.

Now, I'm glad my dad was the way he was. It exposed me to a lot of music that I probably would have avoided if I had had a choice, and I would have missed some great stuff.

I also dig that about Punk bands. Some songs just seem to work no matter what.

Lloyd

My parents like rock & roll. I remember looking through my parents record collection when I was a kid. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Who, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane and my mom wore out her copy of Rod Stewart's Every Picture Tells a Story. The only country records they owned were from Johnny Cash who, in my opinion, transcends genre and everyone can claim Johnny as "one of their own".

I want to dedicate this to both Shawn and my dad. My dad for starting me on the path to loving music, and Shawn for helping me remember when and how it all began.

Lloyd/Goldtop/QoC

My parents like rock & roll. I remember looking through my parents record collection when I was a kid. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Who, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane and my mom wore out her copy of Rod Stewart's Every Picture Tells a Story. The only country records they owned were from Johnny Cash who, in my opinion, transcends genre and everyone can claim Johnny as "one of their own".
    My folks didn't have many records or tapes. When I started spending my allowances on music they thought I was silly. Their attitude was 'why not just turn on the radio when you want to hear music?'. Buying and collecting albums made no sense to them. Wherever they are now, they must think I lost my mind years ago!

Lloyd

P.S. --- 100% with you about Johnny Cash. He cannot and should not be pigeonholed in any way IMO. If any label fits him, I think it's simply "American", but even then he still belongs to the world.

Thanks Lloyd, I wasn't familiar with the Maddox Bros until now.

Thanks Lloyd, I wasn't familiar with the Maddox Bros until now.
    You're welcome.

I only know about them because my dad was so crazy about them. He died in 1982, so I'm a little surprised that I remembered them. I don't know much about them, other than (I think) they were part of the early days of Bakersfield. Precursors to Lefty, Merle, Buck, and all of those guys. Listening to them now, I think they were closer to rock and roll, or at least rockabilly, than my dad realized. Pretty uptempo stuff. Maybe their hillbilly stage costumes swayed him...

Lloyd

Note: Shawn, in case you or anyone else is interested, I just did a quick search about them. Here's the Wikipedia result. Not a lot to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maddox_Brothers_and_Rose
    Last edited by Goldtop; 12-30-2012 at 11:15 PM.